The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Channel Shootout (bx_SSL E, Waves, Duende v6, Console 1) Saturation Plugins
Old 5th January 2019
Unfortunately I don't have the Metric Halo...

Console 1 should eb on your list then, it's still on sale I believe.
As you like the sound, you'd love the hands-on workflow woth the controller.

Let us know how you like the Stam MK2. I know it might take a while still until you have it...

I took the real SSL bus comp (the Mynx rack one) with me from the studio, planning to do a shootout of the Stam MK1 against it.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Unfortunately I don't have the Metric Halo...

Console 1 should eb on your list then, it's still on sale I believe.
As you like the sound, you'd love the hands-on workflow woth the controller.

Let us know how you like the Stam MK2. I know it might take a while still until you have it...

I took the real SSL bus comp (the Mynx rack one) with me from the studio, planning to do a shootout of the Stam MK1 against it.
I'm testing the API channel strip as we speak, impressed actually. Might not be the ultimate in SQ but it's very useful and easy to dial in. The MK2 controller is arriving tomorrow so I'll give it a thorough workout with 4K also.

Nice! Look forward to your findings.
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Metric Halo channel strip is still such a great tool and I've seen so many top producers still using this and love it for that SSL drum compresson snap. People are so focused on pretty GUI's these days...

BTW. I still also agree to Softube having that tighter SSL sound. Waves have it too... But this C1 is just a little more expensive sounding. Heh...
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar View Post
Metric Halo channel strip is still such a great tool and I've seen so many top producers still using this and love it for that SSL drum compresson snap. People are so focused on pretty GUI's these days...

BTW. I still also agree to Softube having that tighter SSL sound. Waves have it too... But this C1 is just a little more expensive sounding. Heh...
I'll be buying MH CS3 the second it goes on sale. A bargain for $29! Serban G uses it - enough said

Console 1 arriving in an hour, can't wait. The more I listen to the comparison files the more I realise the C1 sound is the one for me.
Old 6th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I'll be buying MH CS3 the second it goes on sale. A bargain for $29! Serban G uses it - enough said

Console 1 arriving in an hour, can't wait. The more I listen to the comparison files the more I realise the C1 sound is the one for me.
You could spend the hour waiting as well with listening to my updated bus comp shootout
SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
You could spend the hour waiting as well with listening to my updated bus comp shootout
SSL Bus Comp Shootout (SSL X-Rack, Stam SA-4000+, Duende, Slate, Waves, bx_townhouse)
Nice, thanks, on it now...
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Same here... Great job.
Old 7th January 2019
Thanx, glad you find it useful.
Old 11th January 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the great shoot out. I prefer the console 1 here, and have been loving mine too.
Old 16th January 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
Old 16th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this!
My pleasure!
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Maniac

I am really the only one to say the softube and waves sound good but not really like the real deal???
Old 17th February 2019
Well, to really elaborate on that there had to be a version with an SSL board to compare. We have an AWS Delta in the studio, but there's no time in the studio for things like these shootouts, so I didn't do one.
All I can say is that none of these plugins sounds bad.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

You are right! They sound good.
Where are you from?
Old 19th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplex One View Post
You are right! They sound good.
Where are you from?
Me? Germany. Why?
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Head

Try CLA Mixhub
CLA MixHub Plugin | Waves
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Addict

Just listened to this. Downloaded the first file for each console (no buss comps) and A-B'd them inside Logic with instant soloing. I don't find Console 1 being miles ahead as some. To me the BX_Console SSL 4000 E is the winner. I also found the G way less punchy, which was a surprise to me. Waves to me sounded the worst, though not at all "bad". The others were a draw. Thanks for posting these files.
Old 8th April 2019
Just had a listen myself, I may seem biased as I am a Console 1 user, but I definitely found it to sound more 3D and preserve the transients better and handle the kick and snare nicely. It was the only mix that had me bopping my head. I do though, really like the colour that the BX E has, a mix of the 2 would be perfect IMO. The Waves was also quite impressive, considering how old it is. The SSL Native seemed to sound a little hollow for me.
Old 8th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
Just listened to this. Downloaded the first file for each console (no buss comps) and A-B'd them inside Logic with instant soloing. I don't find Console 1 being miles ahead as some. To me the BX_Console SSL 4000 E is the winner. I also found the G way less punchy, which was a surprise to me. Waves to me sounded the worst, though not at all "bad". The others were a draw. Thanks for posting these files.
My pleasure, thanx for chiming in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Hi !

it's an old thread/post. Sorry for being late.

Right now I am using Laptop speaker. Inbuilt Stereo Speaker.

First of all a little History on why I came here.

I bought UAD-2 Classic Analaog Bundle. It has All LA2A, all 1176, fairchild, and all Pultec EQ.

I did mix of a song entirely using UAD-2's classical bundle. The mix took me few hours. Sounded great on my room. A listening LEDE room of 14 feet height, 26 feet width and 36 feet length.

But when I checked the mix on LapTop... it was ear penetrating, same happened with Phone speaker. I was shocked...

So, I googled. Thus, here I am.

For me, in LapTop speaker Waves wins the competition.

I can not explain/express...
While listening, all the bx_ made my ear canal squeeze.
I am surprised, I always thought Duende as the best, I have tried Duende v5 last year. But in this test Duende v6 made my ear canal squeeze. Have they changed Duende v5 ?

Less expected, but Waves made my ear happy. My ear cnalas was not squezzed. And I was able to listen whole song.

I am surprised. I did not expected this.

Thanks for the test.

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shailendra View Post
Hi !

it's an old thread/post. Sorry for being late.

Right now I am using Laptop speaker. Inbuilt Stereo Speaker.

First of all a little History on why I came here.

I bought UAD-2 Classic Analaog Bundle. It has All LA2A, all 1176, fairchild, and all Pultec EQ.

I did mix of a song entirely using UAD-2's classical bundle. The mix took me few hours. Sounded great on my room. A listening LEDE room of 14 feet height, 26 feet width and 36 feet length.

But when I checked the mix on LapTop... it was ear penetrating, same happened with Phone speaker. I was shocked...

So, I googled. Thus, here I am.

For me, in LapTop speaker Waves wins the competition.

I can not explain/express...
While listening, all the bx_ made my ear canal squeeze.
I am surprised, I always thought Duende as the best, I have tried Duende v5 last year. But in this test Duende v6 made my ear canal squeeze. Have they changed Duende v5 ?

Less expected, but Waves made my ear happy. My ear cnalas was not squezzed. And I was able to listen whole song.

I am surprised. I did not expected this.

Thanks for the test.

Thanx for sharing. Yes, Waves are always bashed around here, but often loved in blind tests. The new Mixhub may be a step up from the old SSL stuff, but they still hold their own.
As for Duende: there was some change between v5 and v6. At least the compressor threshold reacts different, maybe something in the EQ, too.
And again: this was not scientific, I didn't try to null the EQ, just copied the frequencies and gains. The dynamics I tried to match more carefully.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search