The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The new Apogee Element series vs Apollo 16 blackface (A/D only)
View Poll Results: Which did you prefer?
Mix A
6 Votes - 18.18%
Mix B
17 Votes - 51.52%
Can't tell
5 Votes - 15.15%
Don't care/too unscientific/shootouts suck, make music
4 Votes - 12.12%
Sorry, couldn't get past the poor playing
1 Votes - 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th February 2017
Gear Nut

The new Apogee Element series vs Apollo 16 blackface (A/D only)

I had about an hour with a new Element 88 before I had to ship it off to someone, and I took the opportunity to split a signal from a preamp and send simultaneously to both Element and my blackface UAD Apollo 16 mk2.

I DID NOT have any guitarists around so I had to do it myself, sorry about the terribly playing! I had to do this super quick...

Both inputs were set to take a +4dBu line level signal, so the Apogee's preamp portion should be out of the picture, and thereby here you have a pure A/D conversion test. No compression, eq, effects, or even level matching. Purely the difference between tracking to one vs the other, with exact same pan and mix on the tracks.

Tell me your preference in the poll!
Attached Files

ADShootoutMixA.wav (6.98 MB, 3876 views)

ADShootoutMixB.wav (6.98 MB, 3846 views)

Old 12th February 2017
Gear Nut

C'mon, a hundred fiddy views (of both files) but just four votes so far? Need more

Old 12th February 2017
Lives for gear
I think they are close but the second is the UA. It has a slight glare in the mids that I don't like.
Old 13th February 2017
Gear Head

They both sound good , I'd have to go with B. please PM me which is which or post which is which soon. Thanks for posting
Old 14th February 2017
Gear Nut

Two hundred fiddy views now and only 5 votes

The answers, fwiw

A = Apollo
B = Element

Would still love any and all thoughts!

Old 16th February 2017
Gear Maniac

B is fuller sounding and sweeter sounding. A is a little harsh (highs), thin, and wasn't as pleasing to listen too
Old 16th February 2017
Gear Head

Thanks for doing this.

As usual I can't hear any difference at all in conversion tests like these. (blind test)
Reaffirms my belief that money is better spent elsewhere. (for me)
Old 17th February 2017
Deleted 4fa9684
Thanks for doing this! So close they're effectively indistinguishable, but I liked a few bits of B better.
Old 8th March 2017
Gear Addict

B has better stereo image, more body and sweeter tone.

How will compare Apogee Element vs Focusrite Clarett?

Thanks for this!
Daniel.
Old 17th April 2017
Here for the gear

element 88

I played back the audio through a nice set of dual driver in-ears. You could hear the bass frequencies are a little woofy on the apollo. Element was a little smoother in the highs and lows I thought.

I was waiting for someone to do this comparison. I just bought the Element 88 and I was considering the Apollo, so I am now satisfied with my purchase!
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the thread!
Heard the two files through my Apogee Element 24---> amphion one 18 (Amphion amp 500).
On the first listen And without knowing Which is which
I like "A" better Even though It has less lows And sounded around 1.5db less then B.
Just because It had something More Dynamic,Realistic,Authentic Then B, Especially In the solo part.
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Nut

FWIW, since this came back up:

I have since upgraded on both sides, to the Apollo x8p as well as next the Symphony mkii (8x8).

I didn't get to A/B them back to back in a scientific comparison, but to my ears (whether through ATC monitors or HD650 headphones) the family difference continues, but at a (slightly) higher level of fidelity.

The Apollo x is very clear and neutral and exciting and almost sharp. The Symphony by comparison is ever so slightly bigger and warmer and more pleasant. I know converters should be neutral, but I found myself smiling when listening to a recording made with the Symphony (listening using it's D/A), whereas with the Apollo X it was as pro sounding as one could ask for but that's it. Sort of like a 1073 vs a modern 512.

For me the Symphony won.
Old 20th July 2019
Here for the gear

Nice discussion, thanks for posting it.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
FWIW, since this came back up:

I have since upgraded on both sides, to the Apollo x8p as well as next the Symphony mkii (8x8).

I didn't get to A/B them back to back in a scientific comparison, but to my ears (whether through ATC monitors or HD650 headphones) the family difference continues, but at a (slightly) higher level of fidelity.

The Apollo x is very clear and neutral and exciting and almost sharp. The Symphony by comparison is ever so slightly bigger and warmer and more pleasant. I know converters should be neutral, but I found myself smiling when listening to a recording made with the Symphony (listening using it's D/A), whereas with the Apollo X it was as pro sounding as one could ask for but that's it. Sort of like a 1073 vs a modern 512.

For me the Symphony won.
Had a similar experience as well. Had both the new Apollo’s x8p and Symphony mkII in my room. Apollo felt a bit “warmer” to me. Not exciting. But something you would want in a converter. Neutral is best way I could describe it. Switching to my Symphony I could tell there was an increased sense of detail. Could hear a slight jump in imaging. Nothing drastic but a jump for sure. In the end I kept the Symphony as it suited my workflow better for now and I wasn’t quite ready to fully invest in the UA eco system. Kudos to UA though. Definitely a good deal for all you get by going the Apollo route.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search