B
10 Votes - 29.41%
C
5 Votes - 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th April 2016
Real World Vocal Shootout

Hey All,

Had a session recently. Singer / songwriter, folk, bluegrass, blues influenced cat. Before we got down to business, we set up 3 mics and ran a quick and dirty verse / chorus with each mic, took a listen, then picked the one for the session. I call it a "real world shootout", because it's not scientific at all, just a quick and dirty go with your gut scenario like we all face on a regular basis. What would be your choice? After I get some votes, I'll name the mics.

https://soundcloud.com/jessecoutu/se...ootout/s-n94j4

Anyway, not much traction, maybe this will help. The mics, in no particular order are...

Aston Origin
BeesNeez Custom Frank
3U Audio GZ-47FET

Last edited by jcoutu1; 10th April 2016 at 10:41 PM..
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear
My Choice: A
A and C are good. B sounds like a cheap mic. It's close between B and A, but I'd give a slight edge to A - honestly I'd have to hear how it sounds in a mix to choose a winner.

Sample A has a bit of an echo to it. Its very apparent at the beginning of the clip.
Old 5th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
A and C are good. B sounds like a cheap mic. It's close between B and A, but I'd give a slight edge to A - honestly I'd have to hear how it sounds in a mix to choose a winner.

Sample A has a bit of an echo to it. Its very apparent at the beginning of the clip.
No echo, effects, or anything. If you're hearing an echo, it's either bleed from the phones or Soundcloud being wonky.
Old 5th April 2016
Gear Head

My vote goes to A at first listen I gravitated to A and C but did liked A straight away. But after a few more listens A stood out to me.

I too would have to hear it in a mix in the context of the song and sound but just based in this I go with A

I listened through my AKG 702 cans directly from my iPhone6+
Old 6th April 2016
Baz
Lives for gear

I liked A. B was least fave. It sounded really cheap as already stated.I liked C as well but the level seemed MUCH lower and it had a bit of a muted tone. Maybe you sand different on this take.
Old 6th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Without knowing how the artist sounds and how he wants to sound:
I like A and B. Both for different reasons. A sounds like its easy to work with, complete and well behaved. B adds a raspiness to the vocal wich I like too.
C sounds a bit muted and lacking in overtones, so it's not doing his voice and style a favour I think.

All 3 sound useful and none sounds cheap to me. Thanks for the clips!
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear

These are different takes? Sample A has the most proximity effect going on, so the low end sounds fuller and richer compared to the others. Sample B has slightly less proximity and sample C has the least and sounds the most roomy, with less low end.

Also, I think the compressor is being hit the hardest in sample A, and the least in sample C, which I think comes back to proximity.

In a mix, you'd probably end up cutting that low end anyways, but maybe not so much for an acoustic bluegrass type thing. Sample B has the most air, quite a boost in the high end. I guess it all depends on the mix to see what would fit better. I'm guessing A or B would be nice.
Old 7th April 2016
3 different takes. No compressor.
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
3 different takes. No compressor.
Wow. Soundcloud maybe?
Old 10th April 2016
The lack of traction here is mind blowing. If someone posts a what mic should I buy, they get hundreds of responses in no time. A thread comparing actual audio gets a handful of responses.

I've updated the OP with the models, maybe that'll give a bit more traction.
Old 12th April 2016
Here for the gear

ABC, in that order. A sounds full and smooth but defined. B is nice too. More present and nice mids but maybe a tiny bit thin and also some noise that rises with the amplitude of receiving signal (voice). C is ok but a bit boring and undefined.
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

My Choice: B
I liked B a lot. It doesn't sound cheap to me. It pops out and sounds 3D. A also sounds nice -- more "balanced" than B but not as exciting.

PM results?
Old 13th April 2016
Gear Nut
I choose B.

A - had not enough top end for me.
B - had a nice balance of bottom and top. Less EQ work needed in the mix - I like a vocal with plenty of air.
C - brought in too much of the room sound. It must have a wider polar pattern. It also had the least amount of top end.
Old 13th April 2016
Here for the gear
A is my choice, although there is too much proximity effect and the highs are not particularly open.
B lacks some lows and there is some distortion in the upper mids
C is very bad. Direct sound is completely muffled. A lot of ambience, but not at all openness.
Old 15th April 2016
Gear Head

Well I've bought a mic close to C, the 3U Warbler MKIID which is a step down from the 47fet.

I hope on my vocal it proves to be a good pick. Should arrive soon once it clears customs.
Old 15th April 2016
Lives for gear
Guessing B would be the Aston Origin. Because that sounds similar in character to those SE electronics mics like the 2200.
Old 15th April 2016
A sounds great, has a nice tube sag... so it's the Frank
Old 24th April 2016
Here for the gear
No new posts, maybe it is time to give results?
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Its B, A, and then C for me.
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear
Where are the results?
Old 10th May 2016
A - Aston Origin
B - BeesNeez Custom Frank
C - 3U Audio GZ-47FET

It's funny though, because the runaway here was A, while on another forum B was the clear winner. We also chose B during the session and used the Frank to track the song. I wonder how much of the voting is influenced by people seeing what other people thought and trusting their opinion. Once the song is approved, I'll try to post up a link of the final product.
Old 11th May 2016
Here for the gear
It seems that 3U Audio didn't do well in a blind test with a more expensive competition.
Old 12th May 2016
For this guys voice, the 3U didn't fair well. We did use The 3U and Aston on the acoustic track though and that came out rich and velvety.
Old 14th May 2016
Lives for gear
Quite shocking results. I wonder how the Aston would do in a blind shoot out with a u87.
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
Hey All,

Had a session recently. Singer / songwriter, folk, bluegrass, blues influenced cat. Before we got down to business, we set up 3 mics and ran a quick and dirty verse / chorus with each mic, took a listen, then picked the one for the session. I call it a "real world shootout", because it's not scientific at all, just a quick and dirty go with your gut scenario like we all face on a regular basis. What would be your choice? After I get some votes, I'll name the mics.

https://soundcloud.com/jessecoutu/se...ootout/s-n94j4

Anyway, not much traction, maybe this will help. The mics, in no particular order are...

Aston Origin
BeesNeez Custom Frank
3U Audio GZ-47FET
Thanks for the shootout!
I preferred A and C, however it definitely sounds as if he was at different distances from each mic. These are all seperate takes on each mic correct? Or the same take recorded by all three mics at the same time? I think they are three seperate takes because in C sample you can hear him inhale at the end of the take while he doesn't do this on A and B. Also you can hear either the headphone cable rubbing against his shirt or something being rustled at different times throughout each seperate take. Realize it's a "down and dirty" shootout but proximity to the mic as well as which performance was the freshest could attribute to why people think some tracks sound compressed and louder or others having too much "room". The singer also had a lot more head movement on sample C with the GZ and you can hear him pulling off the mic at points dropping out and I'm not sure if he was singing at the mic until 3 sec into the take. Might be that mic is just more sensitive then the other two, but that definitely didn't flatter his performance at all.
Old 14th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquertheblock View Post
Thanks for the shootout!
I preferred A and C, however it definitely sounds as if he was at different distances from each mic. These are all seperate takes on each mic correct? Or the same take recorded by all three mics at the same time? I think they are three seperate takes because in C sample you can hear him inhale at the end of the take while he doesn't do this on A and B. Also you can hear either the headphone cable rubbing against his shirt or something being rustled at different times throughout each seperate take. Realize it's a "down and dirty" shootout but proximity to the mic as well as which performance was the freshest could attribute to why people think some tracks sound compressed and louder or others having too much "room". The singer also had a lot more head movement on sample C with the GZ and you can hear him pulling off the mic at points dropping out and I'm not sure if he was singing at the mic until 3 sec into the take. Might be that mic is just more sensitive then the other two, but that definitely didn't flatter his performance at all.
Yeah, obviously different takes, like I said in the first post, ran a take with each mic. Obviously, the differences in takes will contribute to what people choose, but it's still beneficial, at least to me. If you don't care for my method, disregard the results, no big deal.

I ran the shootout because we were in a session and wanted to choose which we liked best to use in the song while the singer warmed up. Do you have a better method for doing this without being intrusive to the singer? When you're on the clock, you only have so much time to get setup and get things rolling. You need to make decisions based on what you have to work with as well as some intuition and run with it. This is what I had to work with, so I posted thinking it might be beneficial to others.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search