The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital Limiter Quality Test Dynamics Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I used Span and Reaper freq analyser.
From my analyse....

Ozone 8 adds a lot of distortion.

Stealth Limiter ads distortion.

Pro-L2 ads a distortion comparable to Ozone 8.

Kuassa - adds crazy low volume spectrum hi freq noise...increasing up to 20 000 hz. strange ! but this noise is most under -140 db so it's impossible to hear especially at texture set up to 0.50ms +++
why this limiter is really problematic ? seems really transparent beside that quiet noise area. I dont understand what is problem witth that limiter.

Tdr Limiter 6 GE seems not bad.
Acon Digital seems not bad.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTech1 View Post
I used Span and Reaper freq analyser.
From my analyse....

Ozone 8 adds a lot of distortion.
Try IRC IV in Classic or Modern mode with "character" (release) at 10.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Try IRC IV in Classic or Modern mode with "character" (release) at 10.
yes indeed. ozone 8 irc 4 classic and modern is amazing but not depending by character setting. it's depends of peak limiting - disabled or enabled. is amazing when true peak is disabled. when enabled lots of crap starts happening. how i remember
trupe peak disabled was miracle for one of other modes too.

what about that kuassa 2 ? i tested this a lot. depending of texture level (+0.50ms) this limiter creates only very low noises up to -150 db which cant be hearead. it seems nice. why that noises is problem ? on my ear from beginning this limiter at proper settings was more transparent than most competition. i tested it with that knee and attack /relase settings. at 4x oversampling. not only this limter created almost no aliasing but cpu was impressive compared to other distortion generators limiters xd only one problem which i heared is by moving texture knob i hear some phase changes a little bit in audio. is this what happening ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Kuassa - adds crazy low volume spectrum hi freq noise...increasing up to 20 000 hz. strange ! but this noise is most under -140 db so it's impossible to hear especially at texture set up to 0.50ms +++
why this limiter is really problematic ? seems really transparent beside that quiet noise area. I dont understand what is problem witth that limiter.
That sounds like it might be noise shaped dither to 24 bit.

Alistair
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Your way of saying things is so pedantic, why?

Daniel.
Scientific methodology, engineering, and problem solving require an understanding of the underlying principles of operation. Often the concepts involved are not familiar to the lay person, and seem esoteric. When someone, such as an engineer, who is presumed to understand these principles avoids addressing questions or opposing viewpoints by obfuscating or deflecting, the questioner might assume that they have not been clear enough, and thus will attempt to provide more specific details. I suppose that to an outsider this may look "pedantic" but despite the era we're living in, I believe that facts still matter, and I think that solipsistic obfuscators and bull****ters should be held accountable for the statements that they make.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Last edited by zmix; 1 week ago at 02:17 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
That sounds like it might be noise shaped dither to 24 bit.

Alistair
Ok i uploaded two files.

first is dry sine wave.

second is kuassa 2 enabled.

what is conclusion ?
dither is disabled.

johannburkard described it in own as clipping. it is really what happening here ? look at this wave. these changes happening in area which cant be heared (!)

by increasing volume this region of noise not goin up by killing dynamic range. so my conclusion this is not clipping at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital Limiter Quality Test-bypass-1.jpg   Digital Limiter Quality Test-bypass-1-wet-.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ok i uploaded two files.

first is dry sine wave.

second is kuassa 2 enabled.

what is conclusion ?
dither is disabled.
It looks like dither. Maybe the dither on/off button is broken? Are there any dither settings in the plugin? For instance to 16 bit? See how that looks like. If it is the same but just higher in volume (48dB louder probably) then it is probably dither. Are there any noise shaping settings? You could also try changing those and see what comes out of the plugin.

Alistair
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
It looks like dither. Maybe the dither on/off button is broken? Are there any dither settings in the plugin? For instance to 16 bit? See how that looks like. If it is the same but just higher in volume (48dB louder probably) then it is probably dither. Are there any noise shaping settings? You could also try changing those and see what comes out of the plugin.

Alistair
on my test looks like there is no difference between enabled and disabled dither 24...spectrum looks the same (!)

difference in dynamic range occurs only when i change enabled dither into 8bit. on 8bit finally dynamic range decrease. on 16 bit dither is no difference between dynamic range of 24 on/off dither.

so my conclusion are good from begin....kratos maximizer 2 is goood limiter very good. except that dither error ?

it looks like dither works all the time (?) shape changes works on 24 and 8 bit yes. on 16 bit looks same as on 24 bit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
johannburkard described it in own as clipping. it is really what happening here ? look at this wave. these changes happening in area which cant be heared (!)
All I'm seeing on your screenshots is dither noise (with some rather smooth shaping), but did you do a 10 dB volume jump? Is the limiter actually limiting anything?

Dithering is another topic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
All I'm seeing on your screenshots is dither noise (with some rather smooth shaping), but did you do a 10 dB volume jump? Is the limiter actually limiting anything?

Dithering is another topic.
I see almost none aliasing, distortions when texture parameter is set relatively hi (at least slightly more than minimal volume). It's definitely not clipping when texture param is more than minial value. knob sound a little like knee in compressor i guess so i set it at 0. adaptive value at relase and 0 at relase and voila...it really sound like nice limiter i guess.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

@ XTech1 I can't give you tips for the Kvassa limiter you're using but with SPAN and the test file in this thread, you can probably find settings that are more or less distorted.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I tested with that wav file. Kratos 2 maximizer seems distortion independently of settings . What a joke.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I decided to test and compare all my limiters - including demos.
In my opinion "by ear" most transparent is Fabfilter Pro-L2 and at second place
Stealth Limiter. Pro-L2 safe most of dynamics in hi registers at second place on this is Stealth Limiter.

at third position i would put
Ozone 8. This limiters settings in some scenarios can bring out some details of tracks in unique super positive way. Ofcource by setting change audio in own way but at same time bringing out details.

these three limiters can deal pretty interesting with medium level of limiting by my ear test.

and with low level of limiting - only couple of db - wery nice are

TDR 6GE - (sound can be very clean and set in way super positive way = by work on dynamics - by modules - for track used with)

Barricade 4 ( this limiter somehow change a sound a little, little bit - in most cases in positive way) but very nicely dealing with low end - dynamics at low end is priority in this limiter which is my concluson on ear - sounds seems smooth and natural somehow dynamics at higher registry is lowered but this gives a feel of glueing effect for track and not changing low registry dynamics at all cost - interesting warm glueing effect ?)

last:
Kratos Maximizer. I tried it with different materials. Dynamics is really somehow killed by this. I noticed even after put this limiter on track - that track sound is somehow changed little even when no limiting is in process.
Sound is changed not in positive way - sounds like stereo (phase issues?) come and transparency of audio is changed a little in degradation way especially at hi freq when lot is happening. hi detail is gone a little bit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search