The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Great to hear you were eventually able to have a listen to the files. You wanna know the results?
Yes please, and thanks for setting up this listening test!
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthCat View Post
Results pretty please :3
Tell us your findings or at least your favorite. That's the deal. ;-)
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Tell us your findings or at least your favorite. That's the deal. ;-)
Okay okay

I want to believe that E is the X-rack because I liked that one the most lol. They're all very close without the +3db though.

I can't even confidently identify anything other than the flavors of tracks I like the most.

But yeah, short answer: E
Old 13th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthCat View Post
Okay okay

I want to believe that E is the X-rack because I liked that one the most lol. They're all very close without the +3db though.

I can't even confidently identify anything other than the flavors of tracks I like the most.

But yeah, short answer: E
Thanx, PM sent.

By the way, unless you already own the hardware, shouldn't you in fact hope your favorite is the cheapest of all plugins? Just thinkin'...
Old 20th July 2019
Came from the older thread. Listened to them on an audiophile DAC (from Chord), Eve Audio SC208, and a DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm connected to the DAC.

This DAC with the monitors make everything more pleasant than it is. The DT 770 is less detailed than my other headphones but maybe the only one I would try to use for mixing.

I did not guess about the plugins because I don’t know them. I wrote notes of my first impressions after a few seconds. I started with headphones. On the monitors, I listened only to the +3dB versions because the longer the test takes the more confused I get.

Before I start, that open hat on the left channel was horrible for me. Although it’s not the kind of music I ever listen to, it was okay but for me, that hat was more like a noise than music. This will be important regarding the preference list.

The below, except for the last few paragraphs, is a near to unedited list of my first impression notes.

Headphones:

A: left channel hat harsh, separation is good

B: smoother and more musical than A

C: louder, more coherent the previous two but left hat is the most annoying on this

D: no dynamics. falls apart

E: harsh, meh, I can’t stand it

F: kind of okay, +3db still okay but B was better

What I liked the most were F, B

Speakers:

A: is not that bad but nothing special

B: almost too smooth. something is missing.

C: would be great without the left hat(s). okay, this would win if the hat didn’t drive me crazy

D: my ears getting tired but I don’t like it

E: this is harsh on anything. there should have been a warning, like there is one for Laser Class I

F: bit muddy compared to B in the vocals and the lows. on other areas, a bit better

I would pick B or F on speakers. Most likely the B.

I think the source might have been harsh. For me, this test boiled down to which mix I could survive. I could say it was a defensive test. (I’m not criticizing the music but the recording). Maybe I liked the B because I could hear the left hat/noise the least in that mix. It’s not that simple although because the F was lacking in some areas where B was more presenting.

The C was also somewhere between bright and harsh. The details were great. The mix felt great. Now I listened to it again. Remove that hat, and it wins for me.

Otherwise, either B or F, depending on the equipment and my mood. More likely the B.

I tried D one more time on speakers. Still no dynamics.

E: It’s the one I could not stand. For example, in a restaurant, I would either ask the waiter to turn it off or I would leave.
Old 21st July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
Came from the older thread. Listened to them on an audiophile DAC (from Chord), Eve Audio SC208, and a DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm connected to the DAC.

This DAC with the monitors make everything more pleasant than it is. The DT 770 is less detailed than my other headphones but maybe the only one I would try to use for mixing.

I did not guess about the plugins because I don’t know them. I wrote notes of my first impressions after a few seconds. I started with headphones. On the monitors, I listened only to the +3dB versions because the longer the test takes the more confused I get.

Before I start, that open hat on the left channel was horrible for me. Although it’s not the kind of music I ever listen to, it was okay but for me, that hat was more like a noise than music. This will be important regarding the preference list.

The below, except for the last few paragraphs, is a near to unedited list of my first impression notes.

Headphones:

A: left channel hat harsh, separation is good

B: smoother and more musical than A

C: louder, more coherent the previous two but left hat is the most annoying on this

D: no dynamics. falls apart

E: harsh, meh, I can’t stand it

F: kind of okay, +3db still okay but B was better

What I liked the most were F, B

Speakers:

A: is not that bad but nothing special

B: almost too smooth. something is missing.

C: would be great without the left hat(s). okay, this would win if the hat didn’t drive me crazy

D: my ears getting tired but I don’t like it

E: this is harsh on anything. there should have been a warning, like there is one for Laser Class I

F: bit muddy compared to B in the vocals and the lows. on other areas, a bit better

I would pick B or F on speakers. Most likely the B.

I think the source might have been harsh. For me, this test boiled down to which mix I could survive. I could say it was a defensive test. (I’m not criticizing the music but the recording). Maybe I liked the B because I could hear the left hat/noise the least in that mix. It’s not that simple although because the F was lacking in some areas where B was more presenting.

The C was also somewhere between bright and harsh. The details were great. The mix felt great. Now I listened to it again. Remove that hat, and it wins for me.

Otherwise, either B or F, depending on the equipment and my mood. More likely the B.

I tried D one more time on speakers. Still no dynamics.

E: It’s the one I could not stand. For example, in a restaurant, I would either ask the waiter to turn it off or I would leave.
Thanx for your detailed response, man. Sorry you couldn't stand the hat. As I stated in the first post, this is nothing more than a level and pan balance with the tracks going through a Brauerize multibus-system (hitting lightly here), so basically the raw tracks with just a little polish before the SSL's. In my opinion these tracks (which I have NOT recorded) sound pretty damn good.
PM on the way.
Old 21st July 2019
Quote:
Thanx for your detailed response, man. Sorry you couldn't stand the hat. As I stated in the first post, this is nothing more than a level and pan balance with the tracks going through a Brauerize multibus-system (hitting lightly here), so basically the raw tracks with just a little polish before the SSL's. In my opinion these tracks (which I have NOT recorded) sound pretty damn good.
PM on the way.
There might have been some misunderstanding, mostly due to my habit to use overstatement. I don’t want to, but so many people go for understatement. I cook with what’s left.

I don’t think it was like Class I Laser. Class II maybe.

Let me talk straight.

Your threads are the most helpful for a long time. I know you put a lot of time in it. The result is excellent.

Although I use overstatements, they must be the truth. Mix E was fatiguing for my ears. I find many mixes harsh that many people like. The same applies to audio gear.

In this regard, the recording in the other thread was better for my ears.

( SSL Channel Shootout (bx_SSL E, Waves, Duende v6, Console 1) )

However, this was not about your test but the recording.

The test was perfect. Recordings have flaws. People have various preferences and sensitivities. For me, it was essential to hear and learn which plugins made it smoother/warmer (kept it as it was), and which one disturbed me.

That high-frequency sound is not really a hat. I don’t know the name of the instrument. Maybe some metal thing that some pulls around on another metal item. I know little about live music. It’s far the left in about 100% panning.

When I wrote my message, I did not listen to the raw file. (If it’s a test, the fewer things to compare, the better.)

Later, I listened to it. I like the raw file more than mix E.

I also believe you did a decent job in leveling the loudness. Someone wrote in the other thread that more high frequencies can make a mix sound louder. I believe this makes the loudness different from person to person. The two mixes I considered a bit louder (one in each thread) were the brightest.

I want to thank you all the effort you have put into them.
Old 22nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Looks like this thread has caused this lurker to finally post something this year

C - nicely smeary quality
A - less smeared; vocal is a bit more present
B - bit less energy, but close
D - flatter/more dense
E - bright
F - muffled

Truthfully, I would be happy with any of my top three choices and ultimately much of the differences would compensated for by mixing through them.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Funny enough, in my opinion F is the most christal clear, less muffled one of the whole bunch. I could understand if someone says „thin“ but „muffled“ I don‘t get. IMHO of course
Old 22nd July 2019
Here for the gear

Fair enough. I don't necessarily think of thin and muffled as mutually exclusive categories. I wanted to post my initial thoughts, if I listened again I'd probably change some of the adjectives and possibly even the order.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

No need, it‘s OK... I was just a bit surprised about it.
Old 23rd July 2019
I think it just proves every set of ears is different and above all every one listens for different qualities and nuances in a sound.
Old 23rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Super interesting listen, thanks for doing this. Comparing the +3 versions was especially enlightening.
None of them stand out as "bad" to me, and after a few seconds of each my ears grew accustomed to the sound as "totally fine".

I did feel like C and F stood out though, adding some % "more" to the raw mix, which was more apparent in the +3 files. They seemed to be doing that thing where the snare/vocal ratio gets pinned in an even spot and there's subtly more evenness across the stereo field, both in frequencies and volume. Definitely curious what is what
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesey View Post
Super interesting listen, thanks for doing this. Comparing the +3 versions was especially enlightening.
None of them stand out as "bad" to me, and after a few seconds of each my ears grew accustomed to the sound as "totally fine".

I did feel like C and F stood out though, adding some % "more" to the raw mix, which was more apparent in the +3 files. They seemed to be doing that thing where the snare/vocal ratio gets pinned in an even spot and there's subtly more evenness across the stereo field, both in frequencies and volume. Definitely curious what is what
Thank you, PM on the way!
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Funny enough, in my opinion F is the most christal clear, less muffled one of the whole bunch. I could understand if someone says „thin“ but „muffled“ I don‘t get. IMHO of course
There were sounds I could hear as more complex with B than with F. Maybe some guitar.

It doesn’t mean F is less clear than B. It can be something to do with the frequencies (their balance).
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear

They're all too damn close for my old ears! A feels the most glued together when listening through AKG K712's

Please PM me the results!

Cheers
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks for the shootout. I'm just a 46 year old hobbyist/rookie at this stuff and I think most of them sound good enough and similar enough for anything I would do. It shows me that I have a lot more critical listening and learning to do before I could ever justify big purchases.

The only one I found myself shying away from was B. It seemed narrower, or flatter...it just didn't hit me right. Overall, I didn't like the +3dB files as much as the raw and lightly compressed files; the snare was doing that SSL snare thing and changing the tone too much for my liking. I did take some time to flip the polarity on a number of tracks compare where things were grabbing and I even put my IK Bus Compressor on a raw track and was able to achieve some decent results comparing "C" from both the original and +3dB files.

Listening environment was: Reaper -> Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP -> Sony MDR-7520.

Thanks again for the test, and thanks for leaving it blind. I'll take a PM with the results whenever you have some spare time.

Matt
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanx for sharing your findings, Matt! PM on the way...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
PM on the way...
Very interesting. I look forward to revisiting the tracks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Can you please pm me the results! I'm interested in the Stam.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme David View Post
Can you please pm me the results! I'm interested in the Stam.
Sure, but tell us your findings first, if you don't mind.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Sure, but tell us your findings first, if you don't mind.
For sure!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
For sure!
And? ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
And? ;-)
I prefer C the most but I wish it was a little brighter. Then I like A. E has the least amount of depth and sounds like everything is smashed up to the front.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

can u pm me the results?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I prefer C the most but I wish it was a little brighter. Then I like A. E has the least amount of depth and sounds like everything is smashed up to the front.
Thanx. PM on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKAudio View Post
can u pm me the results?
Sure. Would you also tell us what you think first?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

They all sound so similar! But there was a noticeable difference between B and C for me and I’m curious to know if that’s a HW/SW difference or not! Would love to see the results when you’re able to send!

Thanks for the test
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydotjaymill View Post
They all sound so similar! But there was a noticeable difference between B and C for me and I’m curious to know if that’s a HW/SW difference or not! Would love uto see the results when you’re able to send!

Thanks for the test
Interesting, thank you. PM coming right up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thank you for this interesting test!

I think they sound., best to worst in the following order:

1. C
2. F
3. A
4. D
5. E
6. B

Looking forward to find out the results!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringmethatoumph View Post
Thank you for this interesting test!

I think they sound., best to worst in the following order:

1. C
2. F
3. A
4. D
5. E
6. B

Looking forward to find out the results!
Thank you! PM on the way...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search