The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering shootout.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mastering shootout.

Sorry.

Last edited by Bradahman; 3 weeks ago at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Not considerate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Level matching them would have been... so nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry

Last edited by Bradahman; 3 weeks ago at 10:14 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradahman View Post
Sorry, it was level in my DAW. The upload changed it up.
Right, I think that says all we need to know...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sorry

Last edited by Bradahman; 3 weeks ago at 10:14 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Did you get the cost on each ME's cables before submitting your material? According to the forum they could be responsible for some sonic differences you have there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Just curious to the mastering engineers here, isn’t the fact that some mastering engineers gave him back different volume level masters just a part of the result? I mean, isn’t he gonna get back different levels anyway depending on that mastering house? I would say that would play a role in choosing a favorite. Some mastering engineers play the loudness war and try to live at 0db and some more dynamic, no? I don’t think OP should have to then try to balance them all, he’s just submitting to us what he got back as he got it, no? To me, that’s just another part of the listening experience and choosing which engineer did the best job.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Just curious to the mastering engineers here, isn’t the fact that some mastering engineers gave him back different volume level masters just a part of the result? I mean, isn’t he gonna get back different levels anyway depending on that mastering house? I would say that would play a role in choosing a favorite. Some mastering engineers play the loudness war and try to live at 0db and some more dynamic, no? I don’t think OP should have to then try to balance them all, he’s just submitting to us what he got back as he got it, no? To me, that’s just another part of the listening experience and choosing which engineer did the best job.
I think both perspectives may count in a comparisson. Andboth tell nothing too. This is what makes such shootouts that worseless. [Same goes for before/after examples on MEs websites].
In the end it really helps when the client has a vision and has booked a ME that is able to put this exact vision to the next level.
But just using such a big and random bunch of ME that offers (free?) testmasters leads to nowhere for both, client and ME, but a huge waiste of time, money and effort.

As a potential client I would choose two or three MEs that I like from their work and that are within my budget, talk to them freely, pay them fair and then see what they may offer. But remember the first master for a new client is always a kind of shoot in the dark.
Some words regarding mix and expectation might help the ME to better aim at your personal needs. Human interaction can really live from honest communication.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search