The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question: Rick Rubin?
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Question: Rick Rubin?

Let's hear it....

Early-year Rick Rubin, mid-year Rick Rubin, or current Rick Rubin, and why?

-- Adam Lazlo
Old 10th September 2006
Smile

i prefer the CHIANTI, myself. heh

WHY???

i donno, i s'pose it's the slightly more complex and full-bodied taste,

oh and the WONDERFUL after taste.... yes....the AFTERTASTE..mmmmm
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Reisling or Cabernet Sauvignon please...
Old 10th September 2006
Smile

buncha wise guys here, he said RICK RUBIN, not REISLING, RUBIN
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

it´s spelled "RIESLING", dudes!

ermm, what was the question again?? oh yeah rick....love the studio-scene with him on jay-Z´s "Fade to Black" DVD
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Less wine, more reuben...

Love it all. I think his ability to work with such a variety of artists, Beastie Boys, Dixie Chicks, Krishna Das, the RHCP, Johnny Cash, Jay Z, Tom Petty, etc., is an amazing feat.

His ability to avoid being pidgeon-holed is a testament to his personality and his will to keep his musical life varied at all cost.

Rick Rocks!

- p
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Love the Cash stuff sound-wise, especially American IV. Apparently, Rubin is a great fan of 1176's which I don't like at all - but I think they sound just right on that album. Never really liked the sound of his other productions, e.g. RHCP BSSM - too narrow.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLazlo View Post
Let's hear it....

-- Adam Lazlo
I am more of a current Angelina Jolie kinda guy, but to each his ownheh .

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

I love the Cash Rubin too...perfect sound and vehicle for JC's music....
Old 10th September 2006
Smile

not a big fan here.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLazlo View Post
Let's hear it....

-- Adam Lazlo
All of it. He's got a good touch. "99 problems" kicked some ass.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard View Post
I love the Cash Rubin too...perfect sound and vehicle for JC's music....
Hey T.Ray ...

I hear you - I always wondered why some radio stations over there in Nashville rejected to play the stuff because they argued it wasn't country anymore.
It still is - but it is much more than just country in my option. And that is due to RR, JC and the overall production. The sound is compressed and loud, yet not destroyed - somehow timeless.

FWIW I didn't like the sound on Mick Jagger's "Wandering Spirit" - too compressed and small. I read that Rubin isn't a gearslut in any way. Apparently, he doesn't even know how to set up an 1176 (a gearslut member who engineered some JC sessions once wrote that). He just trusts his ears and the engineers he hires.

I especially enjoyed Cash leading Tom Petty's rock band on his take of "Rusty Cage".

Also, the 3D quality of the vocals is just stunning on those recordings.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

From what I hear, RR doesnt do much other than stamp his name on the cd and reap the produer money. Ask Angus from ACDC
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Im not too familiar with much else that he does, but , yeah..the Cash stuff is timeless. That series was a perfect last bunch of recordings for Mr. Cash. (my hero!) Goes to show that Johnny could do more with a guitar and microphone than others can accomplish with their entire catalog..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVelvet View Post
Hey T.Ray ...

I hear you - I always wondered why some radio stations over there in Nashville rejected to play the stuff because they argued it wasn't country anymore.
It still is - but it is much more than just country in my option. And that is due to RR, JC and the overall production. The sound is compressed and loud, yet not destroyed - somehow timeless.

FWIW I didn't like the sound on Mick Jagger's "Wandering Spirit" - too compressed and small. I read that Rubin isn't a gearslut in any way. Apparently, he doesn't even know how to set up an 1176 (a gearslut member who engineered some JC sessions once wrote that). He just trusts his ears and the engineers he hires.

I especially enjoyed Cash leading Tom Petty's rock band on his take of "Rusty Cage".

Also, the 3D quality of the vocals is just stunning on those recordings.
Old 10th September 2006
Jai guru deva om

Any guy that can produce the Beastie Boys, Slayer and Madonna all in like a year's time gets my respect then and now. I just wish he'd get Anthony Keidis some singing lessons.

War
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

From what I hear, RR doesnt do much other than stamp his name on the cd and reap the produer money. Ask Angus from ACDC
Old 10th September 2006
Jai guru deva om

OK let me get Angus on the school boy hotline...

War
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

hahaha
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasti View Post
I agree, all of his productions are solid. even ahem...taproot. ick I said that. but its true

"99 problems" chills me to the bone and its not really my style, well the music aint', but the mix totaly is
best beat ever?
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Addict

Slipknots Vol 3 the subliminal verses was pretty kick ass. Kinda got destroyed in mastering tho.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

ive done a session with rr, and in the "angus" scenario, in my case, that was absolutely true.....as far as rr production bloodsugarsexmagic was the best sounding of all so far, but maybe that was brendan o'brien and not rr, that record was/is still so magical on many levels
Old 10th September 2006
Jai guru deva om

Well the role of a producer isn't to get in the way or change things that don't need to be changed either. Maybe your session or Angus' experience was RR just keeping things flowing but knew better than to alter much of the music.

??

Just a possibility.

War
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

I see he's producing the new U2 record.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Well the role of a producer isn't to get in the way or change things that don't need to be changed either. Maybe your session or Angus' experience was RR just keeping things flowing but knew better than to alter much of the music.

??

Just a possibility.

War

good point, and a possibility for sure....however in this case h was brought in to "ensure success" and when it didnt succeed other people went down with the ship, not his fault sure, but still......at his price.....mind you this record was decadant nightmare...
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Maniac

I missed meeting him by a day. He was working with Weezer at a buddies studio (he is the gear tech) and I only met his assistant who was running the errand of picking up the sessions. I like some of his stuff but again understand the argument that some stuff with his name on it might not always have his hands to much in it.
anyway...
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasti View Post

"99 problems" is one of the best rap songs ever IMO. That beat is sic. Long live RR.
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Nut

I have never worked with Rick, nor do I know him personally but plenty of my pals have worked with him.

Rick has been the producer on some amazing records, but he is not a musician and he is not an engineer. What I hear about him consisitantly is that his big name projects get some attention and he will be a bit involved, but if you are a second level client you will be lucky to see him durring the making of the project. I know a guy that engineered a record Rick Produced and never saw Rick in any of the tracking, but he did get a two text messages from Rick during that time.
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Maniac

I don't know how involved Rick Rubin is in the whole process, back in early DefJam Recordings to today, but the people he surrounds (trusts) himself with to do "whatever" is what i like.

I've been hired as just an engineer by producers and/or management-types and I can say I've done more work (had more influence) on those given projects but yet again I wasn't hired to be molded into THAT THING... I was hired based on he or she knew I'd be best for what the project required.

But yet again who got the REAL credit... not me... but that band knows differently.

-- Adam Lazlo

Last edited by AdamLazlo; 11th September 2006 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: addendum
Old 2nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVelvet View Post
Love the Cash stuff sound-wise, especially American IV. Apparently, Rubin is a great fan of 1176's which I don't like at all - but I think they sound just right on that album. Never really liked the sound of his other productions, e.g. RHCP BSSM - too narrow.
Does anyone know what other gear was used on the American recordings (particularly 4 & 5) - i know recording a voice like Cash's must help(!) but the intimacy of some of the performances really does reinforce that feeling of awe at the wisdom, for want of a better word, of whats being sung.

i'm always scared of bottom end on vocals cos it always seems to get woolly, but that record makes Cash sound like God!

and its bloody loud too. depressingly so in fact. I record stuff and think, that cant be too far off, then i A/B, then i go get drunk somewhere...

jon
Old 2nd January 2007
Gear Head

Rick secretly wrote, performed, engineered, mixed and mastered my record and was nice enough to give me all the credit. So I'm not sure what y'all are discussing.

No but seriously, I've heard rumors on and off the internets about his actual participation on the records he produces.

Don't tell that to the average joe though - they'll scold you for not accepting his musical genius.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search