The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Satson & Britson VS NLS Spike & Nevo
Old 15th August 2015
Lives for gear

Satson & Britson VS NLS Spike & Nevo

I decided to test NLS again since it looks like Waves finally fixed the Spike model / breakup issue and figured I'd do a little shootout for myself. I already know what I prefer, but decided to share the results.

Audio is from this mix off: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work...l#post11213559
Attached Files

britson.wav (9.19 MB, 2691 views)

nevo.mp3 (1.29 MB, 2863 views)

britson.mp3 (1.29 MB, 2801 views)

satson.mp3 (1.29 MB, 2733 views)

spike.mp3 (1.29 MB, 2623 views)

spike.wav (9.19 MB, 2635 views)

satson.wav (9.19 MB, 2629 views)

nevo.wav (9.19 MB, 2688 views)

Old 15th August 2015
Gear Maniac

problem with the file name ? no briston to download
Old 15th August 2015
Lives for gear

Britson wav is displaying as the first link above the top player. The mp3 links display underneath the player, so the order of the files in the player from top to bottom are:

1. Nevo
2. Britson
3. Satson
4. Spike

There's no way to change the order of the files.
Old 15th August 2015
Gear Maniac

the waves sound better? i like more 2 and 4 in this test , i know the waves overdrive more like a real thing than other console emu i tried

edit: seems all are good..sometimes i like more sonimus sometimes more waves it depends the part of the audio hehe , wich one you enjoy best?

Last edited by Synthetic Wav; 15th August 2015 at 04:03 PM..
Old 15th August 2015
Lives for gear

I prefer Britson & Satson.
Old 15th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
I prefer Britson & Satson.
Britson sound more otb than nevo to me on this test, more musical, maybe same for satson but i find spike sound is well suited for this song or maybe it's louder? it s more forward
Old 18th August 2015
Lives for gear

It is a little bit louder, yes.
Old 28th January 2016
Gear Addict

I did a definitive blind test to myself using NLS & Britson & TesslaPro (British Console model), because GUI influence and confirmation bias are such bitches. Rendered 3 files with random names I couldn't possibly remember, re-imported them as takes then made a comp that automatically alternates between them as the song is playing. I would find out the results later by looking at the file creation times in the file properties because I remember the order that I exported them in (clever huh).

I also matched the levels prior to exporting using Hornet's VU meter AUTO feature.

So, in my notes as I was listening, I had (what turned out to be) Britson down as "dynamic, full, ballsy, the console sound in my head", NLS as "weird low-end/phase?? headache inducing", and Tessla as "dark, muddy/mushy".

Very revealing, because I only just acquired NLS a couple of days ago and the novelty factor and excitement got me initially thinking that it sounded better than my trusty Britson.

I'm not yet done with the testing. Next time I'll include a completely dry take and see if I actually prefer that to everything else
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Resurrecting this thread cause I've been using Britson on 90% of my mixes for the past 6 months. And I also did a quick shoot-out between NLS, VCC, and Britson. Winner for me was Britson! The Britson Buss absolutely killed the Master VCC and Master NLS. I have to agree, Britson feels OTB.

Definitely going to pick up Satson right now!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search