The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony c800g vs. Sony c100
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear
Sony c800g vs. Sony c100

Alright guys here we go.

Here is the vocal clips comparing the c800g and the c100.

A few notes:

All clips were recorded with an Avalon preamp, same gain settings @45 db.

First I recorded myself reading poems with NO COMPRESSION, NO EQ with both mics. Just so you can hear how narration/vocals sound dry w/both and how they both handle inflection.

Secondly, I recorded a quick verse with both.

I wanted you guys to see how both sound when dry, when compressed and when stacked.

So for both I included a verse recorded DRY. Then the Verse with compression added. Then the compressed verse with a double stacked on top.

This should give you guys a feel of how both handle compression, eq and vocal stacks.

Next weekend I will record a full song with both so you can hear they compare in a full mix w/effects.

C800g clips:

C100 clips:

Old 13th April 2018
Here for the gear
Curious as to how the c100 would stack up to the Manley Reference C and both the Miktek CV3 and CV4 any thoughts? My main goal for my vocals is something a bit more modern that will take EQ and Compression well, yet sit well in the mix even when dry. any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear

I really can't find too much mention of the c100. From this (not at my monitors), the c800 is soooo smooth. c100's highs are a bit harsh in comparison. I'd also be interested in seeing how it stacks up against similarly priced mics. Tele mics? What about for other purposes?
Old 17th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krush411 View Post
Alright guys here we go.

Here is the vocal clips comparing the c800g and the c100.

A few notes:

All clips were recorded with an Avalon preamp, same gain settings @45 db.

First I recorded myself reading poems with NO COMPRESSION, NO EQ with both mics. Just so you can hear how narration/vocals sound dry w/both and how they both handle inflection.

Secondly, I recorded a quick verse with both.

I wanted you guys to see how both sound when dry, when compressed and when stacked.

So for both I included a verse recorded DRY. Then the Verse with compression added. Then the compressed verse with a double stacked on top.

This should give you guys a feel of how both handle compression, eq and vocal stacks.

Next weekend I will record a full song with both so you can hear they compare in a full mix w/effects.

C800g clips:

C100 clips:

Thank you so much for posting! Looking forward to the full mixes!
Old 30th April 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks for this, they both sound excellent. I'd never heard a Tupac poem, he was very good.
Old 7th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchardsmith View Post
Thank you so much for posting! Looking forward to the full mixes!
Man, what a useful comparison. Thank you. They both sound very good, but the c100 misses the resonance the c800 responds with around 300-400hz - the character which allows it to pop with less compression, IMO. Little bit pushed in the upper-mids, but not harsh. Seems like the c100 should excel on modern pop/rap vocal production. I'll have to think about pushing this one to the shortlist !
Old 7th December 2019
Here for the gear

yeah the top ends are similar. But the mids are where the 800 shines. It's more balanced across the spectrum, while giving access to an extended top end. That said, for the difference in price, some eq and the right warm pre could get the 100 there.

I'm wondering how the C38B compares now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronmaster View Post
Man, what a useful comparison. Thank you. They both sound very good, but the c100 misses the resonance the c800 responds with around 300-400hz - the character which allows it to pop with less compression, IMO. Little bit pushed in the upper-mids, but not harsh. Seems like the c100 should excel on modern pop/rap vocal production. I'll have to think about pushing this one to the shortlist !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search