The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Violet Design GLOBE VINTAGE 47 vs Beesneez ARABELLA Producer Series
Old 25th August 2018
Here for the gear

Violet Design GLOBE VINTAGE 47 vs Beesneez ARABELLA Producer Series

Greetings,

Just a short female voice recording comparing the two mics that both are fitted with a k47 capsule type however the one is a tube mic and the other is a FET transformeless..

Beesneez Arabella Produser series is fitted with RCA Red 5693 tube.

The mic pre is the ISA 428 fitted with the AD card and the audio interface is the Metric Halo ULN-2 2nd Expanded...
Distance from both grills about 16 cm. 45db gain given to Arabella and 42db to the Globe Vintage. No pop filter has been used..
Both audio samples are RAW...I will try to upload 24bit/44.1 audio files ...don't know if during upload there is any down grade procedure...

Just my 2 cents...

(Update: Another two male voice samples - RAW files - recorded via A-DESIGNS MP-2A - a dual channel tube mic pre amp - distance around 30cm from both grills..)
Attached Thumbnails
Violet Design GLOBE VINTAGE 47 vs Beesneez ARABELLA Producer Series-img_7354.jpg  
Attached Files

Arabella NATALIA Acapella 16cm Ain't No Sunshine.wav (8.44 MB, 1505 views)

Violet Globe Vintage NATALIA Acapella 16cm Ain't No Sunshine.wav (8.44 MB, 1505 views)

Tenor Marios Andreou Acapella - ARABELLA mic pre A-Designs MP2A.mp3 (3.48 MB, 1053 views)

Tenor Marios Andreou Acapella - GLOBE VINTAGE mic pre A-Designs MP2A.mp3 (3.48 MB, 1033 views)

Last edited by Don Gatos!; 29th August 2018 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Added another two audio samples...
Old 26th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi Don,

Nice to see this posted. Unusual to see these two mics compared. Even listening in a sub optimal environment here I think both sound good. If you don't mind, I have a few little questions.

The Arabella Pro you used - does it have the Beesneez Transformer or Cinemag? Do you have any opinions or thoughts on the sound difference between the Soviet tube it comes with vs the Red?

Thanks.

Stratman
Old 26th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
Hi Don,

Nice to see this posted. Unusual to see these two mics compared. Even listening in a sub optimal environment here I think both sound good. If you don't mind, I have a few little questions.

The Arabella Pro you used - does it have the Beesneez Transformer or Cinemag? Do you have any opinions or thoughts on the sound difference between the Soviet tube it comes with vs the Red?

Thanks.

Stratman

Hi Stratman,

Nice to hear from you that you find both audio files interesting..
My Arabella is 4 years old if I well remember. It does fitted with Ben’s at Beesneez tranny. Not the cinemag.
Untill recently I had the impression that my Arabella was lacking that rich low mid character and that the reason was the absence of that Cinemag output tranny..
However after getting some audio samples (extensive testing considering the distance from the mic’s grill the given gain as well as the different mic pre types have be used) from a fellow in Australia that his Arabella does have this Cinemag I ended up believing that the differences if any are veeery small. Even Ben at Beesneez was offered to replace my tranny to Cinemag or to a new one that he recently completed ... however after listening to those testing samples I decided not to replace it.

Regarding Red Rca 5693. As you may know this is a long life 6SJ7.. My Arabella came with RCA coming from 1947. Trying to get that strong low mid character that I was looking for, I replaced the stock RCA with an old Russian 6ZH8. I got lower noise floor but to my ears no drastic audiable sonic differences..After the Russian one I got a few RCA RED 5693 from 1950 era that found warm and noiseless..(the term “warm” maybe it is just my impression). I tested Arabella Producer with Focusrite ISA428, Blue Robbie and A-Designs MP2A. A few fellow Gearslutz members they suggested to pair Arabella with a Neve style mic pre that does give that meat more colored sound that could help the low/low mid character...

Regarding the uploaded female audio files I think both samples are having that warmness that usually is known only to tube mics, Globe Vintage is rich at this low/low mid range and I find that it shares similarities with the sonic character of Arabella. It is also my impression that both mics although are different from the constraction point of view (tube vs Fet transformerless) are both having very warm character especially as vocal mics....

Just my opinion...

Last edited by Don Gatos!; 31st August 2018 at 12:46 AM..
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Gatos! View Post
Hi Stratman,

Nice to hear from you that you find both audio files interesting..
My Arabella is 4 years old if I well remember. It does fitted with Ben’s at Beesneez tranny. Not the cinemag.
Untill recently I had the impression that my Arabella was lacking that rich low mid character and that the reason was the absence of that Cinemag output tranny..
However after getting some audio samples (extensive testing considering the distance from the mic’s grill the given gain as well as the different mic pre types have be used) from a fellow in Australia that his Arabella does have this Cinemag I ended up believing that the differences if any are veeery small. Even Ben at Beesneez was offered to replace my tranny to Cinemag or to a new one that he recently completed ... however after listening to those testing samples I decided not to replace it.

Regarding Red Rca 5693. As you may know this is a long life 6SJ7.. My Arabella came with RCA coming from 1947. Trying to get that strong low mid character that I was looking for, I replaced the stock RCA with an old Russian 6ZH8. I got lower noise floor but to my ears no drastic audiable sonic differences..After the Russian one I got a few RCA RED 5693 from 1950 era that found warm and noiseless..(the term “warm” maybe it is just my impression). I tested Arabella Producer with Focusrite ISA428, Blue Robbie and A-Designs MP2A. A few fellow Gearslutz members they suggested to pair Arabella with a Neve style mic pre that does give that meat more colored sound that could help the low/low mid character...

Regarding the uploaded female audio files I think both samples are having that warmness that usually is known only to tube mics, Globe Vintage is rich at this low/low mid range and I find that it shares similarities with the sonic character of Arabella. It is also my impression that both mics although are different from the constraction point of view (tube vs Fet transformerless) are both having very warm character especially as vocal mics....

Just my opinion...
Tube mics aren't inherently "warmer". Depends on the circuit, tube, etc.
Old 3rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandy View Post
Tube mics aren't inherently "warmer". Depends on the circuit, tube, etc.
Hi bhandy,

Thanks for your comment. I do share the same position.. I just wanted to emphasize that in our days with so many mics (in any price range) presenting “bright” character, people (myself included) that looking for more vintage sonic characteristics may have less options.....
It is not unimportant that well respected mic designers dedicated to perfection are usually prefer the tube circuits in order to provide that vintage warm character...
This is the main reason for this thread:
A FET mic that to my ears is sounding very “vintage” and warm as vocal mic. But at the same time I do understand that this is subjective and depends to the music style and to other musical or technical aspects..

Last edited by Don Gatos!; 3rd September 2018 at 09:27 PM..
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear
Interesting. First impressions, not in the studio, using moderately good IEMs (AKG N40) but relying on my laptop's sound card: Arabella is 'smoother' whereas Globe Vintage is more articulate. I could go with either for the female vox, but for the male I found the Arabella too 'mushy' and preferred the Globe Vintage. I own the Globe Vintage and do not really think of it as being particularly articulate, by the way, but in this comparison, it does sound more so than the alternative. Nice.

FET mics can indeed be 'warm'. My Lauten Audio Atlantis (FC-387) is probably the 'warmest' vox mic I own. I have several Violet Design mics and like them a lot. I have found that upgrading their output caps and resisters improves them even further. Excellent value, especially when bought used.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardron View Post
Interesting. First impressions, not in the studio, using moderately good IEMs (AKG N40) but relying on my laptop's sound card: Arabella is 'smoother' whereas Globe Vintage is more articulate. I could go with either for the female vox, but for the male I found the Arabella too 'mushy' and preferred the Globe Vintage. I own the Globe Vintage and do not really think of it as being particularly articulate, by the way, but in this comparison, it does sound more so than the alternative. Nice.

FET mics can indeed be 'warm'. My Lauten Audio Atlantis (FC-387) is probably the 'warmest' vox mic I own. I have several Violet Design mics and like them a lot. I have found that upgrading their output caps and resisters improves them even further. Excellent value, especially when bought used.
Very dependent on song. Arabella sounds more old school. I used to have one but now have T1. The Arabella by comparison is definitely darker.
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Very dependent on song. Arabella sounds more old school. I used to have one but now have T1. The Arabella by comparison is definitely darker.
I have never used one, but bet the T1 is very nice indeed.

The Globe Vintage is also dark, but clearly not as dark as the Arabella. With upgraded output caps and resisters, honestly, it falls into that 'all good but different' territory where taste rules the day because the quality is already up there. Same could be said for my (modded) Globe Standard, as well as the Amethysts.

Although I used to be a huge fan of tubes and tube mics, these days I find the FETs do the job equally as well (but different) --as this set of sound files demonstrates. I have not gone to the effort to warm up a tube / valve mic, checking for noise and microphonics, in a very long time... For my purposes, which is often live recording outside of the normal studio environment, FETs rule.
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have never used one, but bet the T1 is very nice indeed.

The Globe Vintage is also dark, but clearly not as dark as the Arabella. With upgraded output caps and resisters, honestly, it falls into that 'all good but different' territory where taste rules the day because the quality is already up there. Same could be said for my (modded) Globe Standard, as well as the Amethysts.

Although I used to be a huge fan of tubes and tube mics, these days I find the FETs do the job equally as well (but different) --as this set of sound files demonstrates. I have not gone to the effort to warm up a tube / valve mic, checking for noise and microphonics, in a very long time... For my purposes, which is often live recording outside of the normal studio environment, FETs rule.

Hi Jardron
I would really appreciate if you could give some more info regarding the output caps/resistors that can be upgraded in order to even improve the character of Global Vintage/Amethyst Vintage..
in comparison to the stock models..

Regards,
Christos
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hi Jardron
I would really appreciate if you could give some more info regarding the output caps/resistors that can be upgraded in order to even improve the character of Global Vintage/Amethyst Vintage..
in comparison to the stock models..

Regards,
Christos

Hi Christos,

In general, I like Elna Silmic II caps for the signal path. In the Globes, as I recall, they are 47uf. For resisters, that is a bit trickier because the stock ones are wire wound; ie inductive. However, I prefer a good carbon resister and generally use Takman. Other people prefer metal film resisters, but I find them generally too bright for this application. It is a matter of taste. In any case, whatever you do, you will find there is a noticeable improvement, especially concerning the caps, which are almost always low quality in microphones and preamps... Strange but true. Also, make sure to allow the components to 'burn in' for at least an hour, if not several. At first, the new components sound pretty messed up!

Hope that helps.

-Jeff
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear
PS: for the power regulation side, I like Elna Cerafine caps. And yes, despite what some people will say, power regulation affects the sound profoundly, even though it is not in the signal path. It makes sense when you think about it. But, I always let my ears do the thinking!
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Christos,

In general, I like Elna Silmic II caps for the signal path. In the Globes, as I recall, they are 47uf. For resisters, that is a bit trickier because the stock ones are wire wound; ie inductive. However, I prefer a good carbon resister and generally use Takman. Other people prefer metal film resisters, but I find them generally too bright for this application. It is a matter of taste. In any case, whatever you do, you will find there is a noticeable improvement, especially concerning the caps, which are almost always low quality in microphones and preamps... Strange but true. Also, make sure to allow the components to 'burn in' for at least an hour, if not several. At first, the new components sound pretty messed up!

Hope that helps.

-Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the informative reply.
If I well understood you replace the output cap with an Elna Silmic II with same capacitance and temp value. (Silmic II goes to max 85 degrees if I well remember..) I haven’t examined my Globe Vintage closely..is it difficult to take it apart?
Regarding Arabella Producer does really have that
old school vibe and really I like it’s smoothness on
expressive vocals reminding that good old era when quality and homogenize of the recording was counting different...(just my personal view).
Also Arabella could give better proximity if you go closer to figure of 8 however this was not my intention providing those samples..I really got some interesting tubes to swap but inside Arabella the space underneath the tube (where the tranny is located) is so limited that swapping tubes is risky...Ben suggested to me to loose some screws that leave free some more space but I did not got the risk...I managed once to swap the stock vintage RCA 6SJ7 with a RED 5693 and got the impression (or illusion) that the signal to noise ratio was better...

Regards,
Christos
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the informative reply.
If I well understood you replace the output cap with an Elna Silmic II with same capacitance and temp value. (Silmic II goes to max 85 degrees if I well remember..) I haven’t examined my Globe Vintage closely..is it difficult to take it apart?
Regarding Arabella Producer does really have that
old school vibe and really I like it’s smoothness on
expressive vocals reminding that good old era when quality and homogenize of the recording was counting different...(just my personal view).
Also Arabella could give better proximity if you go closer to figure of 8 however this was not my intention providing those samples..I really got some interesting tubes to swap but inside Arabella the space underneath the tube (where the tranny is located) is so limited that swapping tubes is risky...Ben suggested to me to loose some screws that leave free some more space but I did not got the risk...I managed once to swap the stock vintage RCA 6SJ7 with a RED 5693 and got the impression (or illusion) that the signal to noise ratio was better...

Regards,
Christos
Taking apart a Globe is finicky, and requires unsoldering the wires to the capsule, but is not difficult. What is trickier is fitting in a bigger sized capacitor. The Elna range is excellent and they do offer smaller sized ones too, but they don't sound as good. Or, the Nicholson Fine Gold are also small and fit. That said, I fit in the Silmic II, and am glad I did!

-j
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search