The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Mic Shootout - Peluso|Telefunken|414|Sputnik Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Addict

without looking at the results and a very quick listening test here is my verdict:

1 second favourite
3 not well defined, didn't like the bass and the mids
4 didn't like the mid's, nasal
5 too bright, a bit brittle on highs as well
6 my favourite
Old 9th September 2009
Here for the gear

FWIW, I listened to the files before I bought this mic, and I can't really hear that much of a difference until I sing with a mic, but I bought the telefunken mk16, and it is everything I was hoping for and much more than I expected. The knobs on the power supply for the polar patterns is way cheesy, but other than that it is just perfect!!! I've quit tweaking with my eq,and no more playing with the rolloff switches! I never realized how much tweaking and compensating by the way I sang with all my other mics, I thought that was just something you had to do with microphones. (the knob comes loose if you turn it counterclockwise, but tightens up going clockwise, so you have to turn gingerly so it goes to next positions b4 it loosens again).
Old 12th June 2010
Gear Addict

I want to upgrade my M-Audio Sputnik and I feel the 2247 (#6) is a pretty good upgrade. I feel it has more transparency and richness in the top end.

Question for the OP, did you do the clip for #6 later on? It sounds with more proximity than the rest. It sounds way better too... I am wondering if it is too good to be true or not heh
Old 17th June 2010
Here for the gear

Sputnik shmutnik

Hi there,
sorry to disagree with the common theme of Sputnik love; I think it sounds pretty nasal, with a clear upper resonance. Not a good match for your voice.
1 and 5 the money, in that order.
Was hoping that I marked the Peluso slightly higher than 3rd place, oh well...
Good shootout man.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

I listened on a good system. I actually own the Peluso 2247Se and love it but in this clip the Sputnik is best and sounds like a record. I actually like it since the top isn't as airy as the peluso.
Old 17th July 2010
Here for the gear

I like #1 and #5 for your voice/style (I'm guessing Americana?) in particular, though I agree both are a little sibilant. I like the sound of the Sputnik in general.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear
Best mic for your voice

Johnny, while I like particularly mic 6--the Peluso LE…which sounds phenomenally good overall and would be my choice for a go to studio mic for vocals and acoustics for many artists…with your voice I think personally that it sounds superior (as does the guitar) with the M-Audio Sputnik. To me there is simply more expression of your vocal characteristics and they match the tone of your guitar much better in unison…just my two cents. I listened to these two clips more than the others (and while the 414 is a wonderful mic--not at all complementary of your unique tonal characteristics.) I'd record you with the Sputnik, particularly if you are singing and playing acoustic guitar. Plus, what a nice savings overall.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search