The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)
Old 7th January 2018
Post Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)

Hello slutz
I modified this compressor just for fun....
I added a pair of output transformers
I also changed aesthetics a bit, I added new knobs to change the look ...

I compared it with my favorite Buss compressor 'Cytomic The Glue' and ............... as there is a rumor that says the MDX 1000 is a copy of the DBX 160 I compared it with the version DBX 160 VST made by WAVES ..... (Sorry recently I sold my DBX160X )
I compared several tracks:
Bass, Drums, Guitars, Voices .... and also the complete Mix through the compressor.
I tried to describe the names of the files as best I could so that you understand better, saying each setting I used.
I included the images of the harmonic distortion of each one.
I also tried to make the audio levels as equal as possible, sorry if not.
RAW Files, No EQ, no FX...RUSH Mix

Feel free to ask any question

Mp3 Pack Files

Wav Pack Files

Be you the judges ...

About the audio files:
Code:
Gracie Day - What You Need
(live mix)

Sam Ash Music Multi-Track Session Files
Recorded & Mixed live by Jake Subin 
@ TELEFUNKEN Studios
June 21, 2016
Old 8th January 2018
Post Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)

Audio Files below!

Last edited by PereGrinoz; 10th January 2018 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Duplicated Post
Old 8th January 2018
Audio Files

Here The Audio Files...
Attached Files

Cytomic The Glue Drums (Attack .3, Release Auto,4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1650 views)

Cytomic The Glue Mix (Attack .3, Release Auto,3-5 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1627 views)

Cytomic The Glue Vocals (Attack .3, Release Auto,4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1596 views)

Drums (Original With DA-AD).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1606 views)

Mix (Original With DA-AD).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1592 views)

Modded MDX 1000 ACGTR ( Auto, SoftkNee, 4-6 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1609 views)

Modded MDX 1000 Bass ( Auto, SoftkNee, 4-6 GR, Ratio 3_1) 1.mp3 (3.36 MB, 1616 views)

Modded MDX 1000 Drums ( Auto, SoftkNee, 4-6 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1656 views)

Modded MDX 1000 Mix ( Auto, SoftkNee, 3-5 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1616 views)

Modded MDX 1000 Vocals ( Auto, SoftkNee, 4-6 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1578 views)

No Mod MDX 1000 ACGTR ( Auto, SoftkNee, 4-6 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1557 views)

No Mod MDX 1000 Bass (Auto, SoftKnee, 4-6 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1555 views)

No Mod MDX 1000 Drums (Auto, SoftKnee, 3-4 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1564 views)

No Mod MDX 1000 Mix (Auto, SoftkNee, 3-5 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1567 views)

No Mod MDX 1000 Vocals (Auto, SoftKnee, 4-6 GR, Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1538 views)

Vocals (Original With DA-AD).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1519 views)

Waves DBX 160 ACGTR (4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1529 views)

Waves DBX 160 Bass (4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1528 views)

Waves DBX 160 Drums (4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1540 views)

Waves DBX 160 Vocals (4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1530 views)

ACGTR (Original With DA-AD).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1531 views)

Bass (Original With DA-AD).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1518 views)

Cytomic The Glue ACGTR (Attack .3, Release Auto,4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 2057 views)

Cytomic The Glue Bass (Attack .3, Release Auto,4-6 GR ,Ratio 3_1).mp3 (3.36 MB, 1519 views)

Old 8th January 2018
Internals Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-modded-internals1.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-modded-internals2.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-no-mod-internals1.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-no-mod-internals2.jpg  

Last edited by PereGrinoz; 8th January 2018 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Internal Pics
Old 8th January 2018
Knobs Mod!
Attached Thumbnails
Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-img_e1407.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-img_e1398.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-img_e1400.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-img_e1404.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-img_e1406.jpg  

Old 8th January 2018
Harmonic Distortion...
Mod version VS Waves DBX 160 look similar
Attached Thumbnails
Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-all.jpg   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-hd-modded.png   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-hd-no-mod.png   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-hd-glue.png   Beh*#$ger MDX 1000 - Transformer/Knobs Mod - Pictures - Audios and More(Versus)-hd-waves-160.png  

Old 8th January 2018
Leave yours opinions..
Old 9th January 2018
Here for the gear

I'm not always the best with accurate sonic descriptions, but it sounds like the transformers added some heft in the low mids, reduced the noise/haze in the 1.5k-5k region, and made everything sound a bit snappier up top. Overall, a big improvement! A-Bing the modded and unmodded mix, it sounds like the transformers add some polish that "sound more like a record", whatever that means to you. Dig the new knobs, too.

Which transformers did you put in?
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

A great test, very thorough! If I could suggest one thing it would be to spank the compressors harder to make the differences more obvious. The drums sound good through the Behringer, they go smack where the plugs get a bit mushy. I've got some Composers and have thought about adding transformers. The OT1 ones are the neatest but I suspect any 600:600 transformers could go in? I tried an OEP Z1604 wired up to some jack sockets and tested it. It was a very subtle difference, and that's what I'm getting with these tests. I think the vast majority of the character comes from the compressor itselt.
Old 10th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNige View Post
I'm not always the best with accurate sonic descriptions, but it sounds like the transformers added some heft in the low mids, reduced the noise/haze in the 1.5k-5k region, and made everything sound a bit snappier up top. Overall, a big improvement! A-Bing the modded and unmodded mix, it sounds like the transformers add some polish that "sound more like a record", whatever that means to you.
Damn haha...This is the same thing that I noticed when listened the mod version vs unmodded..plus some coloration in general
Also...this mod add 6DBs more to output of gain ...

Quote:
Dig the new knobs, too.

Thanks..
it look like a vintage/retro gear now lol

Quote:
come back on Friday I'll post that info
Old 10th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
A great test, very thorough! If I could suggest one thing it would be to spank the compressors harder to make the differences more obvious. The drums sound good through the Behringer, they go smack where the plugs get a bit mushy. I've got some Composers and have thought about adding transformers. The OT1 ones are the neatest but I suspect any 600:600 transformers could go in? I tried an OEP Z1604 wired up to some jack sockets and tested it. It was a very subtle difference, and that's what I'm getting with these tests. I think the vast majority of the character comes from the compressor itselt.
I think so....if you can fits it.
One of the reasons I wanted to modify this comp was thinking to add coloration, because for clean comps... there are the plugins compressors.
The MDX 1000 unmod has some round character in the low end frequency.... now has more... to me...
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
A great test, very thorough! If I could suggest one thing it would be to spank the compressors harder to make the differences more obvious
Sure, I will...
Old 12th January 2018
Quote:
A great test, very thorough! If I could suggest one thing it would be to spank the compressors harder to make the differences more obvious.
Here the files with more gain reduction...
I used the same setting as before, just more GR...
Old 12th January 2018
Creative drums

For fun a I just smack the drums files with a lot of GR (20DBs ) and faster setting/HardKnee an high ratio, ect....
Each file is labeled with the setting..

Here the link to download the last files..:
Wavs files
https://app.box.com/s/zxd96fupcvvlmeulcs0iqofmd9jo948b

Mp3s Files
https://app.box.com/s/a2zbwpler3uhfbqd89yuvz3q51lquu57

Sound good for creative and parallel drums

Last edited by PereGrinoz; 12th January 2018 at 03:12 PM..
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PereGrinoz View Post
For fun a I just smack the drums files with a lot of GR (20DBs ) and faster setting/HardKnee an high ratio, ect....
Each file is labeled with the setting..

Here the link to download the last files..:
Wavs files
https://app.box.com/s/zxd96fupcvvlmeulcs0iqofmd9jo948b

Mp3s Files
https://app.box.com/s/a2zbwpler3uhfbqd89yuvz3q51lquu57

Sound good for creative and parallel drums
I like these, rather Led Zep! A bit much for the original track but it shows the Behringer can sound good cranked. My MDX2100 is similar but with gates, they're fun to play with.
Old 14th January 2018
Quote:
I like these, rather Led Zep! A bit much for the original track but it shows the Behringer can sound good cranked. My MDX2100 is similar but with gates, they're fun to play with.
Yeah it has a similar sound..also I cranked up the output gain to get more color
Old 14th January 2018
Here for the gear

So...care to reveal the transformers yet?
Old 15th January 2018
Talking Dirtiest

Quote:
So...care to reveal the transformers yet?
Oh sh1t i forgot it...
Behringer OT-1 taken from two DI boxes...
Come all haters now..I invoke to all

"If sounds good is good" and forget the rest...
Old 15th January 2018
Here for the gear

Nice! Well, it definitely sounds good to me. Enough to start the search for myself to get the comp and make the mods!
Old 19th January 2018
Quote:
Nice! Well, it definitely sounds good to me. Enough to start the search for myself to get the comp and make the mods!
Thanks Nige....
I'm will buy another MDX to do the same...this sh1t is cheap but sound great!!
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Nige....
I'm will buy another MDX to do the same...this sh1t is cheap but sound great!!
Nice work PereGrinoz , I'm going to do this with a mdx 2100 Ive got as I have a couple of spare OT-1's hanging around. Did you have to take out the two resistors in each OT-1 section on the pcb first. I'm assuming you do but just want to be sure.
Old 24th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis1 View Post
Nice work PereGrinoz , I'm going to do this with a mdx 2100 Ive got as I have a couple of spare OT-1's hanging around. Did you have to take out the two resistors in each OT-1 section on the pcb first. I'm assuming you do but just want to be sure.
Yes I did it...
If not, the sound will be the same
Good luck... and show me the result plz!!
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I did it...
If not, the sound will be the same
Good luck... and show me the result plz!!
Thanks , but i already went ahead a few weeks ago and i did take the resistors out as I've put OT-1s in my ultrafex EX3200 a couple of years back and had to unsolder a couple of wires per channel so it made sense to remove the resistors as well.That went well.... but my mdx 2100 seems to be acting up and not doing what a comp dose after installing the transformers so I've probably done something wrong..Its like the controls don't seem to make any differance to the sound except the output knob..... I need to take another look at it but i guess you win some, you loose some.
Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Update. Well I had another look at it and re-set the cable ribons...put it back together and it works perfectly now and I really like the sound on this thing as it seems more natural on the low end now. I'm going to put an eq on the inserts next session to see how well that plays with it. Was it worth it...I'd have to say yes definitely.

Last edited by louis1; 6th May 2018 at 12:49 AM..
Old 16th September 2018
Here for the gear
OMG this thread is amazing...
I hate beh but this test made me like it
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Nut

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how is placing the transformer at the output stage of the comp different from just patching the comp output into a DI that uses that same transformer?

Is it simply a better use of space?

Nice info here thanks for sharing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search