The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The bold statement thread!!!!
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear
The bold statement thread!!!!

Ok. Now maybe I'm the only person that wants to start an epic thread that will last generations (in tech generations are like dog years). I wanted to start a thread where people can freely make bold statements which is primarily what occurs on gearslutz anyway. I am a novice with a dedication to the art of music. I play no instruments but I'm pretty confident in my abilities to put a decent hip hop rhyme together. My father is Sonny Rhodes to any blues fans so music is in my dna. I have embarked on the journey of trying to obtain the best or highest quality equipment within my budget. I try gear based on trends and word of mouth but keep gear ultimately based on what I hear. So allow me to introduce the 1st bold statement of this thread. I have tried several 500 series preamps and a few others including Rupert Neve Designs 5017, A Designs P1, Shadow Hills Mono Gama, Vintech 573, Hairball Audio Lola w/990 op amps, Maag Audio PreQ, La Chapell 583s, Aml ez1073 rackmount version. By far in my opinion, for recording vocals none of these can compete with the Awtac Channel Amplifier. There I said it! The Awtac Channel Amplifier is one of the best preamps available to record vocals and I'm quite sure whatever else you throw its way.

That's the first bold statement hopefully of many. YOUR TURN!!!!!!!

Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

I'm 52 and I still have my teddy bear.
Old 11th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Ok. Now maybe I'm the only person that wants to start an epic thread that will last generations (in tech generations are like dog years). I wanted to start a thread where people can freely make bold statements which is primarily what occurs on gearslutz anyway. I am a novice with a dedication to the art of music. I play no instruments but I'm pretty confident in my abilities to put a decent hip hop rhyme together. My father is Sonny Rhodes to any blues fans so music is in my dna. I have embarked on the journey of trying to obtain the best or highest quality equipment within my budget. I try gear based on trends and word of mouth but keep gear ultimately based on what I hear. So allow me to introduce the 1st bold statement of this thread. I have tried several 500 series preamps and a few others including Rupert Neve Designs 5017, A Designs P1, Shadow Hills Mono Gama, Vintech 573, Hairball Audio Lola w/990 op amps, Maag Audio PreQ, La Chapell 583s, Aml ez1073 rackmount version. By far in my opinion, for recording vocals none of these can compete with the Awtac Channel Amplifier. There I said it! The Awtac Channel Amplifier is one of the best preamps available to record vocals and I'm quite sure whatever else you throw its way.

That's the first bold statement hopefully of many. YOUR TURN!!!!!!!
Well, here's another one...

I can tell, by just looking at thee circuit boards;

That you must be right on this one !
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear
Another bold statement. ..I sold my Awtac Channel Amplifier. I guess that's how it is when you're broke and suffering from a serious case of G.A.S...to acquire an Aml ez1073. Had to scratch that itch but honestly, I will get another Awtac Channel Amp in my life eventually.
Old 11th April 2015
Less internet and more making music!
Old 11th April 2015
Tape is over. Embrace digital!
Old 11th April 2015
Gaffer tape will stick forever though !
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear
AML1073 ez is truly a very very nice preamp twenty staxx.

I just got two and they are my current faves THe eq is very handy also
I have 3124 vp28, tb12, 6176, and a 4-710 d even

These are the bomb

Most expensive per channel too but very nice

I have a couple awtac compressors inbound and want to try the channel amp too

Even more expensive lol
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

The only possible shot knob turners have at success is for their music knowledge and skill to be at least equal if not superior to their technical processing ability. The fact that most recording participants on these threads never have the opportunity to work with successful experienced producers: their critical input must come from, or at least be available, from the control room. If you have no idea how the harmonic resonance of a great acappella barbershop quartet produces magnificent sonic overtones how can you expect to be able to advise simple 1-4-5 background tracks.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

I'm 28 and have no idea how to record digitally.
Give me a tape machine and I'll get you there.
Pull up Protools and I'll freeze.
Old 11th April 2015
If you don't freeze Protools probably will ....
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
If you don't freeze Protools probably will ....
Hahaha
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Ya wanna bold statement? Here's one. A great recording comes down to basically four things: good/large tuned rooms, great mics, accurate monitoring and a highly skilled engineer (artist talent is assumed).
The rest is minor and mic pre's are probably the least important contributing factor (after converters). Once you get to the A level and B level stuff, if you can't make a great recording, it's you, not the gear so quit buying into all the marketing hype.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Addict

Websites like this will cease to exist once people "get it"
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
I play no instruments but I'm pretty confident in my abilities to put a decent hip hop rhyme together. By far in my opinion, for recording vocals none of these can compete with the Awtac Channel Amplifier. There I said it! The Awtac Channel Amplifier is one of the best preamps available to record vocals and I'm quite sure whatever else you throw its way.
When you make this statement regarding vocals, is your opinion based on recording hip hop rhymes or singing?
Old 11th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I'm 52 and I still have my teddy bear.
I'm 63 and I still have my first GF's teddy bear.
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

.... help is out there.
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

I'm a sucker for sappy movies in Technicolor like Sound of Music, Splendor in the Grass, Dr Zhivago and Written in the Wind...
Old 11th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowFarnsworth View Post
I'm 28 and have no idea how to record digitally.
Give me a tape machine and I'll get you there.
Pull up Protools and I'll freeze.
I'm 63 (see above) and got my first tape recorder in 1961, spent the 70s learning to play music and the 80s freelancing in commercial studios, I've owned 10 reel decks, 5 of them multitracks, went digital with my multi rig in 1992, built my first, 8 channel, PC-hosted DAW in 1996 and went mostly ITB around 2001/2002. I really like working digitally. (The latter, of course, is my bold statement. )
Old 11th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect1 View Post
Which means they'll go on forever... heh
Old 11th April 2015
If you're a good engineer and are recording crap, a million dollars worth of gear and a Walters-Storyk room won't save your ass. If you're recording talent, you can capture beauty with a Mackie 1604, basic PT and a few 57's in a living room. (yeah, million $ plus talent is the ideal, but nothing bold about that ).
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Addict

This is a bold statement
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
If you're a good engineer and are recording crap, a million dollars worth of gear and a Walters-Storyk room won't save your ass.
If you're a good engineer and are recording crap, and that crap goes to number one on all the worldwide charts by June, that will present you with some interesting decisions on how you, the engineer, will handle interviews when everyone comes knocking on your door.

Possible approaches for you.....

"Yes, I recorded that crap."
"No, I didn't record that crap, I was sick that day".
"Yes, I recorded that crap, but used a portastudio that day because I knew my million dollar gear wouldn't help"
"Yes, I recorded that tune and am proud to say that although I knew it was cra... um, a hit in my own head, I consider myself just lucky to have been invited to participate and look forward to working with the band on their next release".
"Yes, I recorded that crap, but I think it became a hit mostly because I tracked it at 96k"
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
You don't look old enough to be 63 !
Well I still have all my stuffed animals from the 70's . Good thing with a child on the way I wont have to spend anymoney in this dept as they can get my hand me down toys . Which includedes Space lego !

Bold statement .. hmm well tape sounds amazing ! and Bettermaker is the future .
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

I like sappy chick flicks but my wife doesn't, so I sit alone at night eating potato chips and crying in front of the TV.

But as far as gear....you only need one brand/model of mic pre to make a record.
Old 11th April 2015
Catchy songs are easy.

Catchy-but-not-annoying songs are hard. Also, they're hits.
Old 11th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect1 View Post
That will never happen because to "get it" meaning dedication and years of practice in the studio to be a great engineer and most of the new generation want instant gratification and are always on the hunt for some "snake oil" or short cut to get the desired result.

Last edited by countrymetalguy; 12th April 2015 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
You don't look old enough to be 63 !
The photo is a few years old now. And it didn't look much like me -- so I knew it was a keeper immediately. heh

Quote:
Well I still have all my stuffed animals from the 70's . Good thing with a child on the way I wont have to spend anymoney in this dept as they can get my hand me down toys . Which includedes Space lego !

Bold statement .. hmm well tape sounds amazing ! and Bettermaker is the future .
Congratulations!

Last edited by theblue1; 13th April 2015 at 10:55 PM..
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

I am in my 40's and do not yet have a Grammy.

However, I am certain I WILL acquire one.

Just as soon as I can afford a replica on ebay or come across some forgotten rock stars estate sale.
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=theblue1;10964300]The photo is a few years old now. And it didn't look much like me -- so I knew it was a keeper immediately. heh

Right on I think the fact were doing music keeps us locked into a youthful perspective . The new pic reminds me of Dave Stewart for some reason .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search