The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Choose a lifestyle?
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Nut

Choose a lifestyle?

Hey!

I read a lot of interviews with Producers lately. I just wonder about a thing:

What i read so far is that if you want to produce decent music you have to know technology (Computerstuff, acoustics etc.) or have money to pay other people to do this for you. Most producers dont talk about how the did it when they began. They dont talk about the step where they decided to live from their music, how they build up their studios etc.

Bonobo for example - in my opionion a total genius - was at the art college when he started making music. How can you study, work, and have so much time to learn how to produce music and create so many masterpieces?

When i think about this whole stuff there is something else to learn besides music theory and production: have a lifestyle where you can combine all this.at the moment want to quit my job for having more time for me and my music :D.

How do you do this? What do you think about this issue?

G

Fckthwrld
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

In the colleges round where I live music and music production are part of the arts department.
Just sayin…
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Nut

Well, okay. I live in germany, an music productoin or anything you can use for "laptop music" arent really an issue at public schools or University.
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Music is 90% business, 10% art.
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Music is 90% business, 10% art.
Same goes for any other creative art form.

Salvador Dali, David Hockney, Damien Hirst etc. all 90% businessmen and 10% artists.
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Nut

yes. maybe later on. but when theres no "product" you need no business. im really talking about starting out.
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

IME the first step is dedication, talent and mostly luck, after that you need the business acumen to exploit your lucky break.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fckthwrld View Post
What i read so far is that if you want to produce decent music you have to know technology (Computerstuff, acoustics etc.) or have money to pay other people to do this for you. Most producers dont talk about how the did it when they began. They dont talk about the step where they decided to live from their music, how they build up their studios etc.
This is a little related to the https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...-industry.html thread, though I know this is about starting out. Producers won't talk as they don't want to give the game away, but even if they did talk (and they do), there's no formula that says the same will work for you. You just have to plug away, realise when you're going up blind alleys, turn around and keep on trucking, make your own luck!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search