The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sick & tired of synth shortcomings !!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Bwahahaa.....shouldn't you be tending your organic vegan farm instead of being on GS?

hahahaaaaa

Last edited by dogma; 17th October 2013 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: double post - not sure why Im bothering with this d#ck anyway
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=dogma;9511350]Huh - paying the man instead of the ball eh? Im not sure what your jab at me is for - And yes I do have a veggie patch. Love that ignore button!
Old 17th October 2013
All hardware synths are riddled with shortcomings IMO. That's why I have so many and a huge mixer to use them all at once. Maintenance, dust covers, etc, it's all a part of owning gear. I can honestly say it's quite often the limitations that have forced me to be creative and find solutions to create music I like. I really enjoy listening to something I struggled to create, it's gratifying.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

You can send me all the gear you can't cope with due to these grievous oversights. I'm sure I can find a way to deal with their shortcomings. :D
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I do hate wall warts, especially the old idiotic ones that block the sockets beside them.

As for MIDI-Thru the only acceptable reason is lack of real estate. It's fine for vintage kits when you don't want to add any extra holes in your old beauty but for a new synth this should be an issue. The cost of one of those connectors is what, a buck?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I will say this. I'm much more bothered when a synth whose sound I love lack a CV in for that thing I wanna do, or its osc and filter would kill this patch if only the envs were a bit quicker. That you cannot change with a patch bay or a sowing kit.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

1. Dust covers, ie: one of those accessories that the first owner of a synth would inevitably dispose of or lose (along with the manual, box, and original power adapter/cord).

2. MIDI Thru, ie: one of those features that roughly 3/4 of the synth's owners will not be able to accurately explain (like the old game port, PS/2 ports, or RS232 ports, or parallel ports...on PC computers up until very recently), and only 1 in 25 could actually use in the real world, but already have a system of workarounds because so many synths lack it.

3. Balanced outputs, yeah okay I would like this, but I've never sat in front of a synth and thought to myself "Damn that sounds so good, but I will not buy it because the outputs are not balanced!" Buy a direct box, mount it inside the keyboard (or outside), problem solved.

4. Wall warts, the best solution I ever saw to this dilemma (its very cost effective for smaller manufacturers to use these so they can sell their products in places like the EU) was with Access, who install basically a wall wart internally on their keyboards, then put a regular IEC plug on the back so the consumer is none the wiser.

Quote:
hey does your car come with a repair kit, or a spare tire?
Both, by some definition, enough tools to change said spare tire. At least they put a printed manual in there too, which no synth makers bother with.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Dust covers are an interesting one, but I guess it has to do with reducing the number of SKUs as far as possible and not keeping stock of yet ano

ther thing.

Don't get generic covers; find companies that can make them to order. You're likely to get nicer and more uniform ones as well.

MIDI thru also means you have to write the software for it, and lots of people do have MIDI interfaces to take care of exactly that. Sorry, daisy chaining is for a dying breed, and you should have a MIDI patchbay anyway.

Wall-warts are not always bad; they take interference out of the synth itself and put it in a separate box. But yeah, that's often lowest bidder stuff.
I agree with these comments. There so many things I think need to be addressed. Sucky action and build quality for two. Aftertouch is important to me as well. I am ambivalent about about the wallwart thing.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Dust covers? Really? How long are you away from your synths that you need dust covers? Why do we need more manufactured products that companies can overcharge for? Buy a king size pillow case. Go to a fabric store (or a Wal Mart) buy a yard or two of fabric and put your scissors to work. It just needs to lay on top and drape a bit over the sides.

No MIDI thru can stink but any true Gearslut worth his or her salt would have a nice thru box.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

It's made by DeckSaver and offers protection more than merely dust, also accidental spills and scratch, etc. Agreed, they cost quite a bit but they are custom-made to fit snugly. They say they use some latest polycarbonate plastic technology, utilised in bullet-proof glass manufacture. I had them for my DJ controllers and they do hold up pretty well. Of course, you have cheaper alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Dope View Post
Even as somewhat of an Elektron fanboy I gotta call BS on their little $60 plastic shell. I got a hard case that can actually travel and hold cables and the power supply for less than they want for that little topper. I don't even want to start on the bag they sell. Ridiculous.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

I think TS is just grousing. I'm sure we all agree it is the sonic quality that matters at the end of the day. For dust covers, it would be value-add but remains a non-essential. I am not sure how many companies make it a point to include MIDI-Thru but in recent times, one in five is about right. Wait till you use Maschine MKII and Waldorf Blofeld Desktop! I get this drift that certain companies like Alesis tend to include a MIDI-Thru?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I find it interesting that people complain this is a thread of luxury/first world problems given the nature of this very site (I wonder if the same people 'congratulate' each other in the new gear threads? Not that I have a problem with that, just seems a bit ironic). For me the OP has some legitimate, albeit minor, gripes and I don't see it a problem to try and impress upon manufacturers that these considerations would be appreciated. Having said that, Moog wouldn't be able to sell a vinyl dust cover for 60 quid(!) if they simply gave one away with their 2 and a half grand synth. I mean, the very thought of doing so would be unreasonable...right?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I house my synths in kevlar for added security.

Does anyone know if the crappy power supplies diminish the quality of the analog sound?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Okay, this is going to be kind of a rant.

There are always shortcomings and that is not going to change, you just have to deal with them. Gearslutz is the most demanding community I have ever seen and the one thing many people here just doesn't understand that we are niche market. There's lots and lots of posts about new, fascinating gear but there is always a but. It always goes like this: "I would totally buy that if it came in a rack format, idiot manufacturers don't understand what market really wants!" Then they announce rack format of said synth, but there is always a but. "That interface sucks, why don't manufacturers understand that we need knobby interfaces!". "Big manufacturers should come up with new analog gear, everybody would buy that!". Then Korg comes up with MS20 Mini. "But that thing has mini keys and it doesn't sound exactly like the old one! That thing sucks!" DSI comes up with new synth that sounds great, has great interface and is very affordable. "But it doesn't come with dust cover, that thing sucks!" We are the niche market, there's no point of telling that "if Roland made exact copy of Jupiter-8 it would sell millions!", because it wouldn't. 19" 16-voice analog synth with 100 knobs, semi-modular design, balanced outputs and 5 midi ports would be great, but you it isn't something that fits to the Gearslutz favourite rant-sentence: "would be what the market really needs". And even if somebody made that, every people who said "I would totally buy that" would suddenly have some problem with it, for example "it doesn't sound EXACTLY the same as JP8", "it's the wrong colour", "somebody on the internet said it has bad SNR" or my favorite, "it costs too much". Because people tend to say things like "I want it analogue with good interface", but what they really mean is "I want it to sound exactly like Minimoog, JP8, MS20, 808, 909 and SH-101 at the same time, have 100 knobs, rack mountable with full sized keys with amazing feel and polyphonic aftertouch and also compact tabletop, internal power supply, usb-powered, full integration with DAW, 80 balanced outputs, dust cover, x0x sequencer, MPC swing and right colour scheme and all that has to be under 500$, otherwise I'm just going to stick with VSTi:s".

Point is: if you want to wait for something perfect before you buy anything, you are never going to buy a single synth. There's always shortcoming, and in my opinion, lack of dust cover might be the smallest one. If it sound great and has all the features synth-wise you want and it even has reasonable price tag, are you really going to pass the deal because of lack of the dust cover? Or lack of midi thru? You can get 4-out midi thru box for less than fifty bucks. Don't expect everything to be perfect, you have to cope with what you have available. You don't have to buy anything and that is pretty much the route to go if you expect every piece of gear you want to be perfect for you.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Of course no-one (sensible at least) is going to pass on a synth just because it doesn't have a dust cover - that would be ridiculous (plus you wouldn't end up buying anything). What I resent however is the after-sale tactic of selling one for well over the odds. The Moog Voyager cover is a great case in point. I mean, how much do they really cost to manufacture? A couple of quid? It's cynical profiteering.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I do not understand why synths designed for live usage don't come with balanced outputs. Since you can not use it without it. You will need DI box to be able to connect it. As it is for LIVE use you will have to do it every time.

I've had problems with DI's in too many gigs. I bought Behringer rack DI that has 4 DI's and it works like a clock. Only one problem: Most house engineers refuse to use it as it Behringer so i need to battle with expensive DI boxes that work or not. In live usage DI do not have to cost $500. $20 box will do just fine and for synth maker it would cost $5.

For studio synths it makes no sense as ppl would bitch of not be able to connect to their jack input. When stage synth cost $3000 why not just add the friggin' balanced outputs :D
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quru View Post
Point is: if you want to wait for something perfect before you buy anything, you are never going to buy a single synth. There's always shortcoming, and in my opinion, lack of dust cover might be the smallest one. If it sound great and has all the features synth-wise you want and it even has reasonable price tag, are you really going to pass the deal because of lack of the dust cover? Or lack of midi thru? You can get 4-out midi thru box for less than fifty bucks. Don't expect everything to be perfect, you have to cope with what you have available. You don't have to buy anything and that is pretty much the route to go if you expect every piece of gear you want to be perfect for you.

I did not say that. I said the following :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkey Donkey View Post
Of course no-one (sensible at least) is going to pass on a synth just because it doesn't have a dust cover - that would be ridiculous (plus you wouldn't end up buying anything). What I resent however is the after-sale tactic of selling one for well over the odds. The Moog Voyager cover is a great case in point. I mean, how much do they really cost to manufacture? A couple of quid? It's cynical profiteering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
I do not understand why synths designed for live usage don't come with balanced outputs. Since you can not use it without it. You will need DI box to be able to connect it. As it is for LIVE use you will have to do it every time.

I've had problems with DI's in too many gigs. I bought Behringer rack DI that has 4 DI's and it works like a clock. Only one problem: Most house engineers refuse to use it as it Behringer so i need to battle with expensive DI boxes that work or not. In live usage DI do not have to cost $500. $20 box will do just fine and for synth maker it would cost $5.

For studio synths it makes no sense as ppl would bitch of not be able to connect to their jack input. When stage synth cost $3000 why not just add the friggin' balanced outputs :D
Old 2nd November 2013
Gear Maniac

What I find more annoying than the things listed in the first post is the build quality (or should I say the lack of it) in the modern synths. It's not nice to pay for an instrument only to find out that it needs to be fixed soon.

I have a modern keyboard that was quite expensive and I feel really uncomfortable to play it because the keybed is so horrible and I am afraid it's going to get worse everytime I play it. One of it's keys have gone bad already even though it's just two years old. This synth has never been in a gig and I have treated it very gently like I do with all of the instruments I own. One made in china analog synth I just bought had a bad key straight out of the box. I actually can't say that I have played any new synths or controllers that had a keybed that felt pleasing and strong.

Then there is the problem with cheap pots, drumpads, sliders, rotary encoders and switches. Sometimes the paint finish is cheap and the connectors and pot's are not properly fastened in the case but just to the circuit board instead.

I find it strange that a 30 years old synth that I borrowed from my friend had a sliders and switches that felt like they were in better condition than the ones in the synths I bought a few weeks ago.

I wish that all the new instruments I buy were built to last. I want to enjoy using them for at least a few decades instead of possibly just a few years.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search