The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone find it odd that nobody in this section cares about NAMM?
Old 25th January 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Does anyone find it odd that nobody in this section cares about NAMM?

This is very off topic but for a site like Gearslutz it seems many people in this particular section aren't into new gear or is it just me? I see all kinds of stuff about hardware from the 80s and 90s maybe something as recent as a Mpc 2500 or of course Maschine and the Mpc Ren or whatever plug in from 6-7 years ago but when the cool new stuff from Namm is announced today The Prophet 12 MS 20 mini, and King Korg come right to mind and I see not one thread about it. Are we stuck in a time warp gearwise to where we don't care anymore in the hip hop world about new gear?
Old 25th January 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Ironically, it seems namm doesnt want some of us. jk.
Old 25th January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

what do you mean?
Old 25th January 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
madehumble's Avatar
I care about it. I love hearing about new gear and also seeing technology advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
Old 25th January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
what do you mean?
I was wondering the same thing actually. That was a joke...a bad one.

Of course there are a whole bunch of people interested. Look, theres us. I noticed the count of the number of members viewing the different sub forums here. Often times this section has a low count of people viewing. I think the low count of namm topics might have something to do with that. I know what im going to get. hint hint.
Old 25th January 2013
  #6
Gear Addict
 

I dont wanna hear about it...Im gear celibate this year :(
Old 25th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
bigyo's Avatar
 

I follow it every year.. I just don't post about it here
Old 25th January 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyo View Post
I follow it every year.. I just don't post about it here
why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan View Post
I dont wanna hear about it...Im gear celibate this year :(
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
I was wondering the same thing actually. That was a joke...a bad one.

Of course there are a whole bunch of people interested. Look, theres us. I noticed the count of the number of members viewing the different sub forums here. Often times this section has a low count of people viewing. I think the low count of namm topics might have something to do with that. I know what im going to get. hint hint.
I know there are people interested I just don't hear about it in hip hop circles in general. Seriously when I talk gear to most hip hop producers these days they only talk about stuff that has been out forever or Maschine and Mpcs lol. Seriously I have spoken to a lot of hip hop producers who talk about hypersonic still. It was dope but it was discontinued 8 years ago. Does that **** even run on a modern OS anymore? I see all kinds of threads here on Mpc 2000xls, ASR10s, and SP 1200s constanty. I love old gear but it seems like not a lot of people embrace the new ideas unless again its a new mpc.
Old 25th January 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 

maybe people are busy working
Old 25th January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
RonGherkins's Avatar
I just feel like companies haven't been making that innovative **** that really would entice me to purchase new gear lately. I'm going to pick up ableton 9 and the new controller though.

I barely bought any gear last year, not even so much by choice as there was nothing good to buy (for what I'm doing).

Oh yeah! that new moog synth! Did anyone see the flylo promo for it? Sounded amazing. I might check that out as well.
Old 25th January 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

namm is about gear enthusiasts! This forum has a particular mindset which i believe to just make whatever simple tools work?
Hip hop breeds a young generation that may not be able to afford the gear out there, also others dont wanna get technical with it.
Old 25th January 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
maybe people are busy working
If you're working so hard why stop to make this post?
Old 25th January 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Isn't it a good sign when people focus more on the music and less on the newest, shiniest piece of kit?
Old 25th January 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post
Isn't it a good sign when people focus more on the music and less on the newest, shiniest piece of kit?
Its a gearslutz a site devoted to talking about gear. That's the whole point of the site lol. Besides look at the threads people are still talking about gear just old gear.
Old 25th January 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

So you're saying it's hopeless. heh
Old 25th January 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Some of us go every year, but we just dont post about it.
Nothing too amazing seems to be coming out these days. You should go one time. Then you wo u ld know its not that serious.

Most cats will be just as wack with the new gear.They need to be concerned with mqstering what they have first.
Old 25th January 2013
  #17
Gear Addict
 

You're touching on something cool though Kev...It does seem like the hip hop guys are sorta hung up in the past...Which is ironic because when hip hop was starting and was mostly sample driven all the machines producing it were cutting edge tech. Then the idea of "you can only make genre y with box z" took hold...
Old 25th January 2013
  #18
NAMM focuses on brand new (expensive) gear & software.
Hiphops roots have always been in inexpensive alternatives to buying the newest and most expensive equipment. I think the philosophy has been to get the most out of the modest or cheap gear, and only spend major money on things that are going to make the biggest difference.

The only things I found interesting in the NAMM section was Moog's new toy and the future of Pro Tools and their AAX format.
Interesting but on my budget, stuff like that has no real meaning for me right now.
Old 25th January 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
Some of us go every year, but we just dont post about it.
Nothing too amazing seems to be coming out these days. You should go one time. Then you wo u ld know its not that serious.

Most cats will be just as wack with the new gear.They need to be concerned with mqstering what they have first.
I might go but I am not talking about gear making people better. Maybe its just me but I enjoy gear for gear's sake not so much because something better but because something is interesting to me. I like hearing about new synths and plug ins ect. I subscribe to letters and feeds for products and companies I have no intention of buying from because I find gear to be interesting.
Old 25th January 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
NAMM focuses on brand new (expensive) gear & software.
Hiphops roots have always been in inexpensive alternatives to buying the newest and most expensive equipment. I think the philosophy has been to get the most out of the modest or cheap gear, and only spend major money on things that are going to make the biggest difference.

The only things I found interesting in the NAMM section was Moog's new toy and the future of Pro Tools and their AAX format.
Interesting but on my budget, stuff like that has no real meaning for me right now.
Maybe its me again but from many of the replies I am seeing many look for new gear to buy. I just look to see what's cool that's out there. I'll watch a seminar on Logic Pro knowing good and well I have no intentions of going Mac anytime soon. I didn't think I was the odd one here for that but it seems I am lol. As for hip hop roots I don't think that has carried over at all with the youth because a large portion of the youth pirates plug ins. Mostly older ones. Idk again I think maybe its me enjoying the new toys out there even though I have on intention of buying most of it. I cannot think of any one thing I have ever bought because I saw it on a Namm video but I always see something and say hey that's really cool.
Old 25th January 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan View Post
You're touching on something cool though Kev...It does seem like the hip hop guys are sorta hung up in the past...Which is ironic because when hip hop was starting and was mostly sample driven all the machines producing it were cutting edge tech. Then the idea of "you can only make genre y with box z" took hold...
I think that's kinda true to a point but then people here will jump on a new mpc but then again that's the sample driven nature of hip hop. I'd rather get on a new synth than a new mpc lol
Old 25th January 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 

Every time I go to NAMM type of shows or whichever one comes to the Javits Center in NYC every year I leave feeling depressed because i can't afford anything that was in the show.
Old 25th January 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Gear for gears sake? No thanks. Im straight I have friends like that. They annoy me. Some people go to NAMM to reunite with old acquaintances. Seeing new gear is a byproduct. I really started coming here to find out about new gear many years ago. For me GS has all the info I need so im not all hyped up over NAMM.

Sounds like you would have a great time there though.
Old 25th January 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 

The electronic music forum is insufferable right now. Kids going crazy over a couple of synths that have specs straight outta the year 1979. They're the ones living in the past. The new DSI thing is OK--like a Waldorf Q+ only 10 years later. The monosynth craze is ridiculous.
Old 25th January 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Alxi's Avatar
 

I have no problem getting news about NAMM from other places. I actually kinda like the fact that this section remains untouched.
Old 25th January 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
F Major's Avatar
 

I agree with you Kev, for this to be "Gearslutz" it seems that no one cares about new gear in this forum.

I went to NAMM yesterday, it was a bit underwhelming compared to previous years, but that has been the trend for years now.
Old 25th January 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
I have no problem getting news about NAMM from other places. I actually kinda like the fact that this section remains untouched.
We could declare this a "NAMM FREE ZONE"

Old 25th January 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 

it would be just another distraction like gs.
Old 25th January 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 
yosemitesam's Avatar
 

Well I'm driving down to my first NAMM today and tomorrow! If there's anyone from the forum who's also going and would like to meet up, email/Facebook/tweet/PM me. My Facebook is in my sig, and my other contact info is on my website (click the link in my sig).
Old 25th January 2013
  #30
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

I don't know, I just look at the NAMM forum on here. Honestly, many of the products don't really matter to me until they are on shelves anyway. I would say I get excited about 2-3 products per year so it's easier to just wait to get real, everyday users experience after they have been released.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump