The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allowing Drugs In the Studio
Old 20th January 2015
If it is considered illegal where I am located, it doesn't come into my studio.
If it is legal, but I am not comfortable with it in my studio, it doesn't come in either.

There are lots of ways to make clients feel comfortable. Implicating yourself in illegal activities, or doing things which could affect your judgement or health are not even remotely worth it, regardless of who the client is.
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Addict

This man overdosed in a recording studio . . I don't believe any liability was put on the studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdE51v7AJM4
Old 26th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah nelson View Post
As artists many of you have run into people who use drugs/ alcohol in and out of the studio and many of you probably use drugs.
I am a drinker, 23, I do not do smoke or do other drugs but many of my friends and family do. I have a personal "vendeta" where I do not do drugs because of the loss of a family member. I do not have anything against marijuana, shrooms, thizz cocaine or any other drug for a once in a while, i just choose not to do it.
Many of my clients smoke weed openly (and probably other drugs a bit more on the down) and frankly I dont care if they roll up in my room as long as they step outside to smoke so they dont **** up my mic!
My problem is that because many new clients smoke the first things they ask when recording is if I smoke and want to blow with me. When I politely tell them no, they "back off" and this is terrible. for recording. Vibe is such a crucial issue for me in the studio-I know it makes a track better having guys comfortable and I'd rather have them have everything go there way before performing.
I was wondering if anybody has any "life advice" on how to make people more comfortable or if I should just tell people no.
Or on the flip side just smoke the blunt when people offer it and shuttup lol
/

+If anybody has any funny stories about people getting on i i always enjoy stories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE6oUc0t4o
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

I don't care what people do to prepare to be creative. I wouldn't partake in anything they offer, but I just say no thanks and leave it at that. No drinks around the console, and no smoking anything in the studio. I do have the "phone room", which is a small utility closet. Anyone is welcome to "make a phone call" whenever needed. And no, there's no phone in there.
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah nelson View Post
lolol i feel like such a weenie posting this
I'd just tell them "I don't need it. I'm high on life". No need to say "no" or whatever. Just say u need to concentrate on the buttons & stuff & u can't do it if u are stoned!
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I don't care what people do to prepare to be creative. I wouldn't partake in anything they offer, but I just say no thanks and leave it at that. No drinks around the console, and no smoking anything in the studio. I do have the "phone room", which is a small utility closet. Anyone is welcome to "make a phone call" whenever needed. And no, there's no phone in there.
Obviously the "no thanks" response is what is causing the problem.
So, he's asking for an alt.
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom View Post
If it is considered illegal where I am located, it doesn't come into my studio.
If it is legal, but I am not comfortable with it in my studio, it doesn't come in either.

There are lots of ways to make clients feel comfortable. Implicating yourself in illegal activities, or doing things which could affect your judgement or health are not even remotely worth it, regardless of who the client is.
That's pretty lame. I guess Bob Marley need not bother you.
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahRastafariMMA View Post
Obviously the "no thanks" response is what is causing the problem.
So, he's asking for an alt.
Well, I think that's a personal problem. If you don't do drugs, but are shy about declining drugs when offered, that is no ones problem but your own. If you allow drugs in the studio, but decline drugs when offered, and the client feels uncomfortable, then that is the client's problem, and he is free to find another studio where his insecurities may be more coddled.
Old 4th February 2015
NKB
Gear Nut
Quote:
Well, I think that's a personal problem. If you don't do drugs, but are shy about declining drugs when offered, that is no ones problem but your own. If you allow drugs in the studio, but decline drugs when offered, and the client feels uncomfortable, then that is the client's problem, and he is free to find another studio where his insecurities may be more coddled.
I agree.
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Smoking weed is not tantamount to "doing drugs".
Weed is NOT drugs.

My point is: he doesn't need to "decline" them. He can simply say that he is "too busy" to have THC in his brain.
Old 4th February 2015
NKB
Gear Nut
Quote:
Weed is NOT drugs.
The US Federal Government would beg to differ.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd much rather be around chronic weed smokers than chronic alcoholics.
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKB View Post
The US Federal Government would beg to differ.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd much rather be around chronic weed smokers than chronic alcoholics.
It's literally not a drug tho, since weed doesn't affect the body. Physiologically, Cannabis causes no change to the body, ergo it's not a drug.

It's Spiritual.
Old 6th February 2015
Quote:
That's pretty lame. I guess Bob Marley need not bother you.

Consider that while you may find that to be lame, there are MORE people who consider use of drugs in the studio (or simply drug use in general) to be lame. I consider it unprofessional, and having association with that would actually HURT my business reputation, not help it.

You are entitled to run your studio however you want, and if drugs are OK with you, then that's your choice. I don't know of any successful commercial businesses that would be tolerant of drug use on the job, but hey, what do they know, right?
Old 6th February 2015
Quote:
weed doesn't affect the body.

The entire health science community would disagree.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:

Consider that while you may find that to be lame, there are MORE people who consider use of drugs in the studio (or simply drug use in general) to be lame. I consider it unprofessional, and having association with that would actually HURT my business reputation, not help it.

You are entitled to run your studio however you want, and if drugs are OK with you, then that's your choice. I don't know of any successful commercial businesses that would be tolerant of drug use on the job, but hey, what do they know, right?
Even more lame. I guess u don't care about Art. Drugs are required for Art.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:

The entire health science community would disagree.
Then they are ignorant. Cannabis NOT a narcotic.
Old 6th February 2015
Quote:
Ok, you are obviously trolling. Disappointed in myself that I fell for it.

C ya
Old 1st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
You can allow drugs if you want to loose everything. A guy in the Twin Cities a few years back had cops come storming in his studio where clients had drugs in their possession. The cops proceeded to rip out gear, take mics, anything they could get loose easily and carted it away. All legal for them to do under draconian drug war laws still on the books. They can "presume" the studio gear was acquired from drug money. They don't have to prove that either. Oh, and if anyone has any cash in their pockets or in the studio anywhere, they can and probably will take that as well.
That is a thing. Police departments have become more revenue-centered than before. If that means helping themselves to all your gear, they will help themselves to all your gear.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Maniac

I tell em "My ears get funny if I'm stoned"

And I'm not lying haha. Never again will I try to mix a song while high.

Recording my own music is a different story.

Sometimes I'll smoke just to have a different perspective on a song.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's literally not a drug tho, since weed doesn't affect the body. Physiologically, Cannabis causes no change to the body, ergo it's not a drug.

It's Spiritual.
No changes to the body? Come on dude. Everything u put in your body has an effect on it.
Old 3rd March 2015
NKB
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedbyjoshua View Post
No changes to the body? Come on dude. Everything u put in your body has an effect on it.
Don't poke the troll.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think drugs in studio is a bad form, besides it can transform into addiction. I've read lots of articles like this https://addictionresource.com/drugs/cocaine/ and honestly, no thanks. I wonder what's going on in heads of people who are taking drugs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I don't allow
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoqueen View Post
I think drugs in studio is a bad form, besides it can transform into addiction.
If you have clients in your studio long enough to get addicted you must be making a killing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just allow the use of coffeine, nicotine, occassionally weed and sometimes acohol in my literal bedroom studio.
For smoking you have to go next door to the kitchen though.
These are the rules, but since its only me there its easy to break them.

Drugs are not essential for my music though. I just dose them so that I am not distracted by withdrawal.
Which means mostly water and a vaping break from time to time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Sorry that's bull****, I had a female vocalist in here last night, she started drinking wine and then pulled a flask out of her purse with whisky, The first couple of takes were semi useful but one change we needed sho couldn't get, why because she was hammered.
If you get very nervous when recording and just need to take the edge off OK, but this idea that being high makes for better art is goofy. And in my 35+ years of engineering has never bared out to be true. People think they're doing better, that's about it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search