The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MixPre-10T vs Zoom L-12 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

MixPre-10T vs Zoom L-12

I'm looking to replace a Korg D888 eight multitrack that I use to record songs and jam sessions. Afterwards I transfer the files to a DAW for mixing. I also use it as a performance mixer through the PA but its onboard effects are not very convincing. Unfortunately I’ve outgrown this unit as my new favorite band now needs 10 inputs.

I like the sound devices MixPre-10M for its renowned audio quality, features, and build. This has onboard effects and overdubbing capabilities. Unfortunately it can only record eight Multitracks simultaneously, and it has a super tiny screen as an interface.

Its big brother the 10T can record 10 tracks simultaneously and have some of its features controlled via a slick iPad app. Also this can be synched via timecode with other MixPres for simultaneous recording of many more tracks if needed. As a plus the unit can be toggled between the T and Musicians mode of the 10M. Unfortunately the 10T has no on board effects (for live performance) unless you change it to Musicians mode in which case it reverts back to the limit of eight Multitrack simultaneous recording and loses the ability to connect to it’s iPad app via Bluetooth.

I like the physical interface of the Zoom L-12. It can record 12 independent tracks simultaneously and it has onboard effects. The only downside I can see to this unit is its quality which is hinted at in it's cost. It can record 50% more multitracks simultaneously than it's professional quality sibling the Zoom F8 and it costs 25% less!… so what's the catch!?

Can anyone speak to the relative quality of the MixPre-10T or M and the Zoom L-12?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search