The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse) Studio Headphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar View Post
How about some statistics, how many guessed right, etc. Can we see the numbers please?
Problem I have with that angle is that this should not be about right or wrong. It's about showcasing how close plugins and hardware have become and to let everyone listen and pick a favourite. If that's a plug, this is not wrong, it's personal taste and proving the whole point, because if plugins sucked everyone would choose the hardware. And this I can say for sure is definitely NOT the case. ;-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Maybe you could add a poll and see who likes what best?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Maybe you could add a poll and see who likes what best?
Yeah, let me think about it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It was not easy but

I prefer F and E for different reasons, color vs transparent

F have more low end and i even think F might be software, i think F is BX Townhouse

A could be bx Townhouse too, but i think A is actually the Waves G comp
A and F sounds similar, they both sounds most colored out of the bunch which SSL isnt really known for
but A sounds a bit looser to me vs F so i prefer F for color

E i think its the Stam HW very nice glue and punch, it can sound smaller than F because of less low end
but i love the glue and punch in E and in the context of this song it works great, its easy to boost some low end if needed after the comp E so i put E and A on 1st place, i just cant give any of these second place

I also like D : i think this is the SSL HW

Its darn hard filling out all 6 comps so im going with the ones i liked the most and now i also reveal what comp i like the least

1st place E : i`m guessing Stam HW
shared 1st place F : possibly BX Townhouse, depends on mood and if more color is wanted over E if i owned E OFC
2nd place D : i`m guessing SSL HW a little less bass than E but still works great in the context of the song, also nice glue and punch, a bit more open and than E but there is a similarity between them
Last place : B, sounds to open for my tastes, im guessing its Slate based on other ssl G bus software shootouts where i preferred slate the least

Nicely mixed and a great song where can i hear the whole song ?

It was also exactly this type of material i really wanted to hear the different SSL`s working

I hope i got it wrong and that all the comps i liked the most is software

Thank you so much JSchlomo, now you can send me a pm
And yes i would love to hear how the the stam sounds with carnhil transformers engaged
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Interesting that B is chosen as the least favourite (7 people) as much as any other unit has been picked as the most favourite (C/E/F).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Interesting that B is chosen as the least favourite (7 people) as much as any other unit has been picked as the most favourite (C/E/F).
Doesn’t seem there’s much agreement on what B actually sounds like either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the problem of those HW/SW tests is that the SW ones are not passed though the D/A/D converter loop (is it true here?).

I think converters sound signature, depending on the used converters, can influence our perception of differences.

Maybe the source of the plugin tests should be the D/A/D loop, to just compare "processing", and not "SW processing" VS "converters + HW processing".
Even if, in the end, with plugins, we would not be using converters, of course.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funka View Post
I think the problem of those HW/SW tests is that the SW ones are not passed though the D/A/D converter loop (is it true here?).

I think converters sound signature, depending on the used converters, can influence our perception of differences.

Maybe the source of the plugin tests should be the D/A/D loop, to just compare "processing", and not "SW processing" VS "converters + HW processing".
Even if, in the end, with plugins, we would not be using converters, of course.
I've mentioned this before, the point of utilizing a technology is for better or for worse. A true test then is comparing tools or processors not just the sound but the circumstances of using that particular thing. Since there's generally no conversion in using a plugin, this is the true test. With hardware it's different so we take it better or for worse.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fair, I understand your point, but the "worse" (with D/A/D) may vary enough to mask differences.
Just that I would like to see(hear) if with D/A/D involved with plugins used here, would we still point the same preferences... I am just wondering.
Old 2 weeks ago
To me, there are two aspects to consider.
  • First is the compressor adding any colour, if so is it to your liking, does it suit the mix?
  • Second is how is the actual compression, does it give the track what it needs, right amount of glue, retain the transients?

The other thing to keep in mind with all this is that it would be different in the real world where typically you may have a target sound and vibe and then mix to achieve it. If you did that with each of these compressors. The results might even be more close. As you would compensate and adjust to get what you were after.
Old 2 weeks ago
In response to the conversion: Yes, I did not pass the plugs through the converters. This would be the truest technical comparison setup, but as others mentioned that misses the point as in reality I would never run plugins through a D/A/D loop.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
It was not easy but

I prefer F and E for different reasons, color vs transparent

F have more low end and i even think F might be software, i think F is BX Townhouse

A could be bx Townhouse too, but i think A is actually the Waves G comp
A and F sounds similar, they both sounds most colored out of the bunch which SSL isnt really known for
but A sounds a bit looser to me vs F so i prefer F for color

E i think its the Stam HW very nice glue and punch, it can sound smaller than F because of less low end
but i love the glue and punch in E and in the context of this song it works great, its easy to boost some low end if needed after the comp E so i put E and A on 1st place, i just cant give any of these second place

I also like D : i think this is the SSL HW

Its darn hard filling out all 6 comps so im going with the ones i liked the most and now i also reveal what comp i like the least

1st place E : i`m guessing Stam HW
shared 1st place F : possibly BX Townhouse, depends on mood and if more color is wanted over E if i owned E OFC
2nd place D : i`m guessing SSL HW a little less bass than E but still works great in the context of the song, also nice glue and punch, a bit more open and than E but there is a similarity between them
Last place : B, sounds to open for my tastes, im guessing its Slate based on other ssl G bus software shootouts where i preferred slate the least

Nicely mixed and a great song where can i hear the whole song ?

It was also exactly this type of material i really wanted to hear the different SSL`s working

I hope i got it wrong and that all the comps i liked the most is software

Thank you so much JSchlomo, now you can send me a pm
And yes i would love to hear how the the stam sounds with carnhil transformers engaged
You're welcome. Prepare to be surprised.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Favourite to least favourite order D, C, F, B, A, E.
Very subtle changes, but my listening was based more about front to back depth/ image, clearest vocals and snare.

Only listened through Sennheiser HD 650 headphones through my MacBook pro sound card by the way, which may/ may not lie as far as true response of monitors.

Interested to know the results?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Super tricky, as the compressor seems to be working pretty light, and the source material isn't a thick/loud type mix. I feel like I would hear bigger differences between them on other material.

Also.... I'm pretty tired, haha!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonband View Post
Super tricky, as the compressor seems to be working pretty light, and the source material isn't a thick/loud type mix. I feel like I would hear bigger differences between them on other material.

Also.... I'm pretty tired, haha!
Did you also listen to the +3 files? The compressors worked harder as I would usually use an SSL.
Old 1 week ago
Hi!
I really tried but here on my ATH-M50X (sonarworks calibrated)

Only thing I can define are:
- a bit of a darker taste with B
- C is a touch more wide
- again F is wide, similar to C but better glue between instruments

so F is what I prefer at the moment

I'll try again later and this evening with monitors in my studio

Thank you!!!

I really wanna know it that stam sa 4000+ is worth it and can't wai to know the results
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyroh View Post
Hi!
I really tried but here on my ATH-M50X (sonarworks calibrated)

Only thing I can define are:
- a bit of a darker taste with B
- C is a touch more wide
- again F is wide, similar to C but better glue between instruments

so F is what I prefer at the moment

I'll try again later and this evening with monitors in my studio

Thank you!!!

I really wanna know it that stam sa 4000+ is worth it and can't wai to know the results
PM'd you
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks for the shootout!

I think I liked F and E/C the best and A/B the least. Exact order really dependent on the part though. So this is a rough estimate.

Would be great, if you could send me the results!

Cheers
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Great level matching.

On the regular tracks, I liked B, C and E. Liked F the least.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Great level matching.

On the regular tracks, I liked B, C and E. Liked F the least.
Thanx for chiming in. Interesting. You wanna know the results?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Thanx for chiming in. Interesting. You wanna know the results?
Just PM me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search