The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head
I like C and F. Maybe slightly more F.

Then E, then D, then A.

Dislike B.

Nice Song.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Bx_townhouse on sale right now for 49 bucks y’all
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Bx_townhouse on sale right now for 49 bucks y’all
Hilarious, exactly why I am reading this! In looking into Townhouse, I saw you really liked it a lot on another thread I think. Since I compose produce more orchestral followed by jazz then rock, I'm thinking the current PA sale I might get more out of bx subsynth since it is a trick used all the time in movie scores/tv scores... adding an octave lower the the low end and mixing in for badass fullness/power.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwr View Post
Hilarious, exactly why I am reading this! In looking into Townhouse, I saw you really liked it a lot on another thread I think. Since I compose produce more orchestral followed by jazz then rock, I'm thinking the current PA sale I might get more out of bx subsynth since it is a trick used all the time in movie scores/tv scores... adding an octave lower the the low end and mixing in for badass fullness/power.
For orchestral and jazz, be sure to check out the new Vertigo Sound VSC-3 plugin. Perfect fit.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
For orchestral and jazz, be sure to check out the new Vertigo Sound VSC-3 plugin. Perfect fit.
The VSC-2 in on sale at PA in the Mastering 1 package for cheap.... wonder how it compares with the new VSC-3, any idea?
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwr View Post
The VSC-2 in on sale at PA in the Mastering 1 package for cheap.... wonder how it compares with the new VSC-3, any idea?
Head over to the VSC-3 thread, loads of feedback. In short: VSC-3 is much better!
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Head over to the VSC-3 thread, loads of feedback. In short: VSC-3 is much better!
That's where I've been for 20+ minutes... i may just need to demo it, thanks.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Maniac

very difficult....they all sound flat with no depth....but maybe my favorite is D....but all very close.... my dislike is the B
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Nut

I liked C or F. can't decide worst one. Thanks for the files anyway!
Old 16th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojei View Post
I liked C or F. can't decide worst one. Thanks for the files anyway!
Thanx for chiming in. PM'd you the results.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Nut

Listening through an Apogee Groove and AKG K701s, taking notes on the non +3 files as I go…

A: Don’t really like what it’s doing when it compresses harder.

B: Nothing special. I don’t really like the way it changes the place of the vocals between the two sections, but that might be able to be solved by automating the vocals going into it.

C: Sounds pretty good. Glues the mix together without altering the balance.

D: Now that I’ve heard this, C seems kind of flat in comparison. This one maintains the balance and adds a nice sparkle.

E: The music sounds pretty good on this one, but it ruins the vocals for me, smashes them into the mix too much and makes them sound like they need a de-esser. It also widens the stereo image in an unnatural way – cymbals have moved pretty far to the sides.

F: This one might be my favorite. It’s close to a tie with D. Although now that I’ve noticed the sibilance in the vocals, I can’t unhear it on any of the compressors. It’s not as bad on some that I liked less, could be a mix issue. Also, AKG701s are pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

Went through and listened again focusing on bass. I thought the bass sounded best on D, followed by C.

Overall D is my favorite followed closely by F and C. Based on this track tested, I'd pass on the others, especially B.
Old 18th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
Listening through an Apogee Groove and AKG K701s, taking notes on the non +3 files as I go…

A: Don’t really like what it’s doing when it compresses harder.

B: Nothing special. I don’t really like the way it changes the place of the vocals between the two sections, but that might be able to be solved by automating the vocals going into it.

C: Sounds pretty good. Glues the mix together without altering the balance.

D: Now that I’ve heard this, C seems kind of flat in comparison. This one maintains the balance and adds a nice sparkle.

E: The music sounds pretty good on this one, but it ruins the vocals for me, smashes them into the mix too much and makes them sound like they need a de-esser. It also widens the stereo image in an unnatural way – cymbals have moved pretty far to the sides.

F: This one might be my favorite. It’s close to a tie with D. Although now that I’ve noticed the sibilance in the vocals, I can’t unhear it on any of the compressors. It’s not as bad on some that I liked less, could be a mix issue. Also, AKG701s are pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

Went through and listened again focusing on bass. I thought the bass sounded best on D, followed by C.

Overall D is my favorite followed closely by F and C. Based on this track tested, I'd pass on the others, especially B.
Thanx for your detailed response! PM you the answers. I highly suggest listening to the +3 files nonetheless.
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Thanx for your detailed response! PM you the answers. I highly suggest listening to the +3 files nonetheless.
Yeah, I may have gotten slightly different answers if I had been listening to the +3 files.

I put the +3 files of my favorite three from before (C,D,F) into ABX software so I could still do blind shootouts between pairs of them. I picked five times for each pair in order to make sure the differences I was hearing were real. This slightly changed my preferences between the three, but it's not as blind of a test because knowing which two are in each pair might give me a clue as to what to listen for. Nevertheless, there was still no clear winner among the three. I liked two of the three equally, preferring different aspects of what they do.

Last edited by sumskilz; 18th April 2019 at 10:47 AM..
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Head
Would love to see Acustica Audio's SAND thrown to the mix. I'm demoing it and it's a really nice SSL Bus Comp emulation.
Old 23rd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywshuo View Post
Would love to see Acustica Audio's SAND thrown to the mix. I'm demoing it and it's a really nice SSL Bus Comp emulation.
I'm sure it is, I just don't own it.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

my choice is RAW
Old 24th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodrive View Post
my choice is RAW
Fair enough.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I'm sure it is, I just don't own it.
There is a 30 day full function free demo period. I’m very impressed by all of Acustica Audio’s products. Especially SAND and Ultramarine for bus compression. Just bought a Tegeler Audio Crème hardware but I can barely tell which is better if not pushed to extreme settings.
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywshuo View Post
There is a 30 day full function free demo period. I’m very impressed by all of Acustica Audio’s products. Especially SAND and Ultramarine for bus compression. Just bought a Tegeler Audio Crème hardware but I can barely tell which is better if not pushed to extreme settings.
Try L-BUS (Nebula) or Vertigo VSC-3. Both better than Sand imo. Especially the auto release.
Old 19th May 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

Hey guys, I haven't did one of these in a long time. As I've come to the point that they sound so much like the hardware it's really hard to pick. I will in this case to show support as I know how much time and how hard it is to do this and do it correctly.
I know each plugin very well but I have no idea how the Mynx and/or the Stam hardware units sound so here is my guess.

A - Mynx - Sounds like it has a little more lowend than the rest - I like this one.
B - FG-Grey
C - SSL Duende
D - Waves
E - bx_Townhouse - Sounds closest to the console for me - Love like this one as well
F - Stam

I like the +3 which is what I really based these on.
To be honest, I would love to see how they would sound even more pushed as that would separate the men from the boys. We use to push these units.

Anyway, great song and really great mix. Love to know which is which.

Thx as always, Marc
Old 19th May 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

I honestly love to hear the saturation of the hardware. meaning, before turning up the threshold, push the mix into it. once the needle starts to move then move the threshold or even, push it until you hear saturation/distortion then pull back until you don't hear distortion only saturation then start to move the needle.
The SSL version and the Waves version didn't model the saturation piece but bx did.

Anyway, great thread!

Marc
Old 19th May 2019
I actually bought the BX Townhouse off the back of this thread, also as it was on sale recently. I did demo it first and loved the sound. But I have to say although it’s got great tone and compresses quite nicely, for fidelity (maintaining width and openness, especially on the master or drum bus) the UAD SSL GBus does a better job. Also seems a little punchier and leaves less of a footprint, to my ears.

I’m not sure if this because UAD up-sample with their DSP, so maybe if I ran my session at 88 or 92 KHz that difference would disappear (I run at 44 kHz).

And please nobody accuse me of being a UAD fanboy or simply being biased because I have a lot of UAD. I buy what I like best which also includes other brands, which is why I bought the Townhouse. So no, no bias.
Old 4th June 2019
Here for the gear

I think C and E seemed the most true and also smooth even with the saturation of the gear. Could I have a PM?
Old 4th June 2019
Here for the gear

C and E seemed the most true and also smooth even with the saturation from the gear. Could I get a PM?
Old 4th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstephenson View Post
C and E seemed the most true and also smooth even with the saturation from the gear. Could I get a PM?
PM on the way
Old 13th June 2019
Would LOVE a PM. 'B' and 'D' are me favorites. 'B' being the #1 for me!
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptycontainer View Post
Would LOVE a PM. 'B' and 'D' are me favorites. 'B' being the #1 for me!
PM sent, thanx for participating.
Old 25th June 2019
Here for the gear

Please PM me the results

My observations in a cheep Desktop speaker

A - Sounds bit sharp

B - Has Some charactor and bit harsh in the uppder mids but not there yet. May be Waves SSL

C- Sounds Like hardware and has the Analog vibe and charactor. Snare sounds nice. Everything just glues together really nice.

D- Sounds good and transparent. Mostly HW.

E- Sounds great and transparent but the upper mids a little harsh

F- Little harsh and digital vibe

I liked C and D the most and hated A and F the most. I havent worked a lot on these Hardware at all and I dont know their sound.
Old 25th June 2019
Here for the gear

I actually own the STAM SA4000+ and I'm really curious to know the results. Please PM me as well. Thanks.
Old 25th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansolo View Post
I actually own the STAM SA4000+ and I'm really curious to know the results. Please PM me as well. Thanks.
Oh and I actually liked C.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search