The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Warm Audio WA-87 vs Neumann U87 at ZenPro Audio
Old 6th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Sorry for my delay here, but yes it does! It has been very well received for sure.

War
Any plans for a mod for the WA47?
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
Any plans for a mod for the WA47?

i have some thoughts...
Old 2nd August 2018
Here for the gear

Warm Audio WA-87 mic's have bad RF Rejection. I have strong Radio Frequency signal's in my home studio. I had to even change all my XLR cable's twice, I am near an airport and see some funky roof towers a couple blocks down. I found the WA-87 is a great antenna in my room. I thought It was the mic and took it back to the store and swapped it for another WA-87. I'm sad to say both WA-87'S mic's revealed bad shielding inside the mic or the combination between my 50foot foil shielded snake and the mic shielding. I also ran the mic with out the snake and the mic was fine and sounded good. Unfortunately my snake is buried in the wall and don't want to change it for just one mic in compared to all the other mic's I've used. I tried Neumann U87, KM 184's, Shure KSM 137's, 421's, RE-20, Apex 460's, Karma SDC, 57's, Apex modded ribbon, SM7b and all these mics have better RF rejection in my space then the WA-87.
Old 5th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage View Post
Warm Audio WA-87 mic's have bad RF Rejection. I have strong Radio Frequency signal's in my home studio. I had to even change all my XLR cable's twice, I am near an airport and see some funky roof towers a couple blocks down. I found the WA-87 is a great antenna in my room. I thought It was the mic and took it back to the store and swapped it for another WA-87. I'm sad to say both WA-87'S mic's revealed bad shielding inside the mic or the combination between my 50foot foil shielded snake and the mic shielding. I also ran the mic with out the snake and the mic was fine and sounded good. Unfortunately my snake is buried in the wall and don't want to change it for just one mic in compared to all the other mic's I've used. I tried Neumann U87, KM 184's, Shure KSM 137's, 421's, RE-20, Apex 460's, Karma SDC, 57's, Apex modded ribbon, SM7b and all these mics have better RF rejection in my space then the WA-87.
you're right, as I recall correctly. It's been a couple years since I was there and was looking at the problem; but I recall having a few walk in customers with the issue. I tried a couple experiments, including a dual-faraday shielded version of the output transformer as used by some of our competition, but it didn't help. I also tried some alternatives to the polystyrene capacitor with a high end silver mica and it didn't resolve that either, though it did add some interesting tonal textures. what did help as I recall was to use a very high quality double shielded XLR cable and a good quality mic pre, with the cable being as short a length as possible and no snakes or other interconnects inbetween. I realize that's not practical for some; but it did help alot. For those who are close to an airport or broadcast station, it's probably not going to be sufficient; but in general use it is.
Old 5th August 2018
Here for the gear

I used a 5024 Neve mic pre amp, no dont think it was the pre amp, and if you read my post, it reads, I had to change my xlr cable twice" to quad core double braided shielded xlr cable. Consideration's/inspection of all gear/cable's where made before returning mic and before posting was made. Please read in between the line's.
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Maniac

wondering is it possible to mod the output transformer yourself ? is it hard to replace ?
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4zhz View Post
wondering is it possible to mod the output transformer yourself ? is it hard to replace ?
Fiddling with transformer and XLR connector wires can be a bit fiddly...but sure, it's possible, with the right technique.
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear
WA-87

Looks like a U87 but it sure does not sound like one. But then again, you realy knew that. You can't fake high end expensive mics.
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
WA-87

Looks like a U87 but it sure does not sound like one. But then again, you realy knew that. You can't fake high end expensive mics.
It doesn't, but it does sound OK. very vanilla but very useful for the home studio. I recall at the time being aware that it didn't really match the 87 signature as far as the bottom end, warmth, and how the top end sort of sizzles, etc.; but I think the customer base it was aimed toward was more interested in just having a very useful mic and didn't likely have a vintage 87 on hand for reference.

I don't know if I agree that it 'can't be done', because I've done it several times. I've hand made 87's for a number of clients that match the original schematic more closely with the correct transisitor and components, and is manually biased. It gets fairly close. And there are excellent American make K67 capsules now available thanks to Eric Heiserman, and excellent American made transformer options thanks to Cinemag and AMI.
Old 6th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
We tested the new Warm Audio WA-87 microphone vs an original Neumann U87 (not AI...) on drums, acoustic guitar, grand piano and female vocals here at ZenPro Audio. You can hear it in our Clipalator microphone folder (scroll to the Warm Audio WA-87 folder, all clips inside).

Clipalator Audio and Video for Pro Audio Gear @ ZenPro Audio

In stock and shipping!

War
This clipaltor should have an A, B, And C choice so we can scroll through mics easily.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search