The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
20 Isolated vocal tracks you should hear
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

20 Isolated vocal tracks you should hear

20 isolated vocal tracks you need to hear right now

Also as a side question how do people do this and extract vocal tracks from a song? anyone got any input to point me in right direction? would love to do this to a few favourite songs of mine.

Cheers!
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I would suggest that these are the original vocal tracks, not something that has been 'exracted' from a completed mix. If you can hear some of the original track in the background, it is probably just bleed from the cans the singer was wearing while tracking the vocal part(s).
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieL0max View Post
I would suggest that these are the original vocal tracks, not something that has been 'exracted' from a completed mix. If you can hear some of the original track in the background, it is probably just bleed from the cans the singer was wearing while tracking the vocal part(s).
^ this
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I found it interesting how much reverb was in a lot of the tracks.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieL0max View Post
how would people get ahold of them?
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Think of it this way: On most recordings the vocals are at center pan. So left and right stereo channels have the same information (same amplitude) regarding the center channel (the voice). If you apply math (add, subtract, etc) you can end up with no voice – just music, or just voice no music. For example, if you take right channel, invert it and mix it with the left channel, you will end up with no center channel – no vocals, just the music. In other words, you take what is common in both channels (the center), you invert one of them so they cancel each other out when mixed and you end up with information that is not common to both channels (hard-left & hard-right). If you take that output and subtract it from the original you should get center channel only (the voice). This is very simplistic explanation, there is a lot more to it than just adding and subtracting. Technique has been around for years and it is called “Center Channel Extracting”.
BTW: it is very hard to extract or eliminate the center channel cleanly. Not every song is a good candidate for this procedure (ie. solo should be ok, but duo or more will be that much harder because the voices are not at center). Reverb in the center channel that propagates though the stereo channels will subtract from how clean the output will be.

Rob
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captshiznit View Post
how would people get ahold of them?
Probably ripped from Guitar Hero or Rock Band. The games use guitar/bass/drum/vocal stems. Most "isolated" tracks floating around out there are from these games.

Re: bleed- possibly from headphones, possibly the vocalists are tracking in the control room with monitors going. This is not uncommon. Some of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band vocal stems I've heard have other elements (guitars, synths, etc.) in there that are obviously not bleed; they only have a limited amount of tracks to work with compared to the original multitracks, so other things wind up on there.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Whitney Houston's tracks gave me goose bumps. What an incredible voice.

There is a very similar reverb delay and approach to reverb EQ on those tracks. Wonder if those are original.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

As far as where these things come from, Beach Boys routinely release "just" harmony isolation tracks. Last time I remember, they did it on one of their box sets or anniversary releases etc.

You also get this type of thing from old dvd-a releases etc. I routed all the 5.1 stems from my purchased dvd-as into the console and then into separate daw tracks. Lots of interesting stuff by Yes, Doobie Bros, Chicago, America etc that way.

I do often find weird "full session" stuff out there on the wild west web. For example, speaking of the Doobie brothers, there are lots of things such as the full "Long Train Runnin". Talk about lots of tracks. That thing must have 8 diff acoustic guitar tracks, five or six diff harmony tracks, all those congas, dual drums and what not. That song is a very good lesson on how to fill up every single frequency in the sonic spectrum and kill all air in the process.

As others mentioned, game stems are where a lot of these tracks come from as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search