The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7
Old 24th June 2018
BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7

Here's a sneak preview of my next U47 Style microphone shoot out!
Can you tell which one is the Stam Audio SA-47 and which one is the original Neumann (with M7 capsule, serial 3834)?

There is much more to come, but I thought you might like to listen to some audio in the meanwhile

Special thanks to vocalist Christian Monstar and Tobi Ober at Bonello Studios Berlin!

Here's the link to the version of "Crazy" I did with Christian:

Edit: You'll find the results in post #17 of this thread!
Attached Thumbnails
BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7-u47-shoot-out-chris-mics.jpg   BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7-u47-shoot-drums.jpg   BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7-u47-shoot-out-all-mics.jpg   BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7-u47-shoot-out-mixing.jpg  
Attached Files

Speech-MicA.mp3 (436.7 KB, 12218 views)

Speech-MicB.mp3 (436.7 KB, 11984 views)

Singing-Low-MicA.mp3 (563.2 KB, 12217 views)

Singing-Low-MicB.mp3 (563.2 KB, 12087 views)

Singing-Loud-MicA.mp3 (761.1 KB, 12047 views)

Singing-Loud-MicB.mp3 (761.1 KB, 12032 views)

Drums-MicA.mp3 (519.3 KB, 11561 views)

Drums-MicB.mp3 (519.3 KB, 11593 views)

Last edited by roughgear; 27th June 2018 at 09:29 AM..
Old 24th June 2018
Gear Addict

I prefered mic A in all cases.Only on the dtums i liked equally both..maybe the mic B a little more.
Old 24th June 2018
Company Rep
Quite close!
I can't comment as I am biased but thanks a lot for doing this!!
Old 24th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Quite close!
I can't comment as I am biased but thanks a lot for doing this!!
Joshua..congrats for the sa-73.It is great on my vintage u47fet,Violet globe standard and Milab vip 50.
Old 24th June 2018
"A" by quite a margin, with the exception of the drums...

fingers crossed

cheers

Wiz
Old 25th June 2018
Here for the gear
My ears say A is the Stam47 and
B is the original Neumann
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
My ears say A is the Stam47 and
B is the original Neumann
I agree with this.

In any case, B is definitely better to my ears on voice in this case. A is not sibilant, per se', not hashy/eshy, but the high end is a bit much at times.

B is more rounded.

Just my 2 cents
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Guru

Concur, B takes the win quite easily. Unfortunately, but realistically no surprise. B must be the Neumann as the added sizzle on A can't be. And that's from hearing these on a laptop. Still obvious.

However, if one was to buy the Stam and drop a Neumann capsule in it all bets are off me thinks, and that is still a very reasonable way to get something that at that point likely is as 'like the real deal' as one could wish for........just thinking out loud.
Old 25th June 2018
Wow, a lot of different opinions

Out of all the 47 style mics we tested during this shoot-out, the SA-47 and the original Neumann U-47 turned out to be the favorite mics for the two engineers and me. That's why I put up this blind test to give you a sneak peek.

Here's the Peluso 2247 LE (with steel tube) for comparison.
Especially the new drum samples are interesting.
Attached Files

Speech-Peluso-2247LE.mp3 (456.0 KB, 10871 views)

Singing-Low-Peluso-2247LE.mp3 (563.2 KB, 10811 views)

Singing-Loud-Peluso-2247LE.mp3 (761.1 KB, 10966 views)

Drums2-MicA.mp3 (279.5 KB, 10769 views)

Drums2-MicB.mp3 (279.5 KB, 10686 views)

Drums2-Peluso2247LE.mp3 (279.5 KB, 10717 views)

Last edited by roughgear; 25th June 2018 at 11:58 AM..
Old 25th June 2018
Here for the gear

B from me in every contest. Nothing wrong with A (a bit sibilant perhaps and lighter in lows in the drum contest), but B sounds great everywhere. Wouldn't that be great if B was the SA-47!!
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Addict

B sits better to my ears, has more clarity.
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Wow, the Peluso sounds nasty!
Old 26th June 2018
I just made some recordings comparing the new Neumann U-67 Reissue with the Stam Audio SA-47.
Even though it's mixing apples with oranges, I thought it was interesting and some of you might dig it

Signal chain:
Mic -> AMS Neve 1073 at 30db -> RME UFX -> Logic

So, one of them is the Neumann U67, the other one is the SA-47.
Any guesses?
Attached Thumbnails
BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7-u67_openbox.jpg   BLIND SHOOT OUT - Stam Audio SA-47 vs. Neumann U47 with M7-u67_sa-47.jpg  
Attached Files

Vox-MicY.mp3 (358.1 KB, 11296 views)

Vox-MicX.mp3 (358.1 KB, 11194 views)

Old 26th June 2018
Gear Guru

Y = u67 x= sa47
Old 26th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios T. View Post
I prefered mic A in all cases.Only on the drums i liked equally both.
Exactly what I was going to say
Old 27th June 2018
Gear Addict

Sa47 and U67 are much closer than u47 and sa47!

Maybe SA67 is the best clone of the U47
Old 27th June 2018
Results

SPOILER ALERT!

HERE ARE THE RESULTS

I guess a few of you might be surprised!
Please don't spoil the fun for the others in your comments
Old 27th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
SPOILER ALERT!

HERE ARE THE RESULTS

which are the other mics?
Old 27th June 2018
Lives for gear

No bull, stam is pulling out some great products.
Old 28th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetone23 View Post
B from me in every contest. Nothing wrong with A (a bit sibilant perhaps and lighter in lows in the drum contest), but B sounds great everywhere. Wouldn't that be great if B was the SA-47!!
hmmm ... gotta check my monitors, my headphones, my ears ... if there's sibilance, i can clearly hear more in B not in A.
Bass is much more in B as you can hear on the drums.
both sound good.
Old 28th June 2018
Lives for gear

I am and am not surprised. I;m not surprised that B is the STAM, it is a very nice, nicely retro sound. Job well done!

I am surprised that the U47:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
B must be the Neumann as the added sizzle on A can't be.
I personally wouldn't describe it as sizzle, but the high end is accentuated.
As someone who owns a good U47 clone with Beesneez 47 capsule, Cinemag CM-2461NiCo transformer, Telefunken EF12 tube, PIO caps, etc. it does not have that high end spike.

Bottom line though is that the STAM sounded best on that voice, sounds really good, looks beautiful, and is a tremendous value compared to other 47-alikes!
Old 28th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just made some recordings comparing the new Neumann U-67 Reissue with the Stam Audio SA-47.
Even though it's mixing apples with oranges, I thought it was interesting and some of you might dig it

Signal chain:
Mic -> AMS Neve 1073 at 30db -> RME UFX -> Logic

So, one of them is the Neumann U67, the other one is the SA-47.
Any guesses?
Any chance of more comparisons between the SA47 and new U67?!?
They really did sound almost identical here and I’d love to hear them side by side on say an acoustic guitar or the playback from a monitor or speaker!
Old 14th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
SPOILER ALERT!

HERE ARE THE RESULTS

Hi roughgear,

thanks for doing the comparsions.
Is the m7 capsule in the u47 all original or was it rescinned or something like that?

Thanks
Marc
Old 31st July 2018
Here for the gear

Singing loud..B is louder, Drums same B is louder, B C FreqAnalyst showed it so its hard to tell if it sounds better or just louder.
Old 6th August 2018
All for nothing though?

The issue though is we ordered a stam 67. Got several emails saying it was shipping in spring. 48 hrs after getting notice that the mic was ready to ship, and they needed other part of payment or whatever (did pre-payment thing) the money was sent. 48 hrs. Actually less. Was out of town for weekend, saw email, made payment. Keep in mind, order placed back in winter. Sent payment, now being told September!

Never again. No bargain if you are missing using the mic for almost a YEAR on sessions. We were prepared to wait. A long time. Knew this going in. Thought 3-4 months...something. This is over the top though.

Beware. If you need your mic in any time frame before 5-6 months, look elsewhere. Keep coming out with new products before the old ones have even shipped. Not cool.
Old 6th August 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
All for nothing though?

The issue though is we ordered a stam 67. Got several emails saying it was shipping in spring. 48 hrs after getting notice that the mic was ready to ship, and they needed other part of payment or whatever (did pre-payment thing) the money was sent. 48 hrs. Actually less. Was out of town for weekend, saw email, made payment. Keep in mind, order placed back in winter. Sent payment, now being told September!

Never again. No bargain if you are missing using the mic for almost a YEAR on sessions. We were prepared to wait. A long time. Knew this going in. Thought 3-4 months...something. This is over the top though.

Beware. If you need your mic in any time frame before 5-6 months, look elsewhere. Keep coming out with new products before the old ones have even shipped. Not cool.
We have not come out with new products before the old ones have shipped, that is not true.

Nobody will have to wait 6 months, everything will be in stock in 6 weeks, we won't be giving generous discounts anymore and just shipping next day.
Old 6th August 2018
I've been watching Stam audio for a long time with interest. But for that same long time, it seems you have had people complaining about the insane delivery times, let downs with delivery dates over and over, and lack of communication. Why in the world have you not built up some stock on these products, like all other manufacturers on the fricken planet- so you can ship within days of the orders?

Your failure in this regard is very strange, especially after all this time, and with so many complaints. And frankly, it has stopped me cold from ordering anything from you. But your products are fantastic, no question about that.

Quieres que te lo explique en español? Hablo eso tambien. Seriously man, you got such a great thing going, why not get in step with the rest of the manufacturing world?

The no dealer concept can work, but it seems you need to make some adjustments to increase stock items. Because you are acting as the dealer as well.
Old 7th August 2018
Yeah....all I can say in response is march order date. July update.
Where's our mic?

I have racked, recapped, and built out chassis's for 18 channels of telefunken and Neumann gear in this time.
Built 6 more kits from DIYre and CAPI. Repaired 6 1950'S 1960's AND 1970'S Guitar amps. Recapped a good portion of a British console, and built 4 jensen DI boxes since march.

Where is our mic?

I'm glad you are getting your biz model straight. It needs to be done.
I did NOT want to bring this here BTW. I know life gets in the way.
But now are near 30 days past the update date you gave us. Last time it was supposed to be here in a week. It's been a month.

I told the owner of this studio that the mic would probably arrive by the time I finished the pile of gear listed above. No go. I am now finished. No mic.

Please do what you can to get the mic here asap, as it was purchased on my recommendation, and I am looking like a fool.

Thank you.

EDIT: If the discount is what is prohibiting you from making deadlines, maybe you should ask $2-300 more. People can then decide if they want to pay that or not. We were just going by what YOU advertised.
Old 7th August 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
Yeah....all I can say in response is march order date. July update.
Where's our mic?

I have racked, recapped, and built out chassis's for 18 channels of telefunken and Neumann gear in this time.
Built 6 more kits from DIYre and CAPI. Repaired 6 1950'S 1960's AND 1970'S Guitar amps. Recapped a good portion of a British console, and built 4 jensen DI boxes since march.

Where is our mic?

I'm glad you are getting your biz model straight. It needs to be done.
I did NOT want to bring this here BTW. I know life gets in the way.
But now are near 30 days past the update date you gave us. Last time it was supposed to be here in a week. It's been a month.

I told the owner of this studio that the mic would probably arrive by the time I finished the pile of gear listed above. No go. I am now finished. No mic.

Please do what you can to get the mic here asap, as it was purchased on my recommendation, and I am looking like a fool.

Thank you.

EDIT: If the discount is what is prohibiting you from making deadlines, maybe you should ask $2-300 more. People can then decide if they want to pay that or not. We were just going by what YOU advertised.
Email me please at [email protected] so we can get it sorted
I believed I emailed everybody explaining the situation and offering the 50% discount, did you not get that email?
Thanks!
Josh
Old 7th August 2018
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman22 View Post
I've been watching Stam audio for a long time with interest. But for that same long time, it seems you have had people complaining about the insane delivery times, let downs with delivery dates over and over, and lack of communication. Why in the world have you not built up some stock on these products, like all other manufacturers on the fricken planet- so you can ship within days of the orders?

Your failure in this regard is very strange, especially after all this time, and with so many complaints. And frankly, it has stopped me cold from ordering anything from you. But your products are fantastic, no question about that.

Quieres que te lo explique en español? Hablo eso tambien. Seriously man, you got such a great thing going, why not get in step with the rest of the manufacturing world?

The no dealer concept can work, but it seems you need to make some adjustments to increase stock items. Because you are acting as the dealer as well.
True, a lot of people complain about our communication and missed deadlines. Work in progress!!

I am sure you understand there is many reasons why it has taken us so long so build up stock on all products, it's quite obvious.

You should not order anything from us until we have it in stock, it's just 200 USD more and saves you waiting time and headaches!

📝 Reply