The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rode NTR vs Royer 122
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear
Rode NTR vs Royer 122

I have had the Royer 122's for some time now. One had to go into the shop for a re-ribbon so I thought I'd try out some Rode NTR's. I purchased this used and it's in great shape.

The Rode NTR is a large heavy, dare I say, expensive looking mic. The packaging, while not in a wood box like the Royers's, is something out of what Apple might package the mic like - only better. It's a very impressive box. The mic holder for the mic is equally impressive. I wish my Telefunken 251 had just as nice machining on the mic holder.

This was a very quick set up. I level matched as best I could with a metronome. The pre amp used is a PACIFICA - a bright sounding preamp already. It may not have been the best thing for the NTR in my opinion. The guitar is a Martin OM Brazilian with adi top - set up with way too low action (Heh, the way I like it). I'm a finger strummer. The first is open chords the second with a capo on the fifth fret. I put the mics as close as they could be to each other. They are about a foot away from the lower third of the neck - but I think they could have been moved back farther due to too much woof. Again, this is a quick set up... with time anyone can do better but often in a session you are forced to just setup and record with very little mic placement time. This is the same performance recorded by the two mics at the same time.

This is the same for piano - a Steinway D. Recorded with one Royer 122 and one Rode NTR positioned at the inside bell of the piano a few feet away. The file had to be faded at the end to get to under the size for the site limit. I level matched as best I could but recording piano is one of the most difficult instruments to capture.

Here is A and B: which is which? (I'll reveal when I get some answers)

Answer: A is Royer 122, B is Rode NTR.

Personally, I liked the Royer on the guitar best and the Rode NTR on the Piano best. In my opinion, the Rode NTR is a VERY nice mic for a great price too.
Attached Files

A Ribbon.wav (7.89 MB, 3425 views)

B Ribbon.wav (7.89 MB, 3409 views)

A Ribbon Piano.wav (9.39 MB, 3365 views)

B Ribbon Piano.wav (9.39 MB, 3374 views)

Last edited by piano; 4th November 2017 at 11:20 PM..
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear
After I get some answers, I'll put these up on my Steinway D and see how they duke it out there.

See above for the Piano files.

Last edited by piano; 30th October 2017 at 05:18 AM..
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear
I can't tell them apart
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear
All you have to say is if you like A or B --- or if you can't tell them apart.
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Head

After listening to the 1st 9 seconds of each... I'll take B.
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Addict

B is my favorite. Smoother than A.
Old 28th October 2017
very very similar. couldn't say i prefer one over the other.
Old 28th October 2017
Here for the gear

I prefer B.
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Head

pref B
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Head

I like A more, seems like it has more shimmer and detail.
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear
Piano files are up in the original post now.

Last edited by piano; 30th October 2017 at 05:10 AM..
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear
400 plus views and only 5 answers.....

Gotta see more before I reveal. Come on.... don't be scared.
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Nut

Ntr probably A? Not that keen on either B sounds a bit honky?
Old 2nd November 2017
I prefer A in both examples. It just sounds more coherent overall, and on guitar especially there's just a lot more going on in the midrange. I would say A is Royer and B is Rode, just because of the preference and expectation of the more expensive microphone sounding, but I generally have no idea. Hope it's the other way around, if true I will just go and buy a pair of NTRs Can I have the answer in PM? Cheers!
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Nut

Perhaps strangely, I strongly preferred A on guitar and B on Piano. Go figure
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear
I sent everyone an answer key who answered.

I actually liked one better for piano and one better for guitar as well.

Give me a few more replies guys. I'll send you the answer key if you do!
Old 5th November 2017
Gear Addict

Thanks for the PM!

A sounds more midforward where B sounds more mellow, smiley. The choose maybe instrument/song/mix dependent, as always. But, price wise, I could live with a NTR pair since ribbons take the eq very well.

Some voice recording to compare?
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
Thanks for the PM!

A sounds more midforward where B sounds more mellow, smiley. The choose maybe instrument/song/mix dependent, as always. But, price wise, I could live with a NTR pair since ribbons take the eq very well.

Some voice recording to compare?
Indeed, the NTR's are pretty good considering how much they cost. Rode still has not gotten back to me about how much a re-ribbon would be.

Vocals with these ribbon mics? Not sure I could trust the clientele, which are highly trained musicians, not to accidentally or deliberately blow into the mic to test it. Good musicians usually have not the foggiest idea about gear. They spent most of their time practicing!

I've had three Royers get blown - and I never knew how it happened. Likely when my back was turned or I was not in the room.

Last edited by piano; 14th November 2017 at 06:41 AM..
Old 6th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
Indeed, the NTR's are pretty good considering how much they cost. Rode still has not gotten back to me about how much a re-ribbon would be.

Vocals with these ribbon mics? Not sure I could trust the clientele, which are highly trained musicians, not to accidentally or deliberately blow into the mic to test it. Good musicians usually have not the foggiest idea about gear. They spent most of their time practicing!

I've had three Royers get blown - and I never knew how it happened. Likely when my back was turned or I was not in the room.
i always use a popshield, always with vocals.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
i always use a popshield, always with vocals.
LOL, me too! But I am sure you can imagine when you don't have the CUE system on,

TAP TAP TAP. "hey is this thing on?" BLOOOWWWWW. Pufffffff.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Maniac

A is the Rode.

I don't think either mic is good for the acoustic and/or the mics were not in an optimal position.

On piano, I prefer B.
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Maniac
May be B could be better...
But I find that both have some kind of nasal sound, not full open..
Old 24th October 2018
Here for the gear

I prefer microphone B on both sources. It will be interesting to get the results.
Old 24th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strap View Post
I prefer microphone B on both sources. It will be interesting to get the results.
just will say that I didn't buy a pair of Rode's
Old 29th March 2019
Here for the gear

I prefer B, especially on piano.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Addict

B sounds better and more detailed to my ears.

Daniel.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac
liked the B for piano. would you pm me what were those for piano?

I'm looking to buy ntr to record grand piano as well. this is going to be really helpful
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

I have listened to the piano samples only. I initially preferred A that sounded beefier to me, especially the low E at beginning. Then I checked the levels. They have the same -0.1 dBFS peak level but not the same RMS levels: A is 1 dB higher. After -1 dB gain applied to A, I may still prefer A. Because of a small compression from the microphone dynamic response ?
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

Still liking my Rode NTR pair of mics

I purchased mine new from a popular on-line source, about a year ago, as I was hired to record a talented pair of marimba players, on two beautiful marimbas.

The recording came out great. I also set up a Beyer M130/M160, and an older Oktava ML17 ribbon mic. After a lot of listening the NTR pair were the winners.

Even through the all those ribbon mics were placed at the same distance, the Rode NTR sounded to be closer (more detailed). Warm, clear, detailed, nice.

Note that the 1960s vintage Octava ML17 is an expensive mic, when you can even find a good one, and was used by Rod Stuart on some of his songs when he recorded that "old time ballads" album a few years ago that became such a hit.

So just a week ago I recorded a local (Northern California) jazz combo with solo trumpet, drums, bass, guitar. Again I placed the vintage Oktava ribbon mic up an inch away from the Rode NTR, on the trumpet. I was sure the vintage ribbon would be the winner, more "Miles Davis" like and all that. But it ended up just sounding a little bit muddy, and the final mix has 75% Rode NTR and 25% Oktava ML17.

On that same session I put my other Rode NTR up a few inches away from the guitar amp speaker, and it really nailed the warm tube amp tone. Everyone like the sound we got.

I also have a decent 7' grand piano and the Rode NTR pair sound excellent on it. I personally like a pair of large condenser Neumann mics a little better on the piano, especially if it's a solo piano recording. They add a little more "heft" and thickness to the sound. But again, the Rode pair (at less than 1/2 the price of the Neumann pair) sound excellent.

I just thought I'd add to the discussion with my good good experience with the Rode NTR. By the way the marimba recording used Sound Devices portable recorder, and all studio recording used Neve 5052 Portico preamps.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

I like B better, it was a lot smoother than A in the top end, if a little darker.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search