The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does your music taste reflect your personality?
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Does your music taste reflect your personality?

Or it that just over simplification?

Something for the psych majors
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

OMFG !! An epic thread is coming...
Short answer: YES
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'd say no unless you happen to be one dimensional in your character.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
I would say that musical taste is part of your personality.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Probably to some extent. My tastes in music vary wildly but I'm a pretty even tempered personality so I don't know how accurate that reflection might be.

Like, I could listen to Coltrane in the morning, Entombed during my afternoon workout and then house music all night long. What kind of personality would that make me?
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
this is good
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

for sure
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
This

Also, it is very possible to profile people based on their taste in music (amongst other things). You won't necessarily obtain 100% accurate results but you'll be close enough > 80% of the time.

Punter X listens to music type Y, therefore they are a type Z personality who typically engage in A,B,C type behaviour, have D,E,F taste etc etc.

Once you've spent enough observing and analysing what's around you you come to realise that people are very predictable and prone to being influenced and manipulated by those influences.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Check this link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7598549.stm

What a load of tosh!
Talk about pigeonholing the individual
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Addict

Certain types of music definitely coincide with my personality, but my love for playing and performing music overrides musical preferences in most cases.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yes.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Or it that just over simplification?

Something for the psych majors
Do you think people that like stupid music are stupid people?

Do you like swedish house mafia tracks?
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
i'm a musical schizo.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

dark, glitchy, broken... hmm, yes.
Old 27th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX View Post
OMFG !! An epic thread is coming...
Short answer: YES

+1

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Well, for me, it really does! I listen my own special music, therefore I am!

I wouldn't be alive talking here, without having the passion for music.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanker View Post
Check this link:
BBC NEWS | Scotland | Music tastes link to personality

What a load of tosh!
Talk about pigeonholing the individual

What an interesting study. Some unexpected results! Thanks for sharing.

I disagree that finding common lines running through groups of people pigeonhole anyone though. They're just general demographics that do no more than point to potential likelihood of personalty traits based on certain criteria. Obviously any individual is much more complex than anything that can be deduced from demographic data.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm ****ing mental and all over the place, and that's reflected in the music I write, but I quite enjoy quieter stuff like twinkly piano jazz.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Nut

seems like the people into music ready pop and hip gop tend to be really stupid and shallow ,.... brostep and nu metal are for hicks, college hicks, and mma fighters from 5 years ago.

i dont think any type of music show intelligence but a lot show stupidity....

real jazz is good but anything after the 60s is just musical masturbation, it has no heart, seems to attract people who want to look sophisticated,,,, wine and expensive coffee drinkers.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

I've often thought about this because, people always seem surprised at the type of music I play/listen to. They say things like that they didn't know I had a "dark side."

Mostly that is because they don't know me well. People that are close to me know I am full of rage at the FoxNews racist Voter-Suppression loving ****s that try all the time to hurt my fellow citizens.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollonianfacism View Post
seems like the people into music ready pop and hip gop tend to be really stupid and shallow ,.... brostep and nu metal are for hicks, college hicks, and mma fighters from 5 years ago.

i dont think any type of music show intelligence but a lot show stupidity....

real jazz is good but anything after the 60s is just musical masturbation, it has no heart, seems to attract people who want to look sophisticated,,,, wine and expensive coffee drinkers.
Attached Thumbnails
Does your music taste reflect your personality?-1321120572088.jpg  
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphs View Post
Probably to some extent. My tastes in music vary wildly but I'm a pretty even tempered personality so I don't know how accurate that reflection might be.

Like, I could listen to Coltrane in the morning, Entombed during my afternoon workout and then house music all night long. What kind of personality would that make me?
Multi-Personality-Disorder.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah don't think its that simple.

I think there a lot of factors involved/related to with the music we favor.

Take myself for an example I seem to lean on the depressive side of things
you would think I would love moody music or Gothic or some Emo or something
But nooooo
I have always liked hard fast/angry/edgy type stuff

Could it be that style of music lifts me from my moody state?

Hence why I like it?

Maybe it stimulates a part of my brain that releases endorphins or causes neurotransmitters to fire ?
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

I listen to countless different genres and sub genres.

I am often scatterbrained, and have many random ideas and thought patterns

Old 28th February 2013
Gear Nut

i dont care what anyone likes, just have thoughts on different types.... i am very judgmental.... but not very passionate about most things... but i have an opinion on everything...

you make like nu metal, but its means you are ********... or you just feel like defending ****... both pathetic positions... its trendy to be open minded to **** even when it pretty much objectively is ****... no one wants to be seen as "judgmental", mainly cause they cant think for themselves
Old 28th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
What an interesting study. Some unexpected results! Thanks for sharing.

I disagree that finding common lines running through groups of people pigeonhole anyone though. They're just general demographics that do no more than point to potential likelihood of personalty traits based on certain criteria. Obviously any individual is much more complex than anything that can be deduced from demographic data.
please don't take the BBC in general and in particular this quoted study too serious.
they still ride on their reputation of intelligent neutral journalism. of course they still do that, but they also do a lot of other things.
at the very least, watch this about the subject of marketing.
ironically also aired by the BBC.
heh

but yeah interesting subject
and no of course I disagree with the premise. it's a very mechanistic idea about what we are supposed to be. they say we're cogs in a machine, and can be regarded as machines ourselves, to be manipulated, exploited to function in the bigger machine. they divided the music into "genres". So the ppl. commenting on the belief that it's more nuanced.... no it's not. this particular study is a crapshoot IMO.
here's more about it http://www.divinecaroline.com/entert...ur-personality
Instead it's obvious (but ignored by ghastly baboons like the BBC propagandists who wrote this POS article (no offence to skanker, it's interesting to see what utter **** they dish out), that we're unique spiritual beings, that's one of our many other sides. one that can use music as communication of emotions, and shared consciousness (when listening or interacting together).
time to wake up and realise our potential, I'd say

oh as for the study itself, it's inherently flawed since there's no control group: of course adolescents who are interacting more and more adventurous than their peers who stay at home, will have a different experiences, they come across different music and therefore develop different taste. and, of course there's much more influences that shape our preferences than a percieved (but wrong) charactarisation of our personality. this study has (IMO rightfully) been chategorised as another attempt to define people in classes and adapt marketing or propaganda to these profiles. or even to single people out through the process of datamining comparing their musical taste to other information. yes, within their framework, we're machines.
For them, the correlation is enough (to successfully target a potential audience and make profit), but correlation is not causality.

ps: I might have to move this to "shoot the breeze" later
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollonianfacism View Post
i dont care what anyone likes, just have thoughts on different types.... i am very judgmental.... but not very passionate about most things... but i have an opinion on everything...

you make like nu metal, but its means you are ********... or you just feel like defending ****... both pathetic positions... its trendy to be open minded to **** even when it pretty much objectively is ****... no one wants to be seen as "judgmental", mainly cause they cant think for themselves
It's art my man. There may be music out there that I don't care for (Nu metal) but it's not about being open minded to be H!P. I just don't think you can create some universal objective guage on what "good art" is, let alone what kind of person you are by what you listen to.

There are some real assholes out there with great tastes in music and the converse is true too.

But to the OP's point, I do think you may find some personality traits based on the music they like, but I'd be hesitant to make any broad sweeping generalizations about it. Interesting concept!
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

I have no friends other than my wife who loves noggin cats and tiger army.. myself I love so many in between skinny puppy and spiritual front

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

open minded?

And I don't like country.

or western.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Maniac

I think both our musical tastes and personalities are intricately connected. One one part I feel our musical tastes help shape our personality and on another it's our personality that often reflects what we are listening to.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search