finally an og kept it real, respect tha god
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg View Post
thanks for posting this!
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

ehh.. the way he dresses has nothing to do with Hip-Hop.

Does he look ridiculous? HELL YES.

Does it have an adverse effect on the way people perceive Hip-Hop? PROBABLY NOT.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

haha....daps to Jamar for saying it without any regard to PC
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Being gay is not hip-hop?
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

Idk
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh4! View Post
No saying lines like..

"You look so good.. I'd suck on your daddy's dick" is Hip-Hop.
That's a old Richard Pryor joke. Not that it's right lol I felt a certain way when Big said it too but he got it from Pryor
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Addict

I could find a ton of more unintentionally gay raps but somehow they get a pass opposed as to how someone dresses.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Lmao ..... was a good lil chit chat though, as far as hearing an individual's own perspective is concerned. It's funny, I remember those earing rules back in the day.

Anyway, skinny jeans and pants have been in the rock, metal scenes forever and kilts made a resurgence in the 90s through to 00 in the alt scene.

It's nothing new.

Hip Hop has had it's fair share of wardrobe changes too, but it's the peeps from the Hilfiger, fubu and Tim's era that seem to be stuck with a big '?' hanging over their heads ... rattling off all these angry tirades because they dont understand kids these days.

I'm not without my own opinions, I think ultra saggy pants look stupid and never liked tight pants .... they must hurt your balls man.... lol but in both cases ... they are just impractical... for a number of reasons. But if that's what peeps want to wear? None my business.

I'm not looking for pictures of either of these guys, I will look out for their music though. But thats because Im older and don't idolize as much as kids. But let kids do wacky stuff and rock crazy styles, it's part of growing up... laugh about it later.

Oh yeah.... as a white guy I can assure you that his little 'makes white people more comfortable ' little spiel us simply ****ing delusional but hey, that's much more insulting to black people ... what a clown for that one.

Anyway I would be more scared of a big strong black man in that skirt they showed at the beginning .... unless he was a tranny... they're usually good value.

I can see how this clip resonates with you jpeg, Im glad you found some like minded individuals. But yea... a kilt is a kilt at the end of the day nothing to be afraid of.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Ye has said thkngs along somewhat similar lines about himself.
Not sure why anyone would find this Jamar conversation surprising.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

How dare someone ignore a subculture's dress code. Doesn't Kanye realize he's totally not keeping it real? I hope not, because if he did realize it, he'd be so embarrassed.

Please.

Fuggin' sheep.

Ignorant nonsense from a washed up has-been.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Addict

Why did Tony delete my reply though? It was perfectly valid in this conversation despite the sarcastic overtone. haha
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Head

Old school NY hiphop cats are funny these days, cuz they always seem to be mad about something new, lol. Meanwhile, back in the day, you had:

lol
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradylives View Post
Old school NY hiphop cats are funny these days, cuz they always seem to be mad about something new, lol. Meanwhile, back in the day, you had:

lol
Stop it. I seen that style over by grady. I seen Andre 10000 over there with that same yellow dirty underwear and that hat, f it, that whole outfit.

That picture cannot be real!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

This thread
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

I didn't think anything Kayne did could influence anything. Isn't he pretty much recognized as a clown?
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I didn't think anything Kayne did could influence anything. Isn't he pretty much recognized as a clown?
LOL @ diehipster.com

Someone's got waaaay too much time on his/her hands.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
lol.. trolled out
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Somebody didn't watch the video........
Old 3rd February 2013
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh, I am the right one!
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear
what Jamar said about white america being afraid of black men so they always seek to feminize them is echoed by what we see in hollywood and by what dave chapelle said on oprah

YouTube
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
what Jamar said about white america being afraid of black men so they always seek to feminize them is echoed by what we see in hollywood and by what dave chapelle said on oprah

YouTube
That's just dumb .

Have you thought that it is the entertainments industry , and as a form of publicity , outrage can be quite effective .
The fact that Lord whatnot made his vid and this (and other) thread exists proves it .
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

YouTube
Jamar is full of ****. He's a homophobic dimwit, for some reason threatened by the idea that a straight black man may choose to dress outside his culture's invented social norms (in the entertainment industry no less, which, as noted, has always been a sort of free-for-all attention grab). To suggest that femininity is inherently weak is shamefully ignorant. To blame his own sexual insecurities on some kind of racial conspiracy perpetrated by white america is downright pathetic. Jamar is little more than an insecure, racist, and sexist homophobe.
Old 4th February 2013
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post
femininity is inherently weak is shamefully ignorant.
So are u saying, femininity is inherently strong [when found in men]?
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
So are u saying, femininity is inherently strong [when found in men]?
I'm saying that any implication that femininity is weak is ****ing ********. I'm saying that claiming there's a vast conspiracy from white america to feminize black men in positions of influence is racist, conspiratorial nonsense that plays to the epidemic of misogynistic and homophobic ignorance that plagues this country in general, and hip hop culture in particular. I'm saying that it's incredibly damaging on multiple levels to pit white america against black america using women and homosexuals as the wedge. I'm saying Jamar, and people like him, are a tumor on the planet, and that glorifying and thereby validating their ignorance by blindly celebrating whatever piddling musical contribution they may have made is completely repulsive and reprehensible.

Any more questions?
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

In my experience, those like jamar, who are most disturbed and upset by this kind of non issue, are those who have unresolved sexual leanings towards the very people they are villifying. Why else would you be bothered by it? As for his argument about 'the white man', well there is always a strong need to stereotype oneself and others when artistic inspiration is dead, and all that is left is adherance to an outdated, stale cutural dogma. He could equally say that there is a conspiracy to represent all black people as materialistic, violent, gun loving and sexually promiscuous.
In short, he needs to get out more.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

Here's the thing about this type of stuff. There is a lot of truth to the statement that black masculinity of a certain sort is threatening as hell in America. I just take issue with the idea that the only signifier of that masculinity is how a rapper dresses. And the idea that what's "real" is defined by what's happening on the streets of NY (which is kinda implied in this video, IMO) is limited as hell
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the thing about this type of stuff. There is a lot of truth to the statement that black masculinity of a certain sort is threatening as hell in America. I just take issue with the idea that the only signifier of that masculinity is how a rapper dresses. And the idea that what's "real" is defined by what's happening on the streets of NY (which is kinda implied in this video, IMO) is limited as hell
I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that black masculinity is different from white (or asian, or indian, et al) masculinity? I wouldn't be inclined to disagree; certainly different cultures have had and continue to have different views of the male's and female's roles in society. However, I'd caution against confusing the acknowledgement of diversity with giving a free pass to ignorant, hateful assholes for fear of appearing culturally insensitive.

Also, do you think there's a singular "type" of masculinity that defines male blackness? Because if so, I would question whether that in itself is an issue.

Again, I apologize if I'm misreading your intent, but it seems as though you're defending Jamar's bigotry by dividing masculinity along cultural lines. If being a masculine black male means subscribing to the kind of violence-glorifying, materialistic, womanizing, and homophobic nonsense that Jamar is a proponent of -- and that mainstream hip hop culture so widely endorses -- one might contend that America has every right to feel threatened. Women make up half this country's population. 3.5% of US citizens identify as gay (that of course wouldn't account for the folks who refuse to come out for reasons including the very sorts of bigotry we're discussing here).

Of course, I think it's foolish to call that sort of behavior or attitude "black masculinity". It's not masculine at all, nor is it representative of black men (as much as the fear-mongering right wing media junkies would like to believe it is). Jamar and people like him are ignorant cowards. They feel threatened by strong women, by gay men, even, apparently, by straight men doing things that they (erroneously) perceive as feminine or gay.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats old news, and to a point Chapelle (one of my favourite Comedians, let alone people, ever) is right. But that is more to do the denigration of the small pool of mainstream black actors than anything else... not fear...

Now I want to let you in on some not so secret information on the topic... Male actors dressing as women has been one of the longest running gags in Hollywood. It dates back to Charlie Chaplin and countless actors after him... all the old cartoons.. Warner Brothers and Disney thrived of this gag. MANY of the greats have dressed as women for a whole role or even bit parts.... many more than Black actors. Lets not forget that none of those roles that Chapelle brought up were roles that ANY of those actors needed to take... take a look at the movies and the stars careers at the time... none of them were on the line.

It's an old gag, and yes... corny, although Travolta did an awesome job. Still, do your homework and stop being ignorant. The facts are overwhelming and not in Chapelles favour sorry to say.

Why hasn't anyone posted Lord Jamars diss track up yet?? it's pretty funny lol.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search