The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA-47 vs Flea 47 Vintage Condenser Microphones
Old 26th September 2018
Stam Audio SA-47 vs Flea 47 Vintage

I had a chance to compare a Stam Audio SA-47 and a Flea 47 Vintage on acoustic guitar, drums and vocals. Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone else considering these two mics:

Also, you can download the full res audio files here:
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks. Prefered Flea on the guitar, Stam on the drums and vocal.
Old 27th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Thanks for checking it out! The Stam definitely hung in there on all sources & at that point it could just come down to preference.
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Same here.
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawell View Post
Thanks for checking it out! The Stam definitely hung in there on all sources & at that point it could just come down to preference.
Preference and context. Yes.

I like how smooth the highend sounds, it's darker though so who knows what would be my preference if compensated with EQ. But it sounds like there is more distortion in mids and highs on flea than on stam. What's closer to the real U47? I don't know.

I have a bias though. Owning several CMV563s I have this saturated sound already covered and Stam (to me) sounds different in a good way. Smoother and more elegant? Deeper bass?

Thanks again for making the shootout, I was looking for exactly this comparison for a while.
Old 27th September 2018
Flea all the way, Stam sounds empty in the midrange in comparison. On vocals it's hard to decide, they are too auto-tuned to really tell.
Old 29th September 2018
Quote:
Preference and context. Yes.

I like how smooth the highend sounds, it's darker though so who knows what would be my preference if compensated with EQ. But it sounds like there is more distortion in mids and highs on flea than on stam. What's closer to the real U47? I don't know.

I have a bias though. Owning several CMV563s I have this saturated sound already covered and Stam (to me) sounds different in a good way. Smoother and more elegant? Deeper bass?

Thanks again for making the shootout, I was looking for exactly this comparison for a while.
I’m glad you found it useful. I could see the Stam being a nice choice for you based off of what you already have for sure.
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I was checking out some other u47 comparisons on this site and the SA U47 performed well. Difficult to tell the difference.
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear
I think I actually preferred the stam in all examples. On vocals the stam seemed to connect me to the singer more where the flea sounded almost as if the transients were rounded off.
Old 11th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawell View Post
I had a chance to compare a Stam Audio SA-47 and a Flea 47 Vintage on acoustic guitar, drums and vocals. Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone else considering these two mics:

Also, you can download the full res audio files here:
Thank you for this and for the honest words about STAM.

Fine and little focussed mid range for vocals are important in a full mix.

Would you say, FLEA 47 sits better in or a little in front of a mix than the STAM 47?
Old 12th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitealbum View Post
Thank you for this and for the honest words about STAM.

Fine and little focussed mid range for vocals are important in a full mix.

Would you say, FLEA 47 sits better in or a little in front of a mix than the STAM 47?
Thanks for checking out the video. I did find that the Flea sat in the mix just how I like to hear vocals.
Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear

what about the Warm WA47 ???how does it compare to these
Old 12th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
what about the Warm WA47 ???how does it compare to these
I haven’t had a chance to check out the Warm.
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear
Flea U47

Just a side note about the Flea 47 - We have one and although it sounds great in cardiod on acoustic guitar it was mindblowing in omni. (Recorded in a vocal booth to control reflections)... If you try the Flea 47 make sure you try omni on ac guit!
...and if you are curious...
Flea 47 unboxing video

Happy Mixing,

Daryl
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search