The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse) Studio Headphones
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by funka View Post
Please let it blind unless you're flooded under PMs...
I will
Old 6th February 2019
Well, there's been circa 20 odd responses over a 4 week period, with nearly a full week between the last 2, so seemed to me it's run out of steam, and time to move onto the next stage and discuss the outcomes and see how peoples perception relate to reality.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Nut
The one that I liked less is B, but tbh, trying to guess would be just... a shot in the dark.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltercruz View Post
The one that I liked less is B, but tbh, trying to guess would be just... a shot in the dark.
My least favourite also. Very thankful of this test as it steered me in the right direction.
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Well, there's been circa 20 odd responses over a 4 week period, with nearly a full week between the last 2, so seemed to me it's run out of steam, and time to move onto the next stage and discuss the outcomes and see how peoples perception relate to reality.
I will post the results for sure, but I'm not in a rush - maybe some others will find their way over here and wanna take a shot. I got a LOT more PM's than responses in the thread.
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Maniac

B seemed to retain the depth and openness of the original mix the best, C and F were alright too
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I keep coming back to C, B is too harsh for me. The Glue and Acustica's Sand2 are actually doing quite nice as well.

Please PM me the code
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I really like F, good punch and clarity. E and D are cool too, thick.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Please, PM the answers too!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I prefer E and F. Don’t like B to be honest..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I must say that even the one that I liked less (B) is not bad itself, and I think that I just noticed it listening in comparison with others. I'm pretty sure that If I was listening only it, I would like it and use it without problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

In terms of openness and transients not being squashed 'B' takes the cake and sounds less compressed. Other than that, I think that 'E' also has more dynamic movement so would guess that B and E were the hardware versions!

B= XRack

E= SA-4000

Could you PM me the results so I can see how wrong I was?! It's funny because when working with these comps on our own tracks we convince ourselves that there's so much difference between them
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Could you PM me the results so I can see how wrong I was?! It's funny because when working with these comps on our own tracks we convince ourselves that there's so much difference between them
That's why I did this, to show differences are so small once you match them. PM'ed you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for taking the time to do this, hugely appreciated! Very interested in the results as I've just sold a lot of high end hardware including my API 2500 bus compressor and looking to replace some with plugins.

Couldn't begin to guess which is which, but I dislike B due to pumping, and A does something weird with the release I don't enjoy either. I'd be happy with any of the others!

If you're not unveiling any time soon, is there any chance you could PM me the results?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsilentcity View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this, hugely appreciated! Very interested in the results as I've just sold a lot of high end hardware including my API 2500 bus compressor and looking to replace some with plugins.

Couldn't begin to guess which is which, but I dislike B due to pumping, and A does something weird with the release I don't enjoy either. I'd be happy with any of the others!

If you're not unveiling any time soon, is there any chance you could PM me the results?

Thanks,

Rob
Sure, PM'd you.
Old 4 weeks ago
PM me the results too please, cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think no one deserves a pm unless they have made a post of what they like or dislike first
Make us work a little for it haha

That will hopefully keep the thread interesting for a longer time

Great thread by the way(just discovered it), will listen tomorrow with fresh ears and comment
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
I think no one deserves a pm unless they have made a post of what they like or dislike first

Great thread by the way(just discovered it), will listen tomorrow with fresh ears and comment
yes it should always be done that way
Old 4 weeks ago
To me:

A = Slate
B = Waves
C = SSL X-Rack
D = Stam
E = SSL Plug-in
F = Brainworx

Not totally sure about a preference list, but I've enjoyed C and D the most, to me C is the winner!
Really disappointed about the B. Not unusable, still quite good but has too much sparkle/brittle sound. Similar thought for the F but it sounds a lot better. I guess less powerful sound could be due to a HPF lack, Waves' and bx's haven't got it yet, soo...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post

Thanx man, glad you enjoy it!

I will rule no one out, but yes - it would be nice if people comment on their findings here before asking for a PM.

But wait, I have something on offer:
I also have files of the Stam with transformers engaged for everyone who is curious. But to get those, you'll have to post and take a shot here first. How about that? ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
BTW, is the full song of the test available somewhere? Listened to the snippets so many times that I wish to listen to the full song
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltercruz View Post
BTW, is the full song of the test available somewhere? Listened to the snippets so many times that I wish to listen to the full song
PM'ed you
Old 3 weeks ago
Finally got around to downloading the files. Have to say C is the only one that seems to have good colour, preserves the transients and has a nice open top end. So interested to know which comp that is. Can you PM me the results?

Ps.. Did you just run the mix as a pre-printed two-track through each or did you sum the mix to each? I'm keen on understanding how going out to the analogue domain impacts the mix. But I guess there's no night and day difference on all these to me, it's subtleties, but some are definitely better than others in my mind.

Thanks for test
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Finally got around to downloading the files. Have to say C is the only one that seems to have good colour, preserves the transients and has a nice open top end. So interested to know which comp that is. Can you PM me the results?

Ps.. Did you just run the mix as a pre-printed two-track through each or did you sum the mix to each? I'm keen on understanding how going out to the analogue domain impacts the mix. But I guess there's no night and day difference on all these to me, it's subtleties, but some are definitely better than others in my mind.

Thanks for test
No preprinted two-track, it's a balance of more or less raw multitracks getting some polish by going through my Brauerize subgroups and meeting at the final stereo bus where the SSLs acted. The +3db files pushed 3db AFTER the subgroups and into the SSL.

PM you the results.
Old 2 weeks ago
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Sharing results would 'ruin' the blind test, you can request them privately of course.

The link works. Don't click the 'SSL Shootout Blind' folder, click the Download button top right of the page, then select Direct Download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
PM'ed you.

Link should work, have you tried again? I initially wanted to share the results here by now, but for the moment I enjoy leaving it blind. I will PM the results to everyone interested.

Quote:
No preprinted two-track, it's a balance of more or less raw multitracks getting some polish by going through my Brauerize subgroups and meeting at the final stereo bus where the SSLs acted. The +3db files pushed 3db AFTER the subgroups and into the SSL.

PM you the results.
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

F is definitely my favorite. I would be elated if it was a software comp. Can you PM me the results?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Very curious about your opinions.
Very curious about the results Please PM me. Thanks!

My Favourites:

1. F
2. A & D
in +0dB

1. D & F
3. A
in +3dB

...and absolutely NO idea who is who.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpoopsx View Post
F is definitely my favorite. I would be elated if it was a software comp. Can you PM me the results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philburns View Post
Very curious about the results Please PM me. Thanks!

My Favourites:

1. F
2. A & D
in +0dB

1. D & F
3. A
in +3dB

...and absolutely NO idea who is who.
PM'ed you both!
Old 2 weeks ago
E sounds best to me, the whole thing just sounds a little deeper front to back. Though F definitely comes in a close second.

Please PM me the results, would love to know which is which!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
E sounds best to me, the whole thing just sounds a little deeper front to back. Though F definitely comes in a close second.

Please PM me the results, would love to know which is which!
How about some statistics, how many guessed right, etc. Can we see the numbers please?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search