The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BLIND SHOOT OUT - Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd June 2018
PREAMP BLIND SHOOT OUT: Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA

Here are some audio files of the brand new Golden Age Premier PRE-73 Premier (the new premium line of Golden Age) in comparison with an original AMS NEVE 1073 DPA.

Golden Age Premier PRE-73 – Thomann UK
AMS Neve 1073 DPA Preamp Stereo – Thomann UK

One of them is named Preamp-A the other one is Preamp-B. Which one is the real NEVE?
Attached Thumbnails
BLIND SHOOT OUT - Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA-gap-premier-pre-73_neve1073dpa.jpg  
Attached Files

Preamp-A-AGit-Strum-Beyer201-M.mp3 (736.7 KB, 3892 views)

Preamp-B-AGit-Strum-Beyer201-M.mp3 (736.7 KB, 3823 views)

Preamp-A-AGit-Pick-Beyer201-M.mp3 (924.4 KB, 3604 views)

Preamp-B-AGit-Pick-Beyer201-M.mp3 (924.4 KB, 3571 views)

Preamp-A-SING-414XLS-M.mp3 (544.8 KB, 3716 views)

Preamp-B-SING-414XLS-M.mp3 (544.8 KB, 3634 views)

Preamp-A-TALK-414XLS-M.mp3 (358.1 KB, 3588 views)

Preamp-B-TALK-414XLS-M.mp3 (358.1 KB, 3516 views)

Last edited by roughgear; 23rd June 2018 at 05:30 PM..
Old 24th June 2018
Gear Addict
Total guess at B being the Neve. In my experience the GAP's tend to sound a bit overdone with the Neve style warmth in comparison to the actual Neve's. Not a bad thing at all which is why I own one but this new one sounds great also
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Head

Sounds pretty close. Not sure which is which, and if I had to pick one, I would choose Preamp-A. Just seem to like that sound a little bit more.

So my guess is that A is the Neve DPA based on price alone.
I'm probably going to buy the GAP either way. So glad it's released!

Thanks for the great shootout!
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

I'll guess that A is the AMS and B is the GAP.
B sounded overdone, more closed and more boomy than A, I definitely liked A more, and I would imagine the clone will have an overdone sound instead of the "original" one.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong though...

Thanks for taking the time to do the shootout!
Old 3rd July 2018
Lives for gear

They do sound different to me in all the examples. Especially in the high range.

I would say that A is the GAP Premier and B is the Neve. I feel, that preamp B has a higher resolution and a more detail, especially in the highs.

I listened to the same examples in the other thread Golden Age Premier PRE-73 PREMIER (GAP) vs. AMS NEVE 1073 DPA where you show which is which one and I have the feeling I recognize the Neve here in the B Preamp samples.

However, I have the GAP Pre 73 (MKI) and use it on every recording and my productions never sounded so good before. I track 95% electric & acoustic guitars and it features the midrange in such a beautiful way. After the GAP comes my ART PRO VLA II in the signal chain and they team up greatly ! Sounds like a recording and mix ready without any plugin, thick and warm.

Last edited by soulguitar; 3rd July 2018 at 01:31 PM..
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

i think
A = Neve 1073
B = GAP premier 73

B reminds me the most of my mk1 GAP 73

i prefer B in this case on acoustic guitars and vocals
not what i expected if A is Neve
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Head

So which one is A, which one is B? I like B better.
Old 23rd August 2018
Here's the naked truth:

A is the Golden Age Premier PRE-73 (Mono / 489.- €)
B is the AMS Neve 1073 DPA (Stereo / 2369.- €)

Cheers!
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Wow, good for me!
Thanks again, and do keep it up
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Addict

b sounds under the weather
Old 23rd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
Wow, good for me!
Thanks again, and do keep it up
Thanks Luca!
Old 24th August 2018
Lives for gear

That's funny, I actually prefer the GAP 73 on the guitar clips in this example
Old 25th August 2018
Gear Head

The pre A and B sounds very different to me
Even on crappy tv speakers i prefer B miles over A in all cases
thats not splitting hairs

The way Pre B smoothens/softens the transients is so musical
im considering a original AMS NEVE or a BAE 1073 at this point

My GAP 73 pre mk1 sounds a bit dark in a good way to my other pres but at this point its clear it cant compete against the HW its inspired by

From memory i identify the GAP closer to B because of this darker sound i guess
i would love to be right in this shootout that GAP was the pre B but its a non contest
NEVE clones suck if the real mccoy is what you truly want

Thanks for the shootout roughgear

A ear opener, its time to save up for the real deal
Old 18th September 2018
A sounds good, B sounds like a record. More open, a little more detail. Kinda hard to explain.
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I couldn't tell the difference. Nice shootout.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Head

if you cant hear a difference between these two preamps then you have a hearing problem
Old 5th October 2018
Amusing that these strong opinions were only posted after he revealed which was which.
Old 11th October 2018
Gear Head
I'm still on my Mackie VLZpro preamps after 15 years of recording myself at home. I am in the process of deciding if I «need» to buy individual preamps to improve my recordings. This kind of shootout and the one on SoS really makes me wonder if I really should. After all, that means spending over a grand of CAD dollars with taxes for only 2 preamps. Money I could well put elsewhere, like on actual musical instruments... And then, my most expensive mics are a SM7b, a Aston Spirit, a KSM137 and a C214.

Yeah, sure I can hear a difference between both A and B. But which is which and which sounds better?... I had no real opinion. Vaguely different that's all.

I guess my ears need a checkup according to MCReef...
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharma44 View Post
I'm still on my Mackie VLZpro preamps after 15 years of recording myself at home. I am in the process of deciding if I «need» to buy individual preamps to improve my recordings. This kind of shootout and the one on SoS really makes me wonder if I really should. After all, that means spending over a grand of CAD dollars with taxes for only 2 preamps. Money I could well put elsewhere, like on actual musical instruments... And then, my most expensive mics are a SM7b, a Aston Spirit, a KSM137 and a C214.

Yeah, sure I can hear a difference between both A and B. But which is which and which sounds better?... I had no real opinion. Vaguely different that's all.

I guess my ears need a checkup according to MCReef...
If you hear a difference between A and B then your ears works fine
If you dont have an opinion which you prefer than thats fine too

if you are doing killer recordings already on a Mackie VLZpro keep doing that

Great performances, good sounding instruments and vice microphone placements is the most important any day
The SM7B is a great mic, i love mine

My point is i wouldn't go for cheap Neve clones if you are going after the NEVE sound
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCReef View Post
If you hear a difference between A and B then your ears works fine
If you dont have an opinion which you prefer than thats fine too

if you are doing killer recordings already on a Mackie VLZpro keep doing that

Great performances, good sounding instruments and vice microphone placements is the most important any day
The SM7B is a great mic, i love mine

My point is i wouldn't go for cheap Neve clones if you are going after the NEVE sound
Point taken.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search