The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverb blind test Plugin vs Hardware / Altiverb Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 28th April 2016
Here for the gear

Reverb blind test Plugin vs Hardware / Altiverb

I just purchased PCM92 for 1k and I'm not really sure if it is worth the money after hearing these tracks blindly.

When i solo the reverbs, IMO PCM92 (hardware) had better resolution overall but when I hear them within the mix, all 4 reverbs sounded really good with distinct color differences.

Can you guys tell which track has PCM92 reverb?

Reverbs used (not in order)
Lexicon PCM 92, Lexicon Native Reverb Plugin H-Reverb, Altiverb

1 https://app.box.com/s/uu0j2zbn70mcpn7t2qqpqm9t5cr1xznf
2. https://app.box.com/s/bw1y2mxsjsvya4z6dhd7tadjikaxphs3
3. https://app.box.com/s/yd862c8itdwxizcehqg0djk7rlv6s064
4. https://app.box.com/s/y00qe0owgbgtvwvkwygk8470qjgbz12s
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

No, but I like the first one the most.
Old 28th April 2016
Gear Guru

are you inserting the hardware unit via the analog i/o or the AES?
Old 28th April 2016
Lives for gear

I prefer 2.
Old 28th April 2016
Gear Maniac

I liked the first one most
Old 7th May 2016
Here for the gear

I used AES I/O
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

Come on, let's have more people give the OP their preference.
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Maniac

pcm 92 is the first clip.
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

i think pcm92 is the 4th clip and altiverb (or maybe the lex native) is the 1st. then again, much to everyone's disgust I listened quickly on my laptop, will give another go at the studio later today. it seems like some just have more reverb than others. to me the difference was most evident on the vocal tail on the "lord" around 40 seconds. they all seem slightly different algorithms and settings so it's hard to judge which one is best based on what they are versus which one you just liked the settings on. in other words, i can set stock dverb to sound better than a hardware 480 if the settings on the dverb just work better taste wise for the song. but with that said, I will listen on a better playback system and re-evaluate my initial instinct.
Old 11th May 2016
Here for the gear

I've used large hall for all four. Tried to keep the settings (pre delay and reverb time) same. I had to adjust send level little bit to match the amount of reverb.

I do agree in certain way that some settings work better for certain songs but i don't know if i agree with you on your statement below. If you can make dverb sound better than 480 just by twerking settings on dverb, i don't think anyone would spend 3-4k on the hardware units...

in other words, i can set stock dverb to sound better than a hardware 480 if the settings on the dverb just work better taste wise for the song.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear

I didn't mean if you make dverb sound like a 480 algo and sound better, I just meant make the dverb sound like whatever it sounds like. not emulating anything just making it sound like what you want the reverb you want to put on XYZ sound how you want it to sound.

There are times where I need to put verb on stuff where a bricasti or my 224x doesn't work and I need to use an spx 90 or a stock reverb in logic which sounds like kind of crappy verb but cool in some instances.

I one time had the bricasti on drums (some room) because it sounded right and I was too lazy to burn it down and then switch to a plate for the lead vocal so I used waves r verb just to send a client "progress so far" listen mix with the intention of upon continuation of the mix using the bricasti on lead vox but the biggest compliment every single person noted that was involved with the project was how much everyone loved the reverb and a few of the dudes were like man must be a real plate or a lexicon but it was just the r verb haha. I ended up keeping it because it worked for the part, and just for the sake of trying I did eventually try the m7 and even though it was "better" and more convincing, the "faker" r verb medium plate just sounded more like what the emotion of the song was.

That song ended up being a hit in it's respective market and genre and got me a hefty bundle of gigs with people specifically liking how the vocals came out.
Old 4th June 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the comments. here are the list. surprisingly there are not that people including other post in other forums, were able to distinguish hardware vs the plug ins. I think definitely there are more depth in the hardware but not sure if it is worth 1k for me...

1 - hverb
2 - pcm92
3 - native
4 - altiverb
Old 21st November 2016
Hi guys I just did this altiverb vs acoustic verb test you may find useful. Altiverb is pretty spot on to my ears for most of the tests:

https://youtu.be/Ngi7ZbQerHU?list=PL...UESwJQHK5dtHs-
Old 10th February 2019
Gear Addict

92 and PCM are definitely pretty close. Both sound great. Altiverb sounds amazing.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee401 View Post
I just purchased PCM92 for 1k and I'm not really sure if it is worth the money after hearing these tracks blindly.

When i solo the reverbs, IMO PCM92 (hardware) had better resolution overall but when I hear them within the mix, all 4 reverbs sounded really good with distinct color differences.

Can you guys tell which track has PCM92 reverb?

Reverbs used (not in order)
Lexicon PCM 92, Lexicon Native Reverb Plugin H-Reverb, Altiverb

1 Box
2. Box
3. Box
4. Box
Hi!,

Thanks for this, could you share the settings used?

Daniel.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search