The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pultec HW vs SW - Pulse vs Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

6, 3 and 5 for me. PM'd you for the results.

Thanks for doing this!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the results, b0se.

Looks like I need to do a little shopping, now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Thanks for the results, b0se.

Looks like I need to do a little shopping, now.
Very welcome
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Very good thread, thank you

My choice, I prefer (from top to bottom) :

1, 6, 2, 3, 5, 4, 7

Please, PM the results
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I hear no difference on studio monitors when just listening to overall sound rather then trying to pick up some microscopic nuances. I think #7 had a little less bass but if I bumped the knob by 0.5dB I'd probably make it sound exactly the same as the rest.

Bottom line: they're all the same.

Fretting over differences in these plugins is dumb and a waste of time (although I do appreciate OP effort to prove this point).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
I hear no difference on studio monitors when just listening to overall sound rather then trying to pick up some microscopic nuances. I think #7 had a little less bass but if I bumped the knob by 0.5dB I'd probably make it sound exactly the same as the rest.

Bottom line: they're all the same.

Fretting over differences in these plugins is dumb and a waste of time (although I do appreciate OP effort to prove this point).
What monitors? I can hear differences, although I agree to a point; using £3K HW isn't necessary.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
What monitors? I can hear differences, although I agree to a point; using £3K HW isn't necessary.
Mackie HR824 mk2. The difference are there only because you look for them. Play these to a random person and noone will tell. Not to mention in the context of the whole mix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mackie HR824 mk2. The difference are there only because you look for them. Play these to a random person and noone will tell. Not to mention in the context of the whole mix.
Old story... You can say that about 99% of what gets discussed here. And it would be partly true. This does NOT make the pursuit of excellence and nuance irrelevant to the artist, though maybe to the bean counter. I easily hear what are significant differences to me. And my favorite was not the hardware, FWIW.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
Old story... You can say that about 99% of what gets discussed here. And it would be partly true. This does NOT make the pursuit of excellence and nuance irrelevant to the artist, though maybe to the bean counter. I easily hear what are significant differences to me. And my favorite was not the hardware, FWIW.
My thoughts as well. And, from most of the responses, it looks like there's a definite pattern of which clips most people are gravitating to. Coincidence?

Nuieve, the only thing I seem to agree with you on is the aliasing. I ran some tones thru the Rule Tec and it was the only one that I tested that was doing that. Now, I know that music is different than tones, but over many instances, all that hash adds up. I really like the tone, workflow and price so I hope they can clean that up soon.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Rule Tec devs have mentioned they're adding oversampling @ junior

@ Piedpiper - well said.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I like 6 the best. My second favorite is 3. I don't really like 7. Other than that, they're all pretty close.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Without telling who is who here in public, what would be an objective summary of this test? Do the results reveal that one or 2 files is prefered statistically to the others? Or is it more like 50/50 for all? The prefered ones were HW? SW?
It would be great to know As i don't have time to do the test but interested on what it prooves.
Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Without telling who is who here in public, what would be an objective summary of this test? Do the results reveal that one or 2 files is prefered statistically to the others? Or is it more like 50/50 for all? The prefered ones were HW? SW?
It would be great to know As i don't have time to do the test but interested on what it prooves.
Thanks!
It's not to prove anything really. A simple test to see if my fave ITB plugins could match the sonics of the Pulse HW. To my ears, some can.

Results wise, option 6 is the most popular. If you'd like to know which is which PM me directly as I do not wish to reveal the results in the thread
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Rule Tec devs have mentioned they're adding oversampling @ junior

@ Piedpiper - well said.
That's awesome news! Did they mention a time frame?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
It's better be 262144 bit oversampling, not just 64... 64 sounds absolutely terrible compared to 262144, I know everyone on GS can clearly hear it!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I easily hear what are significant differences to me. And my favorite was not the hardware, FWIW.
And now you will be sent to the "re-education camp"!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Interesting statistics thus far.

1 and 6 are the biggest crowd pleasers, with 6 as king.

3 is essentially an overall 3rd favorite with 4 & 5 following, basically a tie.

6 is the only one not criticized of the bunch.

2 is mildly liked but not heavily criticized.

7 is the most criticized and least favorite of the majority.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's better be 262144 bit oversampling, not just 64... 64 sounds absolutely terrible compared to 262144, I know everyone on GS can clearly hear it!!!
There's room for all of us here on this island. No need to proclaim the superiority of one point of view over another. My point was not to do that, but to proclaim the existence and validity of one other than yours.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
There's room for all of us here on this island. No need to proclaim the superiority of one point of view over another. My point was not to do that, but to proclaim the existence and validity of one other than yours.
Hey... I was just joking. No offence. Any improvement is improvement. There's no end to perfection.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's fer sher...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'd love to know which one was which.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harewood View Post
I'd love to know which one was which.
Sent!
Old 6 days ago
Pm me results PLEASE. I listened QUICK and liked #1 and #6 !
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru
PM please! Thx for doing this....
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptycontainer View Post
Pm me results PLEASE. I listened QUICK and liked #1 and #6 !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
PM please! Thx for doing this....
Done.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Done.
I've PMed but not received any results
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've PMed but not received any results
Must have missed that - incoming :¬)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Have you considered adding PureTeq to the mix? It's Acqua on N4
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
Have you considered adding PureTeq to the mix? It's Acqua on N4
Already tried to, but the trial version was acting up. I may revisit it at some point (too busy at the moment), along with Purple2
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

New version of Rule Tec with antialiasing!

https://www.noiseash.com/downloads/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search