The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147! Condenser Microphones
Old 7th February 2018
The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147!

I had the pleasure to test and compare four beautiful microphones:
The new GOLDEN AGE PREMIER GA-47, the new WARM AUDIO WA-47 the NEUMANN M-147 and last but not least an original NEUMANN U47!

You can download 57 high-quality audio files in 24Bit/48Khz and watch 9 videos here.

It includes:
– Vocals female and male, close and far
– Voice over, close and far
– Screaming, belting
– Piano, open lid
– Acoustic guitar, picking and strumming

You'll also find more information about the signal chain.

For those of you who prefer not to be biased by brand names, I also included a blind shootout for download!

Here's a link to one of the videos and you gonna find some samples below.
Anyone who's interested in the mic names can PM me.
Hint: It's probably not the same order as seen in the videos

I will add some of my personal opinions for each microphone soon, but for now I don’t want to bias your listening experience.
Which one do you prefer? and why?

Cheers everyone!

Ps: Big thanks to Ed Bentley at the beautiful Bakermoon Studios in Berlin , singer Emily Intsiful and photographer Tim Ho
The cinematic cover version of “Human” feat. Emily Intsiful is available here: YouTube

Attached Thumbnails
The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147!-dsc_3255-2.jpg   The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147!-dsc_3321-2.jpg   The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147!-dsc_3485-2.jpg   The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147!-dsc_3463-2.jpg  
Attached Files

Mic1-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 16808 views)

Mic2-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 16457 views)

Mic3-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 16395 views)

Mic4-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 16483 views)

Mic1-Female-Belting-close.wav (3.01 MB, 15651 views)

Mic2-Female-Belting-close.wav (3.01 MB, 15692 views)

Mic3-Female-Belting-close.wav (3.01 MB, 15756 views)

Mic4-Female-Belting-close.wav (3.01 MB, 15907 views)

Last edited by roughgear; 7th February 2018 at 05:31 PM..
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Maniac

This is great, thanks very much for your effort! :D

Just one point to clarify, the acoustic guitar videos on YouTube display the Neumann U47 twice during the video and don’t display the M147 at all, is this correct?
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen View Post
Just one point to clarify, the acoustic guitar videos on YouTube display the Neumann U47 twice during the video and don’t display the M147 at all, is this correct?
Yes, unfortunately the camera went out of battery.
But I included the audio files of the M-147 in the package!
Old 8th February 2018
Gear Head

I'm amazed at how dull the WA47 sounded on Acoustic guitar. Any chance that it was in figure 8 accidentally or any other variable? I didn't notice it on any other source. Great job with the video series! A real resource
Old 8th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitfiddler View Post
I'm amazed at how dull the WA47 sounded on Acoustic guitar. Any chance that it was in figure 8 accidentally or any other variable? I didn't notice it on any other source. Great job with the video series! A real resource
Hey guitfiddler, the WA-47 was in cardioid position and pointed in the right direction.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Wow... the Golden Age 47 hangs with the U47 in these tests, I'm impressed and interested.

What tube and capsule were in this vintage U47?
Old 8th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Wow... the Golden Age 47 hangs with the U47 in these tests, I'm impressed and interested.

What tube and capsule were in this vintage U47?
Hi Will, thanks for asking. The vintage U47 has the VF14M tube, BV-08 Transformer and M7 capsule.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
Hi Will, thanks for asking. The vintage U47 has the VF14M tube, BV-08 Transformer and M7 capsule.
Then that makes the GAP GA-47 even more impressive IMHO.
I may have to grab a GA-47 to test it for myself later this year..... I appreciate you taking the time with these tests and posting them.
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

I'm interested as well. Bo has a new " Premium " line forming. Somehow I trust his vision..

Matti
Old 10th February 2018
Hey, I've just added my personal review of the GA-47 in the review section and added a few more audio samples to compare Omni and Cardioid patterns.

GA-47 Review
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Head

Thanks for the shootout! Downloaded the files and quickly listened to the close male vocal and acoustic guitar strumming. First impressions: I liked U47 best for both sources, but the GA 47 wasn't far behind - great showing here! I liked the GA better than both the M147 (sorta "pinched" sounding maybe?) and the WA-47 (darker, kinda flat and less focused/clear it seems). Looks like the GA 47 runs around $1,800 USD retail? Wonder how it'd compare to Advanced Audio's 47 style offerings (cheaper) or IOAudio's M47 kit (a little pricier I think). Looks like GA has a solid contender in the 47-alikes. Well done GA.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominousshaman View Post
Thanks for the shootout! Downloaded the files and quickly listened to the close male vocal and acoustic guitar strumming. First impressions: I liked U47 best for both sources, but the GA 47 wasn't far behind - great showing here! I liked the GA better than both the M147 (sorta "pinched" sounding maybe?) and the WA-47 (darker, kinda flat and less focused/clear it seems). Looks like the GA 47 runs around $1,800 USD retail? Wonder how it'd compare to Advanced Audio's 47 style offerings (cheaper) or IOAudio's M47 kit (a little pricier I think). Looks like GA has a solid contender in the 47-alikes. Well done GA.
The GA-47 runs $1500 USD shipped, making it a true bang for the buck U47 voiced mic contender.

Premier Microphones
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear

u47 is a clear winner here. Especially on the female vocals. The other mic’s aren’t bad but just can’t compete.

u47 sounds clarer, bigger, warmer and more detailed.

Last edited by chrisdee; 7th March 2018 at 06:21 AM..
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Suprised at the GA-47 too, although seemed to overly dampen the upper register in the singer in an exaggerated way. Had no cut. Might be a good choice for a harsh singer. Too dull on acoustic guitar.

The WA-47 sounded like crap in the singers upper register. Hurt my ears. Sounded OK on acoustic guitar.

The M147 sounded a bit boring, but even and workable.

The U47 had the most even response. It had cut and bottom, but not harsh cut, throughout her range. The guitar sounded even and balanced.
Old 20th March 2018
For me #4 (U47) All The Way! I was surprised at the result. Second place for me was the WA-47.
Really excellent shootout files. I appreciate what you did SO much. I wanted to get the WA-47, but now I know I will just have to figure out how to buy a real U-47. Errrrrrrg.
Old 20th March 2018
For me U47 All The Way! I was surprised at the result. Second place for me was the WA-47.
Really excellent shootout files. I appreciate what you did SO much. I wanted to get the WA-47, but now I know I will just have to figure out how to buy a real U-47. Errrrrrrg.
Old 29th March 2018
Here for the gear
Conclusion : a good singer is a good singer whatever mic you put in front of him/her !
No need for 8000$ microphones to make good music. This is just marketing that we do for our clients. Like having a big console that will only be used for it s monitoring section...
My experience anyway is that a good microphone can help on bad singers or bad sound sources in the fact that they don t accentuate the pbs (harsh voice, aggressive guitar sound, etc...) But when you have a great musicien, just put an average good microphone in front of him/her, and it will deliver !
Old 6th April 2018
A couple of points....

1. Wow, she has a GREAT voice. That is amazing!

2. I really suspect a lot of folks are going to chime in with "well of course I can tell the best sounding mic is the U47." Conformation bias is real and it's human, it's okay to admit it. The performance and the song matters way more than the gear. Emily Intsiful's singing is amazing, if I couldn't can't get a good take from her on any of these mics the problem would be on the other side of the glass.

Seriously, I know people are going to get defensive, this isn't an attack. I am just trying to be realistic, every mic in this test is usable to make a good sounding recording. And I suspect if this were a true blind test I think the results would be much more scattered.

3. Great work roughgear (although I wish the video would have been a blind test without names so I could discount my own bias as well).
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
I am just trying to be realistic, every mic in this test is usable to make a good sounding recording. And I suspect if this were a true blind test I think the results would be much more scattered.

+1000 I have a Lawson L47 and Neumann M147 and with the right placement I can get a great finished track with each of them and mix them to sound pretty much identical. These tests just provide me with comic relief when I read the majority of comments which most likely are biased by what they believe about each brand of mic. I should just pass on by when I see the titles but I'm drawn to reading the thread the same way I look at a car wreck. I just can't turn away

Really...If you want to buy any one of these microphones, work hard, make the money, buy one, and try it in your room on the typical sources you record which is the only true test that counts
Old 15th April 2018
I like shoot-outs. I like blind test me and train my ears.

U47 is a winner. I was hoping that clones would be much better. But no.

WA47 is dull crap. GA47 is better then WA47 but still has a weird response. M147 is better then GA47 and still doesn't sound like a record.

But maaann, the price...
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

I purchased a Warm Audio WA-47, tube condenser microphone about a week ago. Firstly, I must point out, in the past I have NEVER purchased so called clones of classic recording equipment as when I have been asked to test or review these clones I have always found them to come up way short and they have never lived up to their promises, I was commonly left with all talk and no action pieces of gear. As a young Music Producer / Engineer in the late 80’s I was lucky enough to grow up and learn my skills in the top studios in Australia, giving me access to their comprehensive microphone collections including many original tube 47’s which not only always sounded a little different from each other (depending on age, condition and its dedicated power supply) it was often my microphone of choice when recording vocals at Platinum Studios here in Melbourne. They had 2 of these mics to choose from and I always preferred one in particular. I currently have my own extensive microphone collection and have been on the lookout for an original classic tube 47 to add to it but have been hesitant due to my knowledge that it can be a bit hit or miss with how the originals sound today. So, for the first time I bit the bullet, did some more research on the company Warm Audio which I have been interested in for the past few years, spoke in depth with Studio Connections and after being satisfied with the outcome I purchased a WA-47. I received the mic the next day (thanks to Jase) and put it straight to the test. OMG fellow studio junkies and musicians, the moment I unboxed this mic, admired the build quality in my hands and then linked it up to my GML Mic Pre, I was gob smacked. My instant impression was how beautiful and full the low end sounded complimented by a sweet as honey top end and everything in between. In my opinion they have not only achieved to build a mic that sounds like the original, because its new with next to no noise in the line, it actually sounds that little bit better than any original I have had the pleasure to use. I am so impressed with this mic I will purchase another as I always want a minimum of 2 units of the gear I add to my personal collection. In the coming weeks I will also confidently purchase Warm Audio’s TB12 Tone Beast Mic Pre, the WA76 Compressor and the WA47jr. Stay tuned for the results, If the WA-47 is anything to go by I’m anticipating to be very impressed indeed.

Last edited by olivine; 17th April 2018 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: retailer error listed
Old 20th April 2018
Lives for gear
I watched the video, thanks for it! In the comparison video the U47 sounds so good. The M147 is more detailed but not as musical to my ears. My order of preference goes like U47 > M147 >= GA47 > WA47.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Addict

Well, golden age does say it is a blend of a 47 and 67 so I wouldn't call it a clone. I think it sounds fantastic.
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

They all sounded good. Beyond a certain threshold of quality it becomes a matter of taste. If I have a complaint it's with the kid singing Cripple Creek. Poor choice of singer and or material, I couldn't listen to him but the young woman sang well.
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ominousshaman View Post
I'm also very curious as to how Golden Age's offering compares to Advanced Audio's CM47, as they seem to have a similar design philosophy, at least in that they're a 47 type circuitry but with a 67 style capsule.

I was really, really impressed with the GA-47. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any shootouts at all with the AA CM47, and no threads on here seem to be comparing them.
Old 1st October 2018
Here's a question to all of you
If you could freely choose the capsule used in the GA-47 which one would choose? I don't only mean basic designs, but also manufacturers.
In Germany, Siegfried Thiersch is well know for his M7 replicas.
Any other ideas?
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
I had the pleasure to test and compare four beautiful microphones:
The new GOLDEN AGE PREMIER GA-47, the new WARM AUDIO WA-47 the NEUMANN M-147 and last but not least an original NEUMANN U47!

You can download 57 high-quality audio files in 24Bit/48Khz and watch 9 videos here.

It includes:
– Vocals female and male, close and far
– Voice over, close and far
– Screaming, belting
– Piano, open lid
– Acoustic guitar, picking and strumming

You'll also find more information about the signal chain.

For those of you who prefer not to be biased by brand names, I also included a blind shootout for download!

Here's a link to one of the videos and you gonna find some samples below.
Anyone who's interested in the mic names can PM me.
Hint: It's probably not the same order as seen in the videos

I will add some of my personal opinions for each microphone soon, but for now I don’t want to bias your listening experience.
Which one do you prefer? and why?

Cheers everyone!

Ps: Big thanks to Ed Bentley at the beautiful Bakermoon Studios in Berlin , singer Emily Intsiful and photographer Tim Ho
The cinematic cover version of “Human” feat. Emily Intsiful is available here: YouTube

Great shootout. The U47 clones sound close to the original.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchat2314715 View Post
Great shootout. The U47 clones sound close to the original.
I appreciate this video, but...

Anybody that owns or uses a M147 successfully knows that mic is extremely directional and gets pretty thin, pretty fast, outside it's sweet spot, and I don't think the girl in the shootout is in the sweet spot! I like the tone this girl gets in her home studio with the M147, she's in closer and using the proximity effect to her advantage...

Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
I like the tone this girl gets in her home studio with the M147, she's in closer and using the proximity effect to her advantage...
What makes you think she actually used that M147 to cut the vocals? This is a music video, not a live recording, lol.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
What makes you think she actually used that M147 to cut the vocals? This is a music video, not a live recording, lol.
Look again, that's live (LIVE LOOPER MASHUP!!!), she's been doing these for awhile. Check her playing live on Kimmel...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search