The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has Electronic Music Lost Track Of The Future?
Old 5th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl ➑️
Ahhhhhhhh yeahhhhhh

I heard this 2 years ago and hated, now it's one of my favorite tunes, WTF. By accident or design, I find the video's afrofuturistic overtones interesting.

also how the **** does he program those snare rhythms
There's a lot of sync'd delay on those snare patterns, interesting use of the toms in there too, something that's rarely used on modern electronic music...
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Up through to the late '70s electronic musicians were a small minority of brilliant creative individuals who built their own instruments or spent fortunes on equipment esoteric and unfathomable to the rest of the population, studied how to use it and stretched the boundaries of music to places it had never been to before. Of course it sounded futurist ... it was futuristic!
When it reaches the point that any 12 year old with a laptop (or an ipad) can create 'electronic music' it is way beyond the point of having its pulse on the future.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi ➑️
Up through to the late '70s electronic musicians were a small minority of brilliant creative individuals who built their own instruments or spent fortunes on equipment esoteric and unfathomable to the rest of the population, studied how to use it and stretched the boundaries of music to places it had never been to before. Of course it sounded futurist ... it was futuristic!
When it reaches the point that any 12 year old with a laptop (or an ipad) can create 'electronic music' it is way beyond the point of having its pulse on the future.
On the flip side of that, the d.I.y. aspect has come more available because of that. It's not such a unobtainable thing anymore. At the very least that's a good thing.

I guess if that's what we have to deal with so that d.I.y. is more robust, it's worth it.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There's a ****load of dated dance music from the 80s/90s too... you guys are just listening to the wrong current stuff..
Wildfunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
There's a ****load of dated dance music from the 80s/90s too... you guys are just listening to the wrong current stuff..
Okay let's delete all our "dated" tracks from the 80's & 90's and replace them with current stuff (that will be dated in just a few days)!

Instead of this i keep on listening to my "dated" favorites and remember great nights at small/dirty/dark locations with tracks like this:

Old 5th August 2014
Deleted b788fee
More than ever, there's a dystopian, apocalyptic vision of the future ...

Which to me sounds more like tin cans being hit together to make music ...

This dark future has no electricity ...

So yeah ... "Synth sounds" would be nostalgic ...

If we did survive to reap the benefits of the next 100 years of technological advances, sampling and synthesis technology would advance to the point where they are basically indistinguishable ... (Except of course on Gearslutz ... Unless they are tricked by one of those nasty A/B comparos ... )

So again, in this advanced future, "synth sounds" would be nostalgic ...

Maybe the point is ... We are usually wrong about "the future ... "
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfunk ➑️
Okay let's delete all our "dated" tracks from the 80's & 90's and replace them with current stuff (that will be dated in just a few days)!

Instead of this i keep on listening to my "dated" favorites and remember great nights at small/dirty/dark locations with tracks like this:
looks like you totally missed my point... there was good & bad stuff back then, just like there is now.. but this thread was initially about futurism.. and how it appears to be lacking today.. what you are talking about is being nostalgic over the good old days which is actually a complete opposite subject..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➑️
There's a lot of sync'd delay on those snare patterns, interesting use of the toms in there too, something that's rarely used on modern electronic music...
I use Toms in my material frequently. I like the primal energy they throw off in contrast to the electricity of the synth sounds.

As for future motivated stuff I am writing a series of songs that each are scenes form William Gibson's novel Neuromancer. The book inspired me when I 1st read it in 88 and continues to do so.
And perhaps that is the problem the OP refers to - the future isn't inspiring anymore. It still inspires dread as some have mentioned but not a romantic inspiration as it once did. We older people grew up on Logons Run, THX 1138, 1984, Brazil, Fahrenheit 451 other cautionary tales of the future and now we face the looming specter of that as a reality. The news brings us Deep Water Horizon, the NSA, ethical debates on the use of drones in warfare, cyber terrorism and human trafficking - yay for the future!

And yet there is still plenty of future left. There isn't anything really to stop us from dreaming up a better one and writing songs about it.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ya'll get worked up over some funny stuff.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Modern electronic music just needs more arpeggios.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
And genres.
Wildfunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
but this thread was initially about futurism.. and how it appears to be lacking today.. what you are talking about is being nostalgic over the good old days which is actually a complete opposite subject
I just wanted to say: "The future was there"! But the future died around 94/95.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Electronic musicians have lost track of the future; there are, of course, exceptions, but too many artists are trying to fit in a genre or a "style"; this at the cost of genuineness. A lot of artists these days seem a bit reluctant to explore and experiment (and I don't mean experimental music or whatnot) it almost seems like there is something holding people back- something physical- Nowadays I see electronic musicians as a very retrograde group, limiting ourselves with rules and systematizing the whole thing; even Rock groups have become more forward thinking than us, and that's saying a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione ➑️
Modern electronic music just needs more arpeggios.
I concur
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➑️
Electronic musicians have lost track of the future; there are, of course, exceptions, but too many artists are trying to fit in a genre or a "style"; this at the cost of genuineness. A lot of artists these days seem a bit reluctant to explore and experiment (and I don't mean experimental music or whatnot) it almost seems like there is something holding people back- something physical- Nowadays I see electronic musicians as a very retrograde group, limiting ourselves with rules and systematizing the whole thing; even Rock groups have become more forward thinking than us, and that's saying a lot.
Genuine question, what rock groups are you thinking of?

On the one hand the future people used to dream of - space travel, flying cars, etc. - has not come to pass, but then the kinds of cheaply available technology is beyond what people imagined 30-40 years ago. The future turned out to be a lot chintzier than we imagined.

Anyway, dreaming about the future is really the ultimate nostalgia. And that includes the idea of electronic music as pure futurism.

Having said that, we also haven't had any good sci-fi movies in a long time. But in a way everything is weird enough as is.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by booksy ➑️
Genuine question, what rock groups are you thinking of?

On the one hand the future people used to dream of - space travel, flying cars, etc. - has not come to pass, but then the kinds of cheaply available technology is beyond what people imagined 30-40 years ago. The future turned out to be a lot chintzier than we imagined.

Anyway, dreaming about the future is really the ultimate nostalgia. And that includes the idea of electronic music as pure futurism.

Having said that, we also haven't had any good sci-fi movies in a long time. But in a way everything is weird enough as is.
I can't think of any rock that is doing anything forward thinking but it might be possible (in an alternate universe with a nicer future than ours). Electronic music is in danger of becoming entirely formulaic as other popular music genres have. The this drum machine + that synth = some genre plague results in much effluvium.

I think sometimes the chintzyness of our times comes from our willingness to accept cheap excuses instead of demanding the quality we deserve.
And that definitely goes for Sci-Fi movies. The horrific joke that is Ender's Game is a good example of our not demanding quality. Afer that movie I cringe at the prospects of Neuromancer or The Way The Way (Greg Bear) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia becoming movies.
But we keep drinking form the firehouse of watered down crap so sadly more of it is what the future may hold for us all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➑️
You have a very good point there. Partly I think a lot of creativity died when the big evil labels started to sue the creative sampling guys doing techno/rave/hip hop. Yes it leaned on the shoulders of all the past music but mostly as a tribute. Greediness of the big labels ruined it.

Sounds also got more refined and at the time the refined sound just sounded better for those getting bored of the basic waveforms and 707/808/909. But I still think that minimal techno was the birth of 'adult rock' in electronic music now being continued with the new deep house that unfortunately was pioneered by Basic Channel 20 years from now.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee ➑️
You have a very good point there. Partly I think a lot of creativity died when the big evil labels started to sue the creative sampling guys doing techno/rave/hip hop. Yes it leaned on the shoulders of all the past music but mostly as a tribute. Greediness of the big labels ruined it.

Sounds also got more refined and at the time the refined sound just sounded better for those getting bored of the basic waveforms and 707/808/909. But I still think that minimal techno was the birth of 'adult rock' in electronic music now being continued with the new deep house that unfortunately was pioneered by Basic Channel 20 years from now.

Ha! Minimal techno=adult rock, really funny, and I agree.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think it's died in more venues than electronic music. Dystopia is where it's at, until it actually happens...then we'll all be ****ting ourselves.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you get a chance look at these images of Omni magazine covers -- they kind of say it all.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Omni...gdii=_&imgrc=_

Some old copies from the internet archives:
https://archive.org/details/omni-magazine

Reading through some of them, the trends that they were following have already happened or are starting to happen. For instance, they said in a 1980 issue that discs will just be a transitional product until solid-state drives become widespread.

To me the future used to be:

global consciousness through LSD, meditation and imagination + the prime directive from Star Trek + PLUR = THE FUTURE

Some years ago I was reading a summary of theoretical physics and it was talking about the possibility of other dimensions and the thought that we would ultimately just put a McDonalds in the 9th dimension and use the 7th dimension for a land fill just got stuck in my head.

Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
replicating that tone you hear when tripping on DMT is moving towards the future imo...

that sound is friggin awesome like no other..!!!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Nothing says future like the sound of a S&H modulated resonant filter.....
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Does using a sample from an Assimov audio book about the year 2061 count or is that hopelessly old school?

Alistair
Old 6th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Deleted 38a4a95
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
The future is cancelled..

I find it odd that the old generation used to always complain about how devious the new generation is.. but now it's the opposite.

the future is more grim than it ever used to be, much more than in the 80ties

we have fascism back in Europe, totalitarian survaillance states, are just past peak oil and soon peak everything,
in a world that's already deliberately been set to chaos and anomy and at the brink of global all out war

and the new generation is uncreative, spoiled and brain washed, they are zombies
"hipster" is now synonymous with "not authentic" which sums it all up
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor ➑️
and the new generation is uncreative, spoiled and brain washed, they are zombies
"hipster" is now synonymous with "not authentic" which sums it all up
I agree. Although some of those zombies seem to be pretty smart when I talk with them. But they are only the 99%. (that is not per mille.)
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamprecision ➑️
There is some nice stuff in there but all the salutes, greets and other MC crap are a total vibe killer for me. And he has the audacity to say "Remember we let the music roll... we let the music breath... we let the music do the talking". No you don't. You are on a massive ego trip. STFU already!

Thank goodness for the track list.

Alistair
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well... i think were just living in a world full of con men. all selling each other things. everything gets done as cheaply as possible to sell for a higher proffit. and when real life dosen't pidgeon hole into the statistic computer there's 1 big fkup.

egyptians and the mayans built huge pyramids.... not on an xbox.
we used to play football in the street.... not on fifa.

worlds gone mad.

what that has to do with music i dunno...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➑️
There is some nice stuff in there but all the salutes, greets and other MC crap are a total vibe killer for me. And he has the audacity to say "Remember we let the music roll... we let the music breath... we let the music do the talking". No you don't. You are on a massive ego trip. STFU already!

Thank goodness for the track list.

Alistair
I think most MCs are terrible and trample all over DJ mixes most of the time, especially when they call for rewinds and such. Unfortunately it's part of the culture. But I will often opt to not see some of my favorite DJs if there are MCs on the roster. I'd rather just not go and catch a mix in my headphones free of MC **** chatting.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 ➑️
egyptians and the mayans built huge pyramids...
The Egyptians built pyramids for the edification of a single emperor (and his wife) at great cost to the lives of thousands of slaves and probably great cost to those societies in general. Mayans practised human sacrifice didn't they? No thank you to barbaric primitive cultures even if they did occasionally achieve great things in their barbarism. Nostalgia for such things stems purely from ignorance IMO.

The thing some people seem to be missing is that the constructions and achievement of the 20th/21th century are much larger, much more complex and generally much more useful than pyramids. Just take the road or rail network in Europe or any other place. Vastly more complex. Covers a vastly larger area. And vastly more useful but people are so used to them that they can't see them any more. Or how about air planes? Or cars? Or the Internet? Or satellite networks? Or how about much less tangible things like education systems? Or modern science? Or modern medicine? Etc etc etc

I think in the western world we mostly have things much better than we ever did but there is a gigantic nearly schizophrenic detachment from reality by so many. Unfortunately a vast portion of the population react to the potentially overwhelmingness of it all not by embracing the fruits of enlightenment but instead by fleeing back into the past to primitive, superstitious and magical modes of thinking.

So much that has been achieved is being destroyed by ignorance and fear. In Europe so many are being conned by the fascist populist demagogues and being anti-EU thus destroying so much that took time, energy and love to create. So many people seem to have forgotten (or never studied) history. There are so many against the achievements of modern technology and science. People are anti-vaccine, anti-GMO, anti-modern medicine in general... basically anti-knowledge, anti-science and anti-future.

People have believed the fear-mongers. The con-men. The barbarians.

I am generally positive about the future because we have most of the solutions already, we just need to apply them. The most important, now maybe more than ever, is Education, Education and Education. Unfortunately many governments are failing massively in that area and reducing investment in present and future generations. Truly short-sighted insanity.

Alistair
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…