The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Movng forth...A New Music Distribution System
Old 10th December 2014
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post

One side won.
Because they were prepared to be illegal and exploitative.
You really can't make your point without accepting this simple fact.
Look, you could be the most innovative and wealthy restauranteur in the world if you never had to pay your suppliers. Free top class wine, free caviar, free Wagyu beef and free lobster.
How hard is that?
Now Ek has to pay his suppliers he's losing money. And again, anyone can be innovative and lose money with a failing business idea.

The music industry has always had to pay it's artists, and keep it's artist rosters more or less happy.
You're comparing illegal and exploitative against legal and contractually fair, and pretending illegal and exploitative is innovative.
Old 10th December 2014
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Cool guys....so what about ideas?!
Yeah sorry. The point above had to be made though.
Old 10th December 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The music industry has always had to pay it's artists, and keep it's artist rosters more or less happy.
You're comparing illegal and exploitative against legal and contractually fair, and pretending illegal and exploitative is innovative.
I'm simply pointing out why what happened happened. It's the current reality of why the tech industry has been leading digital distribution instead of the music industry.

It's like talking about the current situation in Iraq and then saying, "but the U.S. & Britain should never have invaded in the first place." That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that they did invade and now there are consequences to deal with as a result.
Old 10th December 2014
  #34
It's the modus operandi, not a byproduct.
This is exactly how Uber are building their business. Illegal and trashing legal cab operators.
This is why the 'tech industry' are leading digital distribution, because they operated illegally for years (even YouTube looking the other way on infringing) and they paid thousands of dollars to bloggers and lobbyists to promote the notion free information was good, not a disruptor of honest people doing a legal day of work.
Record companies pay fairly and honour contracts.
Napster paid no musician.
Old 10th December 2014
  #35
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
I'm simply pointing out why what happened happened. It's the current reality of why the tech industry has been leading digital distribution instead of the music industry.

It's like talking about the current situation in Iraq and then saying, "but the U.S. & Britain should never have invaded in the first place." That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that they did invade and now there are consequences to deal with as a result.
OT...how about taking a hike? This is not the subject of this thread.
Old 10th December 2014
  #36
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Cool guys....so what about ideas?!
As I mentioned, if you are thinking you are going to get it all hashed out on a public forum, I don't think that's right, but feel free to PM people including me re: ideas already put out there.
Old 10th December 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
It's the modus operandi, not a byproduct.
This is exactly how Uber are building their business. Illegal and trashing legal cab operators.
This is why the 'tech industry' are leading digital distribution, because they operated illegally for years (even YouTube looking the other way on infringing) and they paid thousands of dollars to bloggers and lobbyists to promote the notion free information was good, not a disruptor of honest people doing a legal day of work.
Record companies pay fairly and honour contracts.
Napster paid no musician.
Well the crazy thing is that IT actually costs a lot for any organization and a lot of companies are sold on the idea that they need computers to boost productivity (because it seems they can use less workers for more) but it was proven wrong a decade ago in research from the beginning to the late 90s tech boom. I'm actually glad there is a big boom in the tech industry now... The budgets are so big and everyone wants something technical that you can get paid 65k a year to monitor networking equipment waiting around for a switch to break or something to be upgraded (which never happens since everything is on 5 year life cycles, but if the comptroller asks you say what if it does?!?).
Old 10th December 2014
  #38
Yeah, there's millions swilling around, but no one thinks to pay the content creators. Content being the reason many people buy these products.
Old 10th December 2014
  #39
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
OT...how about taking a hike? This is not the subject of this thread.
Conversations evolve. Deal with it.
Old 10th December 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Cool guys....so what about ideas?!
Here are some general thoughts:

1) To truly start any sort of venture, you need to start with research. There are a ton of assumptions in the OP and many that I don't think are particularly realistic. You need to survey the existing landscape; for all we know there are one or more attempts to start exactly what you describe. You need to see what is already out there.

2) The focus is almost entirely on the artists and not so much on the consumers. Building a service without the consumer in mind is generally not a great idea. Ultimately you need the consumer to make this work, so you need to figure out what they want. There is always room for competition of existing services; but invariably to be successful, the new services need to do better or different than the old services. Can you build a streaming service that is better than Spotify or Pandora or Rhapsody, etc?

3) If the focus is on artist compensation, I'm not sure if inventing a new streaming service is even the approach to take. The basic idea is to increase the bargaining power of the rights holders so that they can get compensation they desire. In a way, you're almost talking a unionization approach. So perhaps the focus should be on a business administration/negotiation approach, whereby the focus is on working with artists to navigate the current digital landscape and determine how they can make optimal returns for their product?
Old 10th December 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 
boombapdame's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
Consumers seldom care about who earns what music wise. They go to thrusted sources with the right pricing. Whatever that is.
I care who earns what.
Old 10th December 2014
  #42
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
Conversations evolve. Deal with it.
Ah no, you are just sniping and making OT posts that don't deal with the main question of the OP.
Old 12th December 2014
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
But it doesn't change the current landscape.
You seem to have a special talent for not grasping someone's point.
I'll make it as simple as I can.
YOUR point was that technologists have innovated better than record companies.
My retort is that it's much easier to innovate if you innovate unethically and against the laws of the land.
You could innovate amazing vaccines more quickly and more cheaply if you were able to test on humans from day one, damn the consequences.
But you can't.
See what I mean?
I could innovate free milk tomorrow, thrill consumers and kill the dairy farm.
Too easy.
Old 13th December 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
PS can a mod edit the title to "Moving", cheers!

FIRST THINGS FIRST.



HW
Old 13th December 2014
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
I know what you are saying; I'm saying "so what?"
You can't say 'so what'. You said Parker innovated more effectively than the music industry, and I'm simply pointing out he was able to do that because he broke the law and trashed people's lives in the process. It's effective, but completely illegal and unethical. The Pirate Bay distributed digital files more effectively than the copyright owners, but all three founders are in jail, and before that, were hiding in remote parts of Laos and Thailand.

Quote:
Flashforward 15 years, and the media companies have gone from fighting the Sean Parker's and Daniel's Ek's of the world to climbing into bed with them.
Well who knows? That's you guessing. The logical conclusion is they would meet halfway. But Parker and Ek might be history in 15 years. just like MySpace - remember?

Quote:
Let's say hypothetically someone did that and came up with a cure for the Ebola virus. What do you think would happen?
Let's say the first 20 human volunteers died of some unexpected side effect within 24 hours?
Old 13th December 2014
  #46
this thread went nowhere fast.
Old 13th December 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson View Post
this thread went nowhere fast.
That was because it was about solutions, not just bitching.
Old 13th December 2014
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
That was because it was about solutions, not just bitching.
"WAS" about solutions. i'm not even sure what it's about now.
Old 13th December 2014
  #49
Solutions are hard I guess.
I didn't think the solution in post one was really achievable.
This was posted in the Spotify thread and I thought it had a lot of promise:
Quote:


Old 13th December 2014
  #50
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson View Post
"WAS" about solutions. i'm not even sure what it's about now.
It's just spilled-over bitching from the Spotify thread. Point is, when you start talking about solutions, everybody jumps ship. Everyone wants to gawk at the train wreck, but nobody wants to clean it up.
Old 13th December 2014
  #51
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Solutions are hard I guess.
I didn't think the solution in post one was really achievable.
This was posted in the Spotify thread and I thought it had a lot of promise:
Totally lost me after the first two feet of graphic.
Old 13th December 2014
  #52
Yes, it's an annoying format, but if you read it makes a lot of sense.
Old 13th December 2014
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Solutions are hard I guess.
I didn't think the solution in post one was really achievable.
This was posted in the Spotify thread and I thought it had a lot of promise:
i like that picture - it basically said everything i was thinking of doing (and typed before my stupid phone erased it). i'd also like to add to it:

make it easy to share songs from devices. it makes me go crazy thinking about how ridiculous the process is for moving files from my computer to my phone, for example.
Old 10th August 2019
  #54
Deleted 5cc75a2
Guest
old thread I know but its a great idea. so in 2019 is there anything at all like this available?

I know there are lots of (supposedly) free distribution options today, but majority are only delivering to the places I dont want to be.. and as always inevitably along the way there are still a whole host of middlemen taking % cuts not to mention the streaming companies and stores shady and ridiculous politics over control and keeping royalties as low as possible even going so far as to sue the government as well as buy some of these major distribution companies (i.e. spotify now partly owns distrokid). these companies arent about music, theyre about collecting user data, target marketing, selling ads and other affiliated products. so for somebody like me who refuses to give away my hard work and investment, support or participate in these antics and ruin whats left of the craft and industry I love and rely on to survive, to deal with any of the major streaming companies like spotify, amazon, google, apple, facebook etc and only focus on a one stop shop direct to fan market place, whats available today? ANYTHING??

and before anyone says it, no, bandcamp is out due to their high % cut and mandatory high % cut paypal business account requirement. if bandcamp were taking a much smaller % and offered other payment gateways it might be ok but that isnt the case.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump