The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
upc/ ean barcode Bandcamp question
Old 21st July 2013
Here for the gear

upc/ ean barcode Bandcamp question

First of all, hi everybody. A long time reader of the forum, but I tend not to have a lot to say. This place is endlessly helpful though. So thanks.

I hope this sub-forum is an acceptable place to post my question.

Here goes:

Bandcamp gives you the option of entering a UPC/ EAN barcode number when you upload an album.

Could somebody who knows, please confirm for me that the following assumption is correct:

The UPC/ EAN code you enter there is for the download only. If you have also opted to make physical merch available (CD etc.) of the same album, a different UPC/ EAN code is required, and there is no option to input this on Bandcamp.

I cannot find the answer anywhere, and I've been emailing Bancamp support for days, but there's nobody home
Any help much appreciated.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

As far as I'm aware the bar-code should definitely be the same as it's used to identify the release itself. You can (and should) also add the ISRC codes to the individual tracks on Bandcamp.

RB
Old 22nd July 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
As far as I'm aware the bar-code should definitely be the same as it's used to identify the release itself. You can (and should) also add the ISRC codes to the individual tracks on Bandcamp.

RB
Thanks for the response.

I think you might be right, but it was this that threw me off:
Barcodes for Music - CDs and DIgital.

Quote:
CDs and Digital Albums only need one UPC barcode regardless of the number of tracks on the album. If you are going to be selling both a physical CD and a digital album, you will need a different barcode for each. The purpose of the barcode is to electronically help a retailer track sales and insure that the correct price is charged for the item being sold. Since a physical CD and a digital album are two different things, they need to be tracked differently.
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Betty Boo, the two different upc's would make sense if there were two products, digital and physical that were priced differently. If you are selling them as the same price, the upc is really indicating the album as a whole itself, you can use one.
Old 22nd July 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Betty Boo, the two different upc's would make sense if there were two products, digital and physical that were priced differently. If you are selling them as the same price, the upc is really indicating the album as a whole itself, you can use one.
Thanks. Yeah that makes sense.

The only thing is the download will be one option, the cd + download will be another more expensive option.

I reckon I'll just go with the one though.
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

I have ever used a UPC-A barcode generator to generate accurate linear UPC-A, UPC-A+2, UPC-A+5 in various .NET projects. UPC-A is the standard version of Universal Product Code (UPC) barcodes that is widely used in North America, and in countries including the UK, Australia, and New Zealand for tracking trade items in stores.
Old 17th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boo View Post
The UPC/ EAN code you enter there is for the download only. If you have also opted to make physical merch available (CD etc.) of the same album, a different UPC/ EAN code is required, and there is no option to input this on Bandcamp.

I cannot find the answer anywhere, and I've been emailing Bancamp support for days, but there's nobody home
Any help much appreciated.
hello, for gearslutz fellows, as far as I am concerned, if you want to solve your problem, you may try this kind of UPC code, and you also can find inf about EAN code, for more inf, please follow the guide. hope it helps.
Old 29th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyzz View Post
hello, for gearslutz fellows, as far as I am concerned, if you want to solve your problem, you may try this kind of UPC code, and you also can find inf about EAN code, for more inf, please follow the guide. hope it helps.
Thanks for this info. But it is only barcode types introduction.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search