The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope vs. Waves vs. Slate British 4K EQ models
Old 5th May 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Antelope vs. Waves vs. Slate British 4K EQ models

A stereo piano recording boosted 15db at 3kHz at various Q settings by the Antelope VEQ-4K, the Waves SSL 4K, and the Slate FG-S Brit 4K.

Old 5th May 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Thks for sharing , great video ...
Old 5th May 2017
  #3
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thanks Marcel. One thing to note is that when you set the Waves and Slate EQ's to "3khz", neither are actually 3khz exactly. Also, the gain ranges on each plugin are not exactly the same. I'd recommend using a spectrum analyzer to precisely match the frequencies and gains exactly. For example, you can see how vastly different the settings were on the Slate and UAD in order to make the same curves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g2pjTESQPM

Cheers,
Steven
Old 5th May 2017
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Same remark on my mind , the way the antelope sounds smoother made me think actually something wrong lol .'

Anyway it sounded less ssl ish to my ears ....or more duende issh if you want ( smoother ssl )

One thing i learned for sure with time is that i never judge emus comparing them at teh same settings .... because it sayz nothing , exept if the sound the same ornot at those settings ...
Old 5th May 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Thanks Marcel. One thing to note is that when you set the Waves and Slate EQ's to "3khz", neither are actually 3khz exactly. Also, the gain ranges on each plugin are not exactly the same. I'd recommend using a spectrum analyzer to precisely match the frequencies and gains exactly. For example, you can see how vastly different the settings were on the Slate and UAD in order to make the same curves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g2pjTESQPM

Cheers,
Steven
I also could hear different gain ranges and also the Waves can boost to 20db, instead of both of our 15db boosts, which is why I left it at 15 where the others are.

Another comparison we can do is a slow sweep of each, which I'm happy to post too.

Thank you for chiming in.
Old 5th May 2017
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Red Black's Avatar
Yeah, this is not a great comparison in my opinion.. we're hearing different EQ curves and there's no real conclusion to come to. Best to match settings on an FFT (which will always lead to different control settings) and then compare short, repeated phrases. Another method is to flip the polarity on one channel and then tweak settings for the highest degree of cancellation.

I don't have the Antelope to compare but I can compare the other two and show how close they can be. I'll also throw my personal fave algorithmic EQ into the mix just for fun.. it's not an SSL emu though.

.
Attached Files

PIANO SSL TEST - 1.mp3 (950.1 KB, 923 views)

PIANO SSL TEST - 2.mp3 (950.1 KB, 919 views)

PIANO SSL TEST - 3.mp3 (950.1 KB, 914 views)

PIANO SSL TEST - DRY.mp3 (950.1 KB, 902 views)

Old 5th May 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
Yeah, this is not a great comparison in my opinion.. we're hearing different EQ curves and there's no real conclusion to come to.
.
I do disagree that listening to the same settings isn't a good comparison no matter which one prefers. The wide and narrow Q's are extremely telling and negate a lot of what may differ about a unit's gain range.

But, I will, as I said, post some sweeps too, to give the listener another aspect to consider. Also, I'm going to post a full mix with the same test, as this becomes even more obvious and less nuanced the way a fragile piano can be.
Old 15th May 2017
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
A stereo piano recording boosted 15db at 3kHz at various Q settings by the Antelope VEQ-4K, the Waves SSL 4K, and the Slate FG-S Brit 4K.

The thing i like here this is within the unit ..seems like some people can get rid of a bunch of plugins.If i am not mistaking ???
Old 18th May 2017
  #9
Gear Head
Thanks for sharing Marcel, any chances to do the same with other instruments as well?

Thanks
Old 29th June 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProGearLover View Post
The thing i like here this is within the unit ..seems like some people can get rid of a bunch of plugins.If i am not mistaking ???
This is correct. You can certainly take a load off your CPU. These lend themselves very well to stem processing and mix bus/mastering duties.

And the Tube compressors can be saturated very aggressively on the outputs, which is a great loudening trick.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump