The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Daft Punk the Beatles of Dance music?
Old 30th January 2013
Is Daft Punk the Beatles of Dance music?

Now that Daft Punk have announced that they will be coming out with a new album this spring, I would like to pose this question that I have been pondering for a while. Are they the modern day equivalent of the Beatles when it comes to electronic dance music?

My intuition says, yes, but I'm quite certain many will disagree.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear
no.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

As much as I love DP, I would have to say no. One great album (Homework), one album with a few good tunes (Discovery) and one bad album (the last one) does not equate the equivalent of The Beatles.

If someone must be nominated The Beatles of electronic/dance music, I would say Kraftwerk.
Old 2nd February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
As much as I love DP, I would have to say no. One great album (Homework), one album with a few good tunes (Discovery) and one bad album (the last one) does not equate the equivalent of The Beatles.

If someone must be nominated The Beatles of electronic/dance music, I would say Kraftwerk.
In some ways I would agree, but Kraftwerk never had the mass appeal that could justify that classification. In rock and roll terms, they are more like what blues is to rock groups of the 60's. Highly influential, and well known, but mostly amongst the audiophiles.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not sure there really is a need to compare them to The Beatles but I do consider Daft Punk the premier electronic/dance band right now and they have been for awhile.

I personally think that Daft Punk - Discovery is a masterpiece of writing and production. Some of the sound of that album is in the mastering. Rest in peace Nilz, you'll be missed!
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

to elaborate on the above analogy, i'd say dance music : hip hop :: blues : rock, and then that kanye is the beatles of hip hop. 808's and heartbreaks is the most influential album of the last 20 years.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbag View Post
to elaborate on the above analogy, i'd say dance music : hip hop :: blues : rock, and then that kanye is the beatles of hip hop. 808's and heartbreaks is the most influential album of the last 20 years.
Never heard that album. I think the only tracks I've heard from him are the song about women who like rich men and that truly awful Daft Punk-sampling one. I always put him in the same rap category as MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice, not in the category as, say, Public Enemy. Ie. cheesy mainstream rap.

But, as I have an open mind, care to share a really good song he's done?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search