The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wurlitzer Electric Piano VI/Sample-Set Shoot-Out
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear
UPDATED: Wurlitzer Electric Piano VI/Sample-Set Shoot-Out

Here's a shoot-out of the various Wurlitzer Virtual Instruments or sample sets in my possession playing some classic riffs.

What this Shoot-Out is About

I view this as being primarily for fun and curiosity's sake. It should give you a ballpark idea of how the different Wurlitzer's sound next to each other. No more, no less.

If you have something you want to add, send me a PM and I can send you the MIDI file for rendering.

How This Test Was Made

1. MIDI files/clips came from the web - I just trimmed out the main riffs and compiled them
2. I didn't go out of my way to tweak the velocities of each file to make each instrument sound it's best or anything like that - each instrument/set is playing the exact same MIDI file
3. I didn't go out of my way to make each Wurlitzer sound the same, just reasonably good (very little tweaking)
4. Level matching wouldn't be an option since each instrument sounds so different, especially considering the number of clips so I didn't try all that hard (feel free to try yourself)
5. All effects were off, all instruments set to the DI sound
6. There was an instance of Limitless set to the Transparent preset, with 16bit dither on and a ceiling of -0.3 just to avoid clipping

About The Plugins/Settings

Arturia Wurli-V: I set this one to the Dark Wurli harmonic setting (default was too bright IMO), flattened the EQ, and reduced the octave stretch setting to reduce the chorusing sound I was hearing on some clips. Other than that, this is the direct out with all other settings at default. Note: there's some kind of voice-stealing bug here so when Arturia fixes the bug, I'll try to re-render and upload a new file (if you're interested and I forgot, please PM me).

Lounge Lizard 3: This is the newest version of Lounge Lizard I have so sorry if there have been major improvements. This is the Wurlitzer 1 preset with all effects off.

Sonic Couture Broken Wurli*: Just got a preset that worked, turned off the speakers and effects.

Scarbee/Native Instruments A200*: This is from the original Scarbee version of this set from years ago. Default settings.

Hollowsun Tubelitzer*: This is my personal Wurlitzer 120 that I sampled for Hollowsun many years ago. This is NOT a 200 like the others and was included just for fun. The de-noising was fairly extreme when I edited the samples so I lost a bit of sustain, but this is basically what the instrument sounds like minus the hum from the tube amp. The variation from note to note is pretty big here, but that's to be expected as it hasn't been serviced in some time and it's something like 60 years old at this point (let's just call it character).

Acoutic Samples Wurlie**: The folks at Acoustic Samples were kind enough to do a render of their Wurlie instrument. This is the default setting with vibrato off. Added to the list!

*Sample set running off Kontakt.

**UVI based standalone instrument.
Attached Files

Arturia Wurli-V.mp3 (2.23 MB, 3985 views)

SC Broken Wurli.mp3 (2.22 MB, 4075 views)

Scarbee NI EEP.mp3 (2.21 MB, 3857 views)

Applied Acoustics LL3.mp3 (2.21 MB, 3669 views)

Hollowsun Tubelitzer 120.mp3 (2.21 MB, 3625 views)

AcousticSamplesWurlie.mp3 (2.23 MB, 3551 views)

Last edited by Funkybot; 16th June 2016 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Added the Acoustic Samples Wurlie clip to the shoot-out
Old 11th June 2016
I find the Arturia Wurli-V the worst of the bunch... It totally misses the nasal character of the Wurlitzer...
Old 13th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Very interesting. Thanks! I would say SC > Scarbee >> AA > Arturia.
Old 16th June 2016
Lives for gear
Added the Acoustic Samples Wurlie clip! Note: that one's a bit louder. Feel free to bring them all in your DAW and level match.
Old 6th October 2016
Acoustic Samples smokes them all in my opinion. Would be nice to hear how Keyscape compares.
Old 6th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
Acoustic Samples smokes them all in my opinion. Would be nice to hear how Keyscape compares.
That was my favorite too. Anyone with Keyscape want to do some renders?
Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear
I can't edit my original post to include these, but here are some Keyscape Wurlitzers that KVR Member Cinebient was kind enough to render for me. Thanks to Cinebient.

Just a personal update, I ended up buying the Acoustic Samples Wurlie based on the render provided for this thread, and it's quickly become my favorite of the bunch.
Attached Files

Wurlitzer 200A + mechanic.mp3 (1.95 MB, 2753 views)

Old 22nd December 2016
Lives for gear
And here's the 140B from Keyscape. For some reason the version with the mechanical noise won't upload, but the clean version will, so note that this 140B lacks the mechanical noises that are included in it.
Attached Files

Wurlitzer 140B.mp3 (2.00 MB, 2721 views)

Old 22nd December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Just a personal update, I ended up buying the Acoustic Samples Wurlie based on the render provided for this thread, and it's quickly become my favorite of the bunch.
Yeah I'm very happy with the AS Wurlie. Got it at a very good price along with plenty of their other plugins during the summer sale.
I have to say that the ones in Keyscape sounds great too. A lot cleaner, borderline sterile, but really good.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear
Here's the "Basic Wurl" preset from Waves 200. Sounds like an exaggerated take on a Wurlitzer to my ears with a strange attack and hyped bark.

Thanks to KVR user telmofmm for providing the render!
Attached Files

Waves200Demo.mp3 (2.04 MB, 2482 views)

Old 8th February 2017
Quote:
Here's the "Basic Wurl" preset from Waves 200. Sounds like an exaggerated take on a Wurlitzer to my ears with a strange attack and hyped bark.

Thanks to KVR user telmofmm for providing the render!
The mechanical sound has an extremely wide stereo spread which makes it sound disconnected from the instrument. Apart from that I think the Waves E 200 is capable of quite a few nice sounds. Still prefer the rawness of the AcousticSamples, but they can complement each other quite well.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower View Post
The mechanical sound has an extremely wide stereo spread which makes it sound disconnected from the instrument. Apart from that I think the Waves E 200 is capable of quite a few nice sounds. Still prefer the rawness of the AcousticSamples, but they can complement each other quite well.
Spot on, but I also hear something strange in the bark/sustain of the notes too. That might be just velocity scaling though. Even with that, I still like it way more than the Arturia version but it didn't impress me. That said, the only Wurlitzer anything I'd buy at this point is a real-deal 200A (if I could find someone to buy my 120 first).
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Head

So glad I've found this thread. Thanks Funkybot! I'm back in what used to be my studio overseas where my Wurly's been sitting here for 3 years, getting no love... Getting it shipped to LA would cost more than I can afford now, not to mention I don't even have any room for it. So I was thinking of selling it, so that it makes someone else happy, but the thought of parting with it has been depressing the hell out of me, especially since I was never able to find a virtual Wurly that sounded good enough to my ears... Until now!

The Acoustic Samples one truly is a gem. After first hearing it here I went to watch the video demo on their website and I was sold just with the default setting! I can't say I'm 100% at peace with selling this beautiful instrument but this definitely helps a lot!

Now if only I could find myself a USB keyboard that feels as nice as playing the real thing... That's another big challenge! Haha
Old 24th February 2017
Lives for gear
SC Broken Wurl sounds the best to me
Old 8th March 2018
I suggest to add a render with Pianoteq W1. While not realistic as AS Wurlie, it's a great modeled alternative for tiny memory and CPU footprint.
Can I have the MIDI file?
Pianoteq electri pianos are quite underrated IMO.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noou View Post
I suggest to add a render with Pianoteq W1. While not realistic as AS Wurlie, it's a great modeled alternative for tiny memory and CPU footprint.
Can I have the MIDI file?
Pianoteq electri pianos are quite underrated IMO.
The more the merrier. I've since purchased a 1974 Wurlitzer 200 (pre-200A) and had it restored. Love it. Still looking for the MIDI input on it though.

Please PM me your email address and I'll send it over! Thanks.
Old 8th March 2018
Quote:
The more the merrier. I've since purchased a 1974 Wurlitzer 200 (pre-200A) and had it restored. Love it. Still looking for the MIDI input on it though.

Please PM me your email address and I'll send it over! Thanks.
PM'd

I'd love to see a similar shootout focusing on Rhodes Mk1 pianos... I have the Scarbee Mk1 and Pianoteq R1
The MIDI song you've used is very tailored to Wurlitzer, and I wonder where to find something suited to Rhodes pianos.
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
PM'd

I'd love to see a similar shootout focusing on Rhodes Mk1 pianos... I have the Scarbee Mk1 and Pianoteq R1
The MIDI song you've used is very tailored to Wurlitzer, and I wonder where to find something suited to Rhodes pianos.
My approach was basically:

1. Think of iconic Wurlitzer songs - use Google for help there
2. Search for MIDI files
3. Edit the iconic riffs down to a few bars
4. Combine them into a single file for demo purposes
5. Run my different Wurlitzer VI's at stock settings through the MIDI file

Anyone could do it. If anyone wanted to do a Rhodes shoot-out, I guess the first question would be Mark 1 or Mark 2? Then suitcase or stage piano? I'd think Mark 1 Stage would be the classic.

Next question would be, what would be the classic Rhodes clips? A quick search yielded some things I recognize like... Riders on the Storm (Doors), Angela (Theme from Taxi), You are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie Wonder), Loving You (Minni Ripperton), More Than a Woman (Bee Gees), Sheep (Pink Floyd), Spain (Chic Corea) - this last one one was new to me as I'm not really a jazz guy, but cool part.

If someone wanted to do the work in getting a good set of demonstration clips together, I'd do some renders. I've got Keyscape, the original Scarbee Rhodes, Addictive Keys, an older version of Lounge Lizard, and a 76 Mark 1 stage (still can't find that MIDI in).
Old 9th March 2018
Quote:
My approach was basically:

1. Think of iconic Wurlitzer songs - use Google for help there
2. Search for MIDI files
3. Edit the iconic riffs down to a few bars
4. Combine them into a single file for demo purposes
5. Run my different Wurlitzer VI's at stock settings through the MIDI file

Anyone could do it. If anyone wanted to do a Rhodes shoot-out, I guess the first question would be Mark 1 or Mark 2? Then suitcase or stage piano? I'd think Mark 1 Stage would be the classic.

Next question would be, what would be the classic Rhodes clips? A quick search yielded some things I recognize like... Riders on the Storm (Doors), Angela (Theme from Taxi), You are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie Wonder), Loving You (Minni Ripperton), More Than a Woman (Bee Gees), Sheep (Pink Floyd), Spain (Chic Corea) - this last one one was new to me as I'm not really a jazz guy, but cool part.

If someone wanted to do the work in getting a good set of demonstration clips together, I'd do some renders. I've got Keyscape, the original Scarbee Rhodes, Addictive Keys, an older version of Lounge Lizard, and a 76 Mark 1 stage (still can't find that MIDI in).
Thanks a lot for the great advices! (BTW, I play in a Pink Floyd tribute band, and Sheep is of course a favourite of mine.)
Not sure when I'll have the time to put together that MIDI file, but it's definitely worth doing!
Old 19th March 2018
Here's a rendition using model W1 from Pianoteq 6.1.1
I took the 'W1 Roomy preset' (first in the list), removed all the effects / cab simulation and adjusted the velocity curve so it's a bit slower than linear.
Attached Files

Wurlitzer Test Pianoteq 6 W1.mp3 (3.55 MB, 1527 views)

Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie Monsta View Post
So glad I've found this thread. Thanks Funkybot! I'm back in what used to be my studio overseas where my Wurly's been sitting here for 3 years, getting no love... Getting it shipped to LA would cost more than I can afford now, not to mention I don't even have any room for it. So I was thinking of selling it, so that it makes someone else happy, but the thought of parting with it has been depressing the hell out of me, especially since I was never able to find a virtual Wurly that sounded good enough to my ears... Until now!

The Acoustic Samples one truly is a gem. After first hearing it here I went to watch the video demo on their website and I was sold just with the default setting! I can't say I'm 100% at peace with selling this beautiful instrument but this definitely helps a lot!

Now if only I could find myself a USB keyboard that feels as nice as playing the real thing... That's another big challenge! Haha
I love the Korg sv1... love it. The onboard Rhodes and Wurlitzer patches are really, really good... BUT, I almost always use the sonicouture broken Wurli and their stellar Rhodes
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a rendition using model W1 from Pianoteq 6.1.1
I took the 'W1 Roomy preset' (first in the list), removed all the effects / cab simulation and adjusted the velocity curve so it's a bit slower than linear.
This sounds quite nice on the Queen tune. Thanks for posting it!

Off to check out Pianoteq...
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Nice test.
Old 4th November 2018
Gear Nut

what about new Electric W by e-instruments, anyone tried it, can provide playing samples?

another contender would be Indiginus Wurl-E Studio.
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Nut

any new Wurlitzer VI's since? (aka bump)
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Sampleson Reed200 is yet another attempt

Reed200. Spectral Modeled Wurlitzer | Sampleson
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search