The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone in here Familiar with Radio Promotion?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Anyone in here Familiar with Radio Promotion?

I'm not sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move this where you see appropriate. In any case, I'm thinking about going the radio promotion route and hiring a promoter to try to set up a radio promotion campaign I'd like to do. I'm looking into a company run by Bryan Farrish. Is anyone familiar with him or has anyone ever worked with them? Another company I am looking into is Paul Loggins Promotion.

Can anyone tell me how we can verify whether a promoter is legit or not?

Jlacck
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Addict

No. You need major cash to pay off the major station owners IE. Clear Channel to get played. Hope you have about $200,000 + laying around.
Old 30th April 2014
Here for the gear

Wow. As a radio program director, let me be the first to tell you that if any radio station employee at any level demands cash to play your song, then that person has just committed a federal crime called payola. It simply doesn't happen. This is a highly regulated industry.

Second point, Clear Channel only owns about 6% of radio nationwide and they are the biggest by far.

Radio stations do not get paid to play songs. Most major labels have in-house radio promoters that call stations in their format every week trying to convince PDs and MDs to play their label's bands. They try to bribe me with things like in-studio visits from the bands and concert tickets, and that's the most they can do.

Jlacck:

If you want to be promoted to radio, and you are not part of a big label, try a company like co5music.com, they are dedicated to radio promotion.

Not sure if you are talking a music campaign or not, so if you are trying to set up a PSA campaign, try the NAB, at NAB.org, and if it's a commercial campaign, just start calling the stations you want to be on and buy the airtime.
Old 30th April 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the advice brotha
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlacck View Post
I'm not sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move this where you see appropriate. In any case, I'm thinking about going the radio promotion route and hiring a promoter to try to set up a radio promotion campaign I'd like to do. I'm looking into a company run by Bryan Farrish. Is anyone familiar with him or has anyone ever worked with them? Another company I am looking into is Paul Loggins Promotion.

Can anyone tell me how we can verify whether a promoter is legit or not?

Jlacck

With a ALL info on the Music Biz was does everyone still get it backwards. First you need to develop a fan (if your not
plugged into a major label) then you go from there. Do you think you can just pay your way on to the Radio Airways?

P. T. was right. There is a fool born every...
Old 1st May 2014
Hiring Radio Promotion costs money, depending on the genre it can be quite a lot, it's not buying your way into a career, it's advertising, in this over crowded music business it can sometimes be the only way to get attention to your product. But because of the costs and because it's harder to be taken seriously if you're an indie, it can be a very expensive, very frustrating experience. As far as there not being payola, of course it's a crime, but I bet it still happens
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Maniac

You are wasting your money. If you don't have 50k cash ready to be distributed 20k per station you might as well rob yourself, as that's all the guy your hiring would be doing. Easy licks like this make a lot of drug dealers rich...

The law says payola is illegal right? So are drugs.
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Addict

Long time ago, I interned at an indie record label that had a good one with some rap hits. Not gonna' go into details, but I know for a fact, that despite my contacting the Music Directors, it really boiled down to how much drugs, money, and women the label could send in to get their songs placed into heavy rotation. Things may have changed..Not going to say anything else on that. That label went out of business because the owners were having a dispute they could not settle.

Now, as far as my own project, I was able to get a single on 20-22 radio stations. Half were internet, and the rest were small market stations, and also a couple of BDS reporting stations that had big markets. I created an alter ego (they do not want to talk to you the artist), and I would pester the heck out of the MDs on their music days. This was back when they were accepting CDs. I called and called until they would at least give my song a listen. I, in turn, had to perform shows and do on-air interviews where I'd answer the phone line and give out promo CDs.

It took me 2 months to get those few placements, and that was while working a full time job.

What I missed out on was making sure I had my product in the stores while the song was in rotation. Everything is digital these days. Try internet radio. : ) Make up an alias and start getting in touch with MDs.
Old 1st May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by icansing4real View Post
Long time ago, Music Directors
Now they are called Program Directors.
And if you do not have major juice (e.g. a Major Record Label behind you). It is very difficult to get your record played on the radio. Most Program Directors get a play list sent down
from Corporate and they are expected to play only those songs.I'm dealing with this exact same situation right now.
Which is really frustrating...
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Maniac

I don't know what makes anyone think money is the issue here. The issue isn't money more so that the issue is regards to how to vouch for someone's credentials in the music industry or radio field.

Secondly, I'm not looking to get spends for songs, I'm looking to set up a radio interview campaign. Regardless of all of that, I'm assuming no one knows the answer to my original question. :-)
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't know what makes anyone think money is the issue here. The issue isn't money more so that the issue is regards to how to vouch for someone's credentials in the music industry or radio field.

Secondly, I'm not looking to get spends for songs, I'm looking to set up a radio interview campaign. Regardless of all of that, I'm assuming no one knows the answer to my original question. :-)
Since you think it is not about money I will speak to you in a language you understand. I personally would not deal with a 3rd party who claims they can get my music played on the radio. And after reading the voices on this thread others do concur. There is a reason why. Feel free to provide the community with
the fees these people/companies are trying to Snooker you into paying. No, I mean charge you. LOL
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraternalHouse View Post
Since you think it is not about money I will speak to you in a language you understand. I personally would not deal with a 3rd party who claims they can get my music played on the radio. And after reading the voices on this thread others do concur. There is a reason why. Feel free to provide the community with
the fees these people/companies are trying to Snooker you into paying. No, I mean charge you. LOL

I think you misinterpreted my point. I wasn't asking whether I should or shouldn't pay somebody to do a task or project/service for me. I was asking how to do you find out if someone is legitimate. Are there any resources that are available to look up a person's credentials or even validate it. Thus, the question isn't about money but about finding answers or sources that can help me "check out" a person and the service they provide.

Having said that, nobody has really answered my question except to say whether they would or wouldn't use radio promotion.
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraternalHouse View Post
Now they are called Program Directors.
And if you do not have major juice (e.g. a Major Record Label behind you). It is very difficult to get your record played on the radio. Most Program Directors get a play list sent down
from Corporate and they are expected to play only those songs.I'm dealing with this exact same situation right now.
Which is really frustrating...
LOL Well actually, they were called Program Directors. Late night posting...

Some of them do have the ability to give light rotation to a song if they feel strongly enough about it. A local radio station will be more likely to give a local artist support...Just depends.

Also some stations have that rush it or flush it deal where they allow the listeners to vote on a new track.
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

Chances are if you want to get a radio interview, you're going to have to have some spins. Otherwise, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to talk to you about your music if people won't get a chance to hear it.

I heard of Farrish. All I know is he's been around a while. Maybe try to contact some of the artists they're done campaigns for Ask for proof of those campaigns' successful track record.
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think you misinterpreted my point. I wasn't asking whether I should or shouldn't pay somebody to do a task or project/service for me. I was asking how to do you find out if someone is legitimate. Are there any resources that are available to look up a person's credentials or even validate it. Thus, the question isn't about money but about finding answers or sources that can help me "check out" a person and the service they provide.

Having said that, nobody has really answered my question except to say whether they would or wouldn't use radio promotion.
Talk to the clients they've worked with. Follow up with program directors who they claim to work with. It's pretty easy these days...Google the name of the company and scam or company name and reviews.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search