The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do we make hiphop more profitable? Studio Headphones
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyLe ForMatz View Post
ANYWAYS...

if you wanna get PAID, stay away from Black artists...or replace your Black artists with White artists.

it might sound CRAZY or racist or whatever to say that, but look at the ******* CHARTS.
You mean the charts that show Pharrell and Rick Ross just absolutely killin' it right now?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
believe me its not just Hip-hop but also R&B with a lot of these female singers not wanting to pay and only collaborate
right.

stay away from Black music / genres / artists if you want to make money these days.

with Black people being only 13%-ish of the U.S. population, WHAT'S THE ******* POINT in catering to such a small percentage of people (relatively BROKE people at that)?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
the market for production has become overs saturated regarding Engineering (mixing, processing, editing, mastering music).
really?

i thought that was only true for RAPPING and PRODUCING?!
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claborn View Post
hiphop is the least profitable mainstream genre
...there it is...
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
...there it is...
I'd love to know the specifics of this. Is there a study or anything one of you can link to?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
I'd love to know the specifics of this. Is there a study or anything one of you can link to?
all you need to really know is that EMINEM is the best selling rapper EVER.

that says everything that you need to know.

all you need to be REAL with yourself about is WHY.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
all you need to really know is that EMINEM is the best selling rapper EVER.

that says everything that you need to know.

all you need to be REAL with yourself about is WHY.
I don't think the "why" is much of a question. Good-looking white kid, with a lot of talent and the kind of backstory that marketing execs have wet dream about, is obviously going to have broad appeal. Like someone mentioned, black folks make up <12% of the population. White folks make up about 72%. Pretty obvious a white musician is likely to have greater appeal to white folks than a black one does. And since white folks outnumber blacks 6:1, it makes sense he's gonna sell well. That goes double (or maybe even triple or more) when you consider that he launched his career at literally the exact economic height of the music industry.

Still doesn't show how or why (or if, for that matter) hip hop is the least profitable genre.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

either way, if people wanna make money in Hip-Hop / Rap / R&B, focus on White artists...as per:
Quote:
Pretty obvious a white musician is likely to have greater appeal to white folks than a black one does.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

which translates to:

MO MONEY, MO MONEY, MO
Old 17th March 2014
Unless you're one of the many, many black artists who appeal to white audiences...
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unless you're one of the many, many black artists who appeal to white audiences...
appealing is ONE THING.

but we're talking sustainable profit margins.

why have fry the small fish when you can fry the big fish?

SURE, fry them both, but don't allocate the majority of finite resources to the lesser entity...that's just bad business.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
BLACK music --- or more specifically --- Black ARTISTS / faces aren't making any money.

Black artists just get their swagger jacked by other people and those same other people run off and make MILLIONS on top of MILLIONS with stolen and repackaged swagger / style / sound.
This is getting borderline political now - I suggest if the thread is to remain open, we get off this train of thought! I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that this is not the place for the discussion a la the forum rules.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
appealing is ONE THING.

but we're talking sustainable profit margins.

why have fry the small fish when you can fry the big fish?

SURE, fry them both, but don't allocate the majority of finite resources to the lesser entity...that's just bad business.
I thought you were talking about artists getting paid. The idea of sustainable profit margins in the music industry is rarer than unicorn nuts. That's been the case since the jump, and it's only gotten worse, especially in the last ten years. This isn't a problem specific to any one race. Just like getting rich off of music isn't a phenomenon limited to one race, either.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
This is getting borderline political now - I suggest if the thread is to remain open, we get off this train of thought! I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that this is not the place for the discussion a la the forum rules.
alright.

i'll leave it alone...thanks for the warning.
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hiphop n edm "studio" is prob least expensive to start. Interface 1 mic n software for beats. I'm assuming u can't get a decent sound recording a band with 1 mic
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

some of y'all didn't hear me the first time...

1) Do more crossover styles by mixing genres and subgenres even wilder than before.
2) Stop promoting sociopaths, gangsters, crybaby complainers ("oh yeah i'm a millionaire and life is so bad for me, worship me before I treat you like crap because i'm a sociopath"), sexism, drugs, alcohol, crime, and violence... Instead promote education, individuality, social responsibility, and fights against racism and discrimination, SEVERAL KEY TIPS FROM KRS-ONE and occasionally PUBLIC ENEMY.

3) Stop conforming to each other so much.
4) Go back to what you do best... MUSIC and Rhythms!!!!!

If Hip Hop would just do these, and consider Hip Hop from a DJ instead of Rapper perspective it would experience a veritable renaissance. We don't need more words, we need more beats and funky basslines and smooth chords. Too many lyricists are egotistical.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hip Hop needs to go forward by going back to its essence which was refusing to crossover but because co-opting by corporate America happened a long time ago that's unlikely but that depends on the artist's goals as an individual.

As for promotion of base behaviors it would be wonderful if those on society's fringes didn't infringe on Hip Hop culture but the thing is Hip Hop didn't come from pristine social conditions so that's where the balance and variety from the artists, producers, etc. comes in as not an alternative but as a response to the glorification of society's ills by those from the underworld.

About conforming it is natural for people to want to conform as it says acceptance but the irony is conformity is here to stay and as long as today's consumers and artists in Hip Hop view success through the lens of biting styles resistance to conformity won't happen.

Music and rhythm are to be understood as something that is innate but has to be encouraged, nurtured and developed but not solely for the goal of making money but also for the goal of wanting to develop one's creativity.

Hip Hop needs more mature women and men who are not afraid to simultaneously discuss and counter the negative effects of the music/culture on its listeners and participants if the culture/music is to more forward and stay progressive. Prolonged adolescence may be good for corporate America's bottom line but it is bad for the music/culture as the effects aren't hard to see.
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
2) Stop promoting... snip... sexism, drugs, alcohol, crime, and violence... Instead promote education, individuality, social responsibility, and fights against racism and discrimination, SEVERAL KEY TIPS FROM KRS-ONE and occasionally PUBLIC ENEMY.
i don't agree OR disagree but the younger generation doesn't have time/attention span for these topics. i'm 27 and i notice younger people are fiends for instant gratification through technology, we had this **** when i was a teen but not to this extent.
Old 27th March 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

The two producers I know use an MPC 2000, and the other uses the crappy MPC Ren. They use that, and a cheap PC. One uses a hi-fi amp and some decent hi-fi speakers. They make a fair bit of money with just those there. Vinnie Paz uses both of them, along with others in that genre of Hip Hop. Now I can't imagine he pays top dollar for these beats, but the beats are banging. So I guess when people like Vinnie can pay them, rather than expensive engineers, I guess they will.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego View Post
i don't agree OR disagree but the younger generation doesn't have time/attention span for these topics. i'm 27 and i notice younger people are fiends for instant gratification through technology, we had this **** when i was a teen but not to this extent.
then consider parts 1 and three and four and stop cherrypicking the argument lol

peace bro. the youngsters will have better attention spans if they stay off the crack/meth/k2 pipes
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search