The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Album Art Still Relevant? Eager For Your Thoughts Plugin Bundles
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Album Art Still Relevant? Eager For Your Thoughts

Ladies and Gents,

I'm currently engaged in a protracted conversation with a friend about the contemporary status of album art. Does it still matter? Does it still help, in terms of marketing a release? Are we seeing progressively more titillating art, as a means of (potentially) enhancing sales? And is this anything new?

Most of us here work exclusively in the recording process, but many of us have also worked as producers, co-writers, and "artistic-shapers" of our clients' material. As such, many of us have had input on the visual components to the recordings we render.

So I'm curious for your thoughts. Some fodder is found here: How Far Have We (Really) Come? Explicit Album Art: The Commerce, Controversy, and Compromise | Fugitive Sounds

Thanks.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

as an artist, art IS still relevant, whether you use it for album covers or not....

in the digital age either it is virtual or printed but should still be relevant to the artist to have a package that looks and feels like a real album should.

my art is available for licensing and I do album layout too

new hot pop art from Santa Fe Warhol and Banksy style western natives cowboys guitars J C Treadwell digital originals contact for licensing

shameless plugs... carry on.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

When I see something that is well designed and eye catching I'm impressed. It's just another dimension of a creative product. For me if it's kind of wild or something unusual then it's fun to look at and maybe ponder for a bit. It might be integrated differently these days given all the digital downloads, but I think that's cool. When someone hands me a cd that is white with black text it immediately makes me think it's more of a amateur production, though the music might be excellent. If I'm playing a download on my ipod and a interesting graphic pops up on the screen, I take time to check it out.
L.
Old 9th June 2013
In a world where most kids probably just download (and most of that illegally) individual tracks, I doubt it has much relevance at all, sadly. Even if there's an embedded JPEG, it's probably tiny and very low quality. And the bulk of the remainder is probably Youtube, where it's also tiny and very low quality most of the time. And, as others have pointed out, try rolling a joint on an embedded JPEG.

Yet another way in which the digital world is doing us no real favors.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

It is for Me. I still buy stuff on vinyl when possible and love good album art, and I cant imagine it going away. Even with downloaded music I think most people are at least a little interested in the artwork, but now it has to look good on an iphone instead of a nice big cardboard sleeve.
Old 9th June 2013
Gear Nut

I love an album with a theme. Some of the best albums that i love from start to finish carry a theme, through their music, art and music videos to even their live preformance.
Well most will download from itunes and miss the whole theme completly, there's nothing more satisfying then creating something you are proud of, and that should carry out right through your work from start to finish.
Most local bands i see these days wear t-shirts with bands logos and album covers.
Old 9th June 2013
Gear Maniac

even though the album age seems to have come and gone, i'd say that the visual art is second only to the musical art. When an album has an awesome cover, that image is in my head as i listen and it puts the music in context, i guess. Don't know if that makes any sense.

there's nothing like buying an LP, taking it home, turning the lights down and the blacklight on, getting your buzz of choice on, cranking it up, sitting down and looking over the artwork. Maybe i'm dork... whatever. I still say eff downloading music.
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiesarebad View Post
I still say eff downloading music.
Amen.

I will never set an ipod in front of my stereo in the "now playing" spot.
Old 9th June 2013
Dark Side of the Moon is what occurs to me. That cover image is as much a part of what the album is, and proof of that is all the kids buying the "aged" wal-mart DSOTM shirts, with just the prism image. It has almost taken on a life of it own. Name a modern album that will have that kind of VISUAL impact? (who knows, there might be one).

Digital is easier, but with simplicity always comes limiting, and with music that applies to "album art". People think "one picture and some songs, I'm an artist!!" And they might be, but it still makes for a less fulfilling experience.

I for one love album art. I'll read credits, thank you's, etc. Nowadays all that info (and MUCH more) might be on your Facebook page, but its not the same. I won't say its "sad", but kids today are getting ripped off, even with their "greater choices".

But its becoming very obvious that I'm getting old and outdated. So, no, album art doesn't matter anymore
Old 10th June 2013
Deleted 651cf92
I enjoy buying albums purely based on the cover art and the band name. I have found a couple of pleasant surprises.

In the age of digital downloads I can see it as being not as important, but if you make music for people to sit down and listen to, rather than as background noise I think it is very important. It is an area with which to engage the listener and can act as a visual aid to help put across what you are trying to express with your music.
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

I always found album art fascinating but with the modern era I am finding the album art to be only relevant when it is the cover of the album and I'm look for a song or album. I find the art immensely interesting when on the artist's web page or social media page.
Old 10th June 2013
Here for the gear

Let's do a test - does this image intrigue you enough to click on the link and hear the opening track of the album?

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-d-white/rocketship

Ryan D White | This is How We Lose Our Minds
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Addict

Not that one actually. Also - for the "sneaky" self-promo. But artwork is very important to me, and i love finding a record with beautiful artwork, and buy it without listening to a single song first. And i still think its a bit relevant for sales, although some genres less than others. To get people to click on the song in for example youtube, you only have title, cover, and number of views (to be more suggested) to make people interested.
One example for me, is the debut album of Les Discrets. Saw a picture of the cover on some thread somewhere, and bought it before listening. Beautifully drawn.

This can now be post great album covers thread
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Nut

Coheed and Cambrias lastest album, Confusing, but inticing

]
Old 17th June 2013
I would say, even if it is digital, it seems to have more sway than ever, as everything is transient image- i see across genres that a lot of music is pretty much the same, but the images that are associated with the music determine the target market...to an extent, it is pretty much what the business is about- selling an image, a style.
It seems more important than ever, in a cross-pollinated world, the inverse result is a need to classify and label with even more rigidity. It has already been stated there is "too much music"; that you have to make it as easy as you can for consumers to find what they are looking for, lest you impose on them unnecessary 'thinking for themselves'.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search