The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Mic Shootout - Peluso|Telefunken|414|Sputnik
Old 26th March 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
www.johnnybregar.com/music/oldman_sputnik.mp3 has the Sputnik vocal on it for Ian's comparison. I tried to make it as consistent a vocal take as possible - but it was a different day and so I hope it's a good comparison.

I find the Sputnik has a high mid peak that does not flatter my voice and makes it seem pretty "pointy" sounding. However, if you have a singer who needs a bump in the high mids, the Sputnik is pretty nice. I am really liking it on my acoustic guitars at the moment...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think the Sputnik is too hot compared to the Peluso - if you need a downmix, I can do it later tonight.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
johnny, I'm sure you will sound GREAT even with an sm58 heh
but yes the sputnik it's a very good one and in my opinion the price difference (500 $ for the sputnik and 1700 $ for the peluso) is not clear in this shootout , BUT yes the peluso is better in this situation (the sputnik is litle bit "cold" for this arrangement )

keep on groovin' even you are an "old man",
Thanks for this excellent thread !
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
After hearing both clips, I have to agree with the 2247LE sounding better. It sounds pretty natural and smooth. Your voice through the Sputnik sounds a little grating on the sustained notes. The Sputnik also sounds more compressed to me. I guess if you kept the same Distressor threshold with the hotter signal from the Sputnik, that might explain it.

I still like the Sputnik on %95 of your vocal. It's just the few times when it brings out some nasties that get accentuated. Now I'm interested in the cheaper 2247 to see the difference because that one is more in my price range

BTW, this is kind of a tangent, but I thought up a background vocal idea that you may want to try on the bridge. I kept hearing it my head when I was listening to your song. Keep in mind I'm practically screaming out of my range.

Take care,
Ian
Attached Files

old man bridge vox idea.mp3 (723.6 KB, 558 views)

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
BTW, this is kind of a tangent, but I thought up a background vocal idea that you may want to try on the bridge.
I like it! In fact, I can hear a couple of 'em back there... very nice. I need to get a final vocal take going and then I'll add those in. Thanks for the contribution to my tune!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Glad you liked it. You could even cascade a third harmony on the second sustained note , although that I might sound a little too poppy. Everyone has their own limits.
Old 4th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Wow, sputnik is really suprizing. I think the Peluso sounds better in the top, but pretty amazing. I wonder what It would do with a kick ass tube.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whatever else is true, Johnny, I think the 2247 LE pretty much beats the [email protected] out of anything I've heard here on your voice except the Tele M16 Mk II (a different vibe altogether anyway). I really liked the AK47 in that other thread of yours, but it doesn't have the clarity of the LE in the highs.

I also think this is a very good production. It's just not necessarily the production I would have aimed for, but I'm a fatness freak and a valve freak on a lot of stuff.

popmann, I really wish there were some decent clips around of the short-body 2247, because I kinda think a mic like the LE only with more mids and maybe a touch more presence might be God's gift to audio. The short-body version gets a pretty bad rap on here, but I wonder whether that's just because so many people like the extended highs of C12 mics, the Pacifica pre, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
Wow, sputnik is really suprizing. I think the Peluso sounds better in the top, but pretty amazing. I wonder what It would do with a kick ass tube.
You mean the Sputnik? Sadly, there's pretty much no choice out there as far as this tube goes. It's a really obscure wire-ended pentode. Not that hard to get hold of, but you don't get all that choice you have with 12AX7s or whatever.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys ➑️
...In dense arrangements with loads of stuff and lots of harmonized vocals, the U47 type of sound does not seem to fit in without a lot of EQ work.....

No doubt this is why so many of the Beatles tunes sucked so badly.

heh heh

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To be fair, others have complained that the LE can be a bit unruly because it's got plenty of bass and plenty of highs compared to the other 2247 or something, but I think the track here shows it's manageable (to say the least).
Old 25th April 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I was really surprised to hear the difference between the ak47 and the 2247Le. from the clips, the 2247le has a WHOLE LOT more low mid-mid to it, as if it was a proximity effect (which was not the case apperantly). to my ears, the ak47 does have that rock vocal sound (scooped mids, smooth highs and full low), but its kinda the sound of a post-processed track.. The 2247 on the other hand, seems to be almost too full to fit in a dense mix, but that could be eq-d out, right??

ok, i'll get to the point, is the ak47's extreme scoop in the mids a limitation? since you really can't eq something that isn't there, does the 2247 offer more flexibility in that sense? For anyone that's dealt with both mics, how to they handle eq?

I'm really interested in getting one of these 2 mics, as an addition to my (humble) mic locker, so its not really about "a mic for 1 specific voice", but more the desire to get a "47" style mic with the most flexibility (within that genre).

any comments are much appreciated

ps. no, i can't try both and decide, as i live in a land far far away from the US!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Peluso takes EQ very, very well. A little bit goes a long way, and I'm finding that I have a lot of flexibility with this mic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
thanks, that's good to know. Great track by the way! and the peluso does sound really good on your voice.
Old 4th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After I few level adjustments in the levels, here is my picks:

1-Peluso 2247 LE (Big, full, detailed, warm) thumbsup
2-Sputink (althought very different from the 2247 (lighter), sounds like a record on this singer)

I didin't like the other mics...

(The great river is a great pre too)
Old 4th May 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta ➑️
After I few level adjustments in the levels, here is my picks:

1-Peluso 2247 LE (Big, full, detailed, warm) thumbsup
good choice! i love mine
Old 27th September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm new to this forum... thanks Johnny for all your work -- I listened to all the samples and the Peluso brings out that warm tubey gritty sound in your voice on certain vowels. Good stuff.

I just tracked drums for my new album (Abe Laboriel Jr.) and I'm getting ready to do all the overdubs at home. I have a Chandler LTD-1, Distressor and Digi002. I currently have a Rode NT2 for vocals and 451 for acoustics and want something different.

I have been debating (endlessly) between:

Telefunken AK47
Peluso 2247LE
Mojave MA-200
Neumann TLM49
AKG414

I'm into Cat Stevens, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush with a rockier vibe.

If someone would sample a couple of my pre-Abe demos and tell me which mic you think would fit my voice and arrangement style, that would be awesome.

KIRK ROSS :: HOME

Ps - if AK really stands for Alicia Keys, I may nix that from the list on that alone. Nothing against Alicia Keys, but I don't like the concept of signature models of anything, for the built-in "shadow factor".
Old 3rd October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkbross ➑️
Ps - if AK really stands for Alicia Keys, I may nix that from the list on that alone. Nothing against Alicia Keys, but I don't like the concept of signature models of anything, for the built-in "shadow factor".
Well, originally there was talk about it being the "Alicia Keys" model, but it never actually amounted to anything. The mic itself doesn't have her name or signature on it or anything like that. I guess you could say that the inspiration for the name came from her, but no it's not her signature series microphone.
Old 17th October 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
what was the issue with the original peluso 22 251 you had? how did the replacement differ? Thanks...
Old 18th October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While I'm not going to claim much personal experience with the Sputnik (though I've seen many documentaries on the satellite ), I know of one studio owner in NYC who is doing some pretty big ADR work for Cartoon Network, Nickelodean, etc. and swears by them.

For the $ I thought it was okay, but didn't really wow me too much.

//that's why this is as much art as science.
Old 18th October 2007 | Show parent
lwr
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
david at m-audio was very kind to send a sputnik down to my studio and to be honest, i wasnt expecting it to be as good as it is.

i really like it on a lot of things. i get a lot of luck with it through an API pre. sounds nice !
Old 23rd October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➑️
You misunderstand me.

I have only used the short body. It sounded NOTHING like the clip above of the LE. It's much more midrangey. Totally different sound.
Popmann, I don't know what you were hearing with my 22 47 but midrangey isn't it. I think you have read too many reviews about the newer 22 47 which uses a 6072 (mince has the AC701 tube) and is more midrangey and didn't listen. Mine has a slight mid dip (heard by me and shown in the graph) and a rise in the upper end. Basically, it has a plot much more similar to a U47 then the newer 22 47, which are nothing like it IMO. One thing my mic is not and that is midrangey. Whether or not you like it is up to you.

That said, it is certainly not as alive as the LE, which is why the short body was recommended for me by Dot. However, it was the clear winner in this shootout. It was very big and open sounding. Just fantastic.

The Sputnik came in second.

The rest you could keep........I wouldn't want any of them.
I'd just as soon use an MXL V63m................
Old 25th October 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSR74 ➑️
what was the issue with the original peluso 22 251 you had? how did the replacement differ? Thanks...
Turns out I had noise on my AC line and the Peluso 251 picked it up. I have put my studio on a dedicated circuit and all's well now. I ended up with the 2247 LE and it's really a sweet mic. No complaints at all.

jb
Old 26th November 2007 | Show parent
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by woomanmoomin ➑️
I WANT ALL MICS.
+1
[email protected]
Old 28th November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
What mostly everyone listening to these clips seem IMHO fail to realize is that the Sputnik is a "cross" between the U47 sound and a C12 sound or the best sounding attributes of both of those mics. Put in this regard and context, the Sputnik achieves that goal.

Those mics are different in their own right, side-by-side and I'd have to say for the price the Sputnik is an incredible sounding microphone and more than admirable sounding on a lot of sources.

Thinking of the difference between the two replica's it's trying to duplicate, I think it achieves it's intended sound, the closest I could think of if I would cross a U47 and C12 is a U67.

Remove the $$ factor of the costs of the other mics compared to the Sputnik and it's an excellent choice and holds up extremely well to the others that were in the shoot-out.

For what it's worth... again just another opinion.

Mickey
Old 13th September 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years

Number 3 is the take. I guess thats the sputnik. Personally, I don't care which mic it is. That's THE one for your voice. Far and away, better than the other takes.
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I know this thread is ancient history now, but had to register at Gearslutz just so I could say "thanks." A ton of information here. FWIW, I agree that the Peluso is the winner if money is no object. In my case, though... Sputnik. Just found one on eBay for $450 and snapped it up. I think the Peluso is warmer, and the Sputnik crisper -- I'm hoping the Sputnik's high end can be tamed with a bit of EQ.

I also spent a little time researching the Avant CV-12. Another high quality mike for the $$, but if anything it's even brighter than the Sputnik. I found it to be a good choice for female vocals but the Sputnik seems a better all-around choice.

And, once I win the lottery, I'll pick up the Peluso. heh
Old 24th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cool test,

Very hard to pick a clear winner. It is great to hear that the Sputnik holds up so well to the competition. It has always been on my list of possible mics to buy. I've got a Solaris (basically non tube version) and it isn't too bad. Not as bright and sibilant as some of the chinese mics. Too bad it broke as has been returned for warranty repair! That is my only issue with m-audio. Of the three m-audio products I've owned two have stopped working within 6 months requiring a return for repair. Maybe I've just been unlucky though!
Old 27th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Sputnik & The AK47 would do best here in the context of a full band mix IMHO. The Peluso indeed sounds wonderful but truly robust... with a few tweaks on the recorded vocal, wouldn't be a problem in a dense mix (duh!).

However...the Sputnik & AK47 sound right...right out of the gate!

More over, I feel the Sputnik beats the AK47 by a tad!
Old 31st May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I like the Sputnik the best, then the peluso. Sputnik sounds very intimate on your voice.
Old 20th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
To bring this old thread back up....after 2 years I listened again. And what happens? Today I come to different conclusions as back then. I still like the Peluso a lot but my former dislike for the AK47 is gone, actually I like it equally well or even better than the Peluso (note that I am not a huge fanboi of TFUSA). The biggest difference is that when comparing the two is that the Peluso has more bottom or proximity effect which makes it sound "bigger" - but I was able to dial it in with a simple eq move on the AK47 file. What remained different (and impossible for me to eq) is the midrange. On the Peluso it sounds a little scooped whereas on the AK47 it sounds so present and in your face and at the same time natural...itΒ΄s a sound in the midrange that I never hear from modern condensers, it stands out because of this.

btw I really do not like the SputnikΒ΄s sound in these clips. DonΒ΄t you guys think it is very midrangey in an unnatural way? Yes, it will make the vocal stand out a lot, but not in a way that sounds good to me.

Anyways, just an observation how taste and preferences can vary over the years.

Rock on!
Pat
πŸ“ Reply