Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear

Antelope 10M / BLA Micro Clock MK3 Blind Test

24 Bit / 96k Blind Test

Three Clocks Used:
Antelope 10M/Trinity Combo
Black Lion Audio Micro Clock Mk3
Black Lion Audio Micro Clock Mk3 (XB Version)

Clocks have been randomly assigned a letter, A, B, or C

More info in the PDF included in this link:

BLIND TEST

Clock Assignments will be revealed after sufficient polling.

Rock on,

dB
Old 23rd September 2015
For me B sounds muddy and harsh in mid-highs in comparison to the others. A & C sounds quite similar, having C a more pronounced low end and extended top end. Depending on the source sometimes I prefer A ( solo instruments ) and sometimes C ( music tracks ).

Hope to get the results not too late.

ps: More info about that XB Version!
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Head

i like b & c
Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear

Let me see
Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear

I like the sound of the bass on Clock B
Clock A sounds thin
Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear

sorry to burst your bubble but this is not a professional test of the more accurate unit
a proper a/b test means you need to compare it to the analog chain,not to a diffrent version.
this is more of a,which flavour i like more test but it has nothing to do with accurate or professional
good luck anyways
Old 23rd September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelust33 View Post
sorry to burst your bubble but this is not a professional test of the more accurate unit
a proper a/b test means you need to compare it to the analog chain,not to a diffrent version.
this is more of a,which flavour i like more test but it has nothing to do with accurate or professional
good luck anyways
What the hell are you talking about?
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Nut

I am with EL_Heraldo. The Kick sounds more distinct on A and C and sounds somewhat smeared on B. Overall I like A the best.
Old 23rd September 2015
Angelust33 -- how do we do THAT? The internet only shares digital files. And we have to monitor those through the DAC of our choice. And it seems like you are assuming the original recording was done through an entirely analog chain. Not common anymore. Sure, less than scientific, but this is still still illustrative.

I am surprised at how much a ADC can affect the initial recording stage. Any jitter, phase, and reflection error can alter the sound from the get-go. In my studio, I noticed an improvement each time with two clock upgrades. Disclosure: they were both BLA...Micro to Red Sparrow.
Old 23rd September 2015
B and C both sound much better than A to me. A just doesn't have any depth in my opinion. I listened through my Mackie HR824s and also through my UE 900 IEMs. between the two I went with C but just barely.
Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear
Thumbs up

I like C the most. I also liked B.

IMO, B has more of a sweet/rich sound and C has more of a detailed sound.

"Ain't No Sunshine": C has more detailed highs -- my fave.

Piano: They're all feeling really similar on this, but I pick C because it helps brighten what I perceive to be a sort of dull piano sound.

Acoustic guitar:
- A sounds a little thin.
- B sounds richest here -- my favorite here.
- C has a lot of detail, but maybe hyped highs.

"Reorient": C is my fave here -- punchy lows while still having the nice top.

If you're into shootouts: I did my own little shootout on the zZounds blog, of the BLA Micro Clock 2 vs. the BLA Micro Clock 3, and Micro Clock 3 vs. no external clock. I used the clocks for TRACKING, and I only have one recording rig, so yeah, my shootouts here use two separate takes/performances. So that may not be particularly useful. You decide: https://blog.zzounds.com/2015/09/10/...cro-clock-mk3/
Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear

I have used the Micro Clock 2 for years and have recently upgraded to the BLA Red Sparrow.
C-sounded the very detailed and had good stereo imaging.
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Addict
I'm rolling with Clock C as my fave. It just sounds great.

If that's the BLA clock I might just try one out for myself. I used to have a MicroClock and it made a noticeable difference with the MOTU gear I was using back then.
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Head
Listened to the files loaded into Pro Tools HD Native with Apogee Symphony I/O - main out directly into JBL LSR28P monitors.
Tried with both with the LSR12P sub on and off.
Looped various sections to compare.
My unscientific ear-based conclusion (aka opinion.)
A) sounded really good, and I felt it was the best on the very first sample and a pretty close second on the others.
B) sounded thinner than the others, pretty much across the board.
C) I felt had the most depth, dimension, clarity and smoothness across all 4 audio samples. I felt that the clarity in the lower mids was what put this one over the top against A.
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Maniac
I like C myself. I like how mids in the vocal of Ain't No Sunshine sounds closer to the listener or should I say a little more forward
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Maniac

I prefer B, most musical overall texture. A and C sound similar, with A being the thinnest and C being a slightly improved version of A.
Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear

C all day!!
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

B is my favorite in this test. However, I have found that not much sounds bad at 96k. Any chance we can get 44.1 to burn onto a cd and see if there's any difference that can be heard in a car for example?
Old 23rd September 2015
Here for the gear

I like A, my setup it comes across less low midranged hyped (very subtle). My second choice is C, then third B.
Old 24th September 2015
Here for the gear

I'm listening to this test on my Sennheiser HD650s, which be are being balanced driven by a BLA modded M-Audio Profire 2626. The Profire is being clocked by a MicroClock II HotRod/Upgraded edition, running at 192. The sample are being played back on a MBP running Audivana.

My opinions are as follows:

"Ain't No Sunshine": 'C', because it has the most open, detailed sound of the group.

Piano 'B', because I felt the bottom end was more balanced then 'C', even though 'C' had a slight wider sound stage. 'A' didn't seem very balanced, being bit to strong in the mid range.

Acoustic guitar: 'C', because it has the most detail, and I think is tonally more consistent between the picking and strumming.

"Reorient": 'C' again is most detailed and open sound stage, though I felt the low end could have been boosted some. 'B' had a better low end balance (for the genre), though it was not as tight/defined at 'C's.*

* - Side note: I found this difference to be similar when comparing the MicroClock MKII against the MKII Upgrade on a PM5D.
Old 24th September 2015
Here for the gear

A sounds the most like tape to me. B and C sound harsh on the top end. Listening on ATC25s with sub
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

PLEASE tell me this is a joke. PLEASE tell me you're all joking.

nudge the files around. they null. they null 100%.

I appreciate BLA being honest for once because their last test was LITERALLY two different performances with different mic positions. People on Facebook were commenting - "OMG i can hear the difference over my iPhone speaker!!" The irony of course is that all BLA proved was the importance of engineering technique and not their ridiculously overpriced clock.
Old 24th September 2015
Here for the gear

clock shootout

i just love listening to clock c. hard to describe exactly what i like about it, but it's like better separation and glue at the same time.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Nut

C seems to be the clearest (those reverb tails and delays are awesome!!), with the best instrument/note separation, and the widest stereo image.

B is the worst one of the three, least defined and narrowest stereo image of the three. Reverb tails were eaten away.

A is in-between the other two, but closer to C then to B. A is well defined and with a good stereo image, and there were moments when I liked A the most because it has a stronger mono center. With C, the center appears wider (maybe because of the present reverb?), a bit more on the outsides. However C has more depth and 3D-ness. The reverb tails on A are present but not as clearly as with C. On the dry mix, I don't know if I would be able to tell C from A with the same ease.

In the end, C is the best clock IMHO.

Listening on Barefoot MicroMain 35s.

Last edited by MrBeasty; 24th September 2015 at 05:38 AM..
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Hheellooooooooo......

They're exactly the same...
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Honestly, can a moderator shut this down? This is a scam. Look at all these posters with 1-2 posts.

This company is absolutely disgusting. If there are any non BLA paid users in this thread please publicly shame this company and their fraudulent ads.

THE FILES NULL. LOOK AT THE SCREENSHOT. CASE CLOSED.
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope 10M / BLA Micro Clock MK3 Blind Test-screen-shot-2015-09-24-12.34.18-am.jpg  
Old 24th September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb10 View Post
nudge the files around. they null. they null 100%.
I'm not sure what would be accomplished by nudging the files around. I just tried inverting B and playing it back simultaneously with A, and it didn't null. (But if I play back "inverted A" with "regular A," I hear nothing. THAT's what I would call a null 100%.)

Quote:
I appreciate BLA being honest for once because their last test was LITERALLY two different performances with different mic positions.
I think you must be referring to MY test. Yes, it WAS LITERALLY two different performances/takes. Nobody was dishonest about that. My post on the zZounds Blog clearly stated that the files were two different takes. It wasn't two separate mic positions -- although the guitarist may have moved a fraction of an inch between the two takes.

I did the best I could with the gear I had available to me.

I did not have two separate identical recording rigs to split the mic lines into.

Got two ears, though.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

If two files are off in timing they won't null. They need to be sample accurate and at the exact volume. Which your files weren't (timing)

Please don't try to win this argument. You sir, are wrong. The files are identical.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Or should I post another screenshot with another bus? Perhaps 3-4? Or maybe another plugin to flip the phase?!?
Old 24th September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Thumbs up

Quote:
You sir, are wrong. The files are identical.
It would be pretty embarrassing to everyone here if it turned out these files really were "identical."

But not as embarrassing as when you called a woman "sir."
📝 Reply