The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone find it odd that nobody in this section cares about NAMM?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
I might go but I am not talking about gear making people better. Maybe its just me but I enjoy gear for gear's sake not so much because something better but because something is interesting to me. I like hearing about new synths and plug ins ect. I subscribe to letters and feeds for products and companies I have no intention of buying from because I find gear to be interesting.
I'm with you Kev. I like watching demos of new gear just for fun and because I might learn something or get inspired, even if I have no intention of buying. I started a thread here a few weeks back for the new moog synth, but no one was really interested. So I just post in the threads in the other sections, like the EDM/NAMM forums which are very active. You should check those out. I think I am going to buy that new sub phatty though. I think Moog really got this one right.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I believe there are at least a few who care but just not talking about it.

Being that I am in Japan, all I can do is stay glued to the forums, Sonic State, Gear Junkies, Sounds and Gear, MPC Forums, etc looking for news and videos on new products. Winter Namm is only 3 days every winter.

So far....I am only excited about:
1. UAD Apollo; new plugins, daisy chain two units, and 64 bit support for OSX

2. Moog Sub Phatty

3. Push Live Controller

4. MPC Ren 1.3 update
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
I believe there are at least a few who care but just not talking about it.

Being that I am in Japan, all I can do is stay glued to the forums, Sonic State, Gear Junkies, Sounds and Gear, MPC Forums, etc looking for news and videos on new products. Winter Namm is only 3 days every winter.

So far....I am only excited about:
1. UAD Apollo; new plugins, daisy chain two units, and 64 bit support for OSX

2. Moog Sub Phatty

3. Push Live Controller

4. MPC Ren 1.3 update
could you post a picture of you setup... i would love to see it...
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I don't care about caring about it.
L.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

what there to care about? everything is dumb software and virtual everything.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is very off topic but for a site like Gearslutz it seems many people in this particular section aren't into new gear or is it just me? I see all kinds of stuff about hardware from the 80s and 90s maybe something as recent as a Mpc 2500 or of course Maschine and the Mpc Ren or whatever plug in from 6-7 years ago but when the cool new stuff from Namm is announced today The Prophet 12 MS 20 mini, and King Korg come right to mind and I see not one thread about it. Are we stuck in a time warp gearwise to where we don't care anymore in the hip hop world about new gear?
In my personal opinion it has to do with the minimalist attitude a lot of hip hop heads have. I geek out at the sight of a new synth, sampler, DAW, controller, etc., but then I think to myself "do I really need all that gear? I'm fine with what I have!"

That's my theory on why NAMM is seemingly insignificant to the folks in this section.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Gear convention meh...
Take me to a vinyl shop with a good dollar bin; and im like a like kid ata toy store....

"Oohh I want this! Oooh I want that! Oooooh Oooooh! Look at this!"
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

Cause they're too busy trying to find the next set of cracked plugins or Fruity Troops
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
Cause they're too busy trying to find the next set of cracked plugins or Fruity Troops
lol ur probably right
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Because a hit record recorded thru an c800g to a neve 1073 to a burl adc and mixed on an SSL series = a hit recorded in FL studio. You don't "need" all that gear anymore an although I would love to have it I've realized that if I'm spending time obsessing over the latest gear , I'm not being creative. A lot of the younger generations first studio memories consist of a computer and an mbox.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBlakey View Post
could you post a picture of you setup... i would love to see it...
Sure. Give me a couple days. I have cables everywhere. I just re-arranged some things to make room for a new desk that will be used for MPC Studio, Maschine, and MPC 2500. I'll post pics as soon as I am done.

Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
Because a hit record recorded thru an c800g to a neve 1073 to a burl adc and mixed on an SSL series = a hit recorded in FL studio. You don't "need" all that gear anymore an although I would love to have it I've realized that if I'm spending time obsessing over the latest gear , I'm not being creative. A lot of the younger generations first studio memories consist of a computer and an mbox.
Do people only look at gear when they want something? I like gear because I like it kind of like a car nut likes cars because he likes cars but he doesn't need to own every car around to enjoy hearing about new cars.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
NAMM focuses on brand new (expensive) gear & software.
Hiphops roots have always been in inexpensive alternatives to buying the newest and most expensive equipment. I think the philosophy has been to get the most out of the modest or cheap gear, and only spend major money on things that are going to make the biggest difference.
This response about sums it up. Being in the hip hop forum usually comes attached with it a certain thought process when it comes to gear. As wildstyle said hip hop roots have always been in inexpensive alternatives. I think on top of this there comes a plethora of other reasons as to why people specifically in this section don't pay too much attention to NAMM but I am not the least bit surprised it is the hip hop forum.

I think I could make a reasonable generalization that people interested in making any kind of hip hop and or it's sub - genres are not as inclined to be well versed in anything that might lead back to wanting to buy gear, whether it be playing an instrument or having insight into the ins and outs of mixing to mastering and so on. Hip Hop by it's very nature comes with a certain...I don't want to say stigma, but certain, nuances I guess? I trust you know what I mean that will unless prompted by some sort of external influence generally not lead someone to anything outside of making hip hop.

So unless you consider it more than reasonably important to say play a keyboard or find out about the latest compressor or this or that then you can see why NAMM might be of little to no interest to someone that just wants to make hip hop. Combine that with the fact that being good enough at playing an instrument to justify a purchase or even a consideration of some equipment takes years or practice or the thought that seems to pervade hip hop that software and hardware are for all intents and purposes equal then you can start to see a general picture as to why NAMM might not hold as much mystique to the people in this section as to say a mixing engineer or session player.

Lastly the budget, as I said before unless you can reasonably convince or justify to yourself at least that it is worth it why spend say 3k or 2k on something there? Most of the stuff at NAMM isn't geared towards the hip hop maker, this isn't to say you can't make hip hop with it but up pops the thought again, since software and hardware are "equal" I don't need this. Better yet since I can click in everything I don't need a board or this or that.

Even if it comes down to software alone, unless you are versed in the intricacies of the sound of a piano you're hardly going to think it reasonable to spend say a few hundred bucks on a something like say Ivory, even more so when people just decide to torrent it.

In this day and age, it takes a different kind of thought process for someone in this section to want to take an interest in NAMM. Not generally for most other sections on Gearslutz but a different thought process for someone in the Hip Hop section.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict View Post
a lot of people have moved on from Namm, they are more Afghanistan focused these days

well played sir...well played
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat View Post
This response about sums it up. Being in the hip hop forum usually comes attached with it a certain thought process when it comes to gear. As wildstyle said hip hop roots have always been in inexpensive alternatives. I think on top of this there comes a plethora of other reasons as to why people specifically in this section don't pay too much attention to NAMM but I am not the least bit surprised it is the hip hop forum.

I think I could make a reasonable generalization that people interested in making any kind of hip hop and or it's sub - genres are not as inclined to be well versed in anything that might lead back to wanting to buy gear, whether it be playing an instrument or having insight into the ins and outs of mixing to mastering and so on. Hip Hop by it's very nature comes with a certain...I don't want to say stigma, but certain, nuances I guess? I trust you know what I mean that will unless prompted by some sort of external influence generally not lead someone to anything outside of making hip hop.

So unless you consider it more than reasonably important to say play a keyboard or find out about the latest compressor or this or that then you can see why NAMM might be of little to no interest to someone that just wants to make hip hop. Combine that with the fact that being good enough at playing an instrument to justify a purchase or even a consideration of some equipment takes years or practice or the thought that seems to pervade hip hop that software and hardware are for all intents and purposes equal then you can start to see a general picture as to why NAMM might not hold as much mystique to the people in this section as to say a mixing engineer or session player.

Lastly the budget, as I said before unless you can reasonably convince or justify to yourself at least that it is worth it why spend say 3k or 2k on something there? Most of the stuff at NAMM isn't geared towards the hip hop maker, this isn't to say you can't make hip hop with it but up pops the thought again, since software and hardware are "equal" I don't need this. Better yet since I can click in everything I don't need a board or this or that.

Even if it comes down to software alone, unless you are versed in the intricacies of the sound of a piano you're hardly going to think it reasonable to spend say a few hundred bucks on a something like say Ivory, even more so when people just decide to torrent it.

In this day and age, it takes a different kind of thought process for someone in this section to want to take an interest in NAMM. Not generally for most other sections on Gearslutz but a different thought process for someone in the Hip Hop section.
I get where you are coming from and this has been said a few times here. I just find it odd because this site is about gear. I also think people just simply aren't into it they just want tools to make music with. I guess kind of like how I don't care about piano mastery. I just wanna be good enough to make the songs I want to make as opposed to being a jazz pianist. I do care about tone a lot but it comes back to at the end of the day a piano is a piano and you don't get extra credit for creating your own sounds sort of thing.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get where you are coming from and this has been said a few times here. I just find it odd because this site is about gear. I also think people just simply aren't into it they just want tools to make music with. I guess kind of like how I don't care about piano mastery. I just wanna be good enough to make the songs I want to make as opposed to being a jazz pianist. I do care about tone a lot but it comes back to at the end of the day a piano is a piano and you don't get extra credit for creating your own sounds sort of thing.
Ironically enough, I haven't seen of late anyway that much talk of gear, I know it's probably more present in the other sections. I know the Music Computers section is always talking about the latest gadgets, same with the high end section but this section is sort of an enigma when it comes to gear talk, guess most of the people here have pretty much the same mind set when it comes to equipment but that probably comes back around to the whole hip hop thing again.

You would think that in this section it would probably be centered around common pieces of gear used in hip hop records and such but not so...apart from the invariable MPC thread you see pop up every now and again there isn't much talk of gear in this neck of the woods. Even software wise it has toned down a tad.... weird.

Guess no one expected us to be here in 2013 so they're all a bit shocked
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

I find that as my focus is writing songs the gear thing is mainly focused around what will help me write faster and get a song written quicker.
What will help me work with an artist better etc. when we r writing

I still find the any keyboard or piano and mpc combination impossible to beat for this. So been watching the Ren os like a hawk but beyond that I just don't care.
Most gear has the wrong focus for me.

Too many features not enough focus on workflow so much more could be done with the simple things we have if the features could be accessed in more immediate way.
Don't see much or this thinking at namm
G
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
what there to care about? everything is dumb software and virtual everything.
lol you'd be very wrong... Namm was awesome this year.
Old 28th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by foge View Post
I find that as my focus is writing songs the gear thing is mainly focused around what will help me write faster and get a song written quicker.
What will help me work with an artist better etc. when we r writing

I still find the any keyboard or piano and mpc combination impossible to beat for this. So been watching the Ren os like a hawk but beyond that I just don't care.
Most gear has the wrong focus for me.

Too many features not enough focus on workflow so much more could be done with the simple things we have if the features could be accessed in more immediate way.
Don't see much or this thinking at namm
G
I think last part really applies to me. I've been ITB for my entire 11+ years making beats, I don't own an external sound modules or effects units. I've been using FL since the end of 2004 and I'm still discovering things that could have benefited me and helped my workflow that I've ignored & bypassed because I was to busy trying to cop new VSTs that do the same thing.
I downloaded all the FL Synthmaker Presets & discovered all sorts of amazing "new to me" synthesizers everything from FM synthesis to Wavetable synthesis, to new effects.
I "found" over a 1000 new sounds this weekend alone ..that I definitely plan on using.

Which gets me back to the topic, I definitely need to focus on mastering the tools I have rather than obsessing over new stuff coming out.
Other than a couple of amazing hardware synths way out of my price range there's nothing real exciting to talk about from NAMM.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

I love gear. I feel like that's crucial to find the way to get the best sound I can.
As a rapper, the gear I use is pretty limited these days; I still have interest in all gear though, cause a fresh new piece can come out at any time and make me want to produce again, thats what the MPC and Maschine did to me. FL back in the day did that to me. Sony Acid. Etc.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

We had quite a lot of hip hop people *very* excited by pitchmap at our NAMM booth....:-)

zynaptiq: pitchmap

-d
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

I don't think it has anything to do with hip hop/genres.
(And on a side note, I don't think there is anything minimalist about hip hop/rap production)
It's NAMM itself. Previous years have dropped something new and revolutionary for most involved. The last two years, not so much.

some examples from previous years.....

DJs got serato/ableton/plug-ins running live...Digital turns...etc....
Studios got IK's ARC room Correction
VSTs got Omnisphere
Drum machine heads got Maschine...
Workstation users saw a new (and interesting) release from the Big 3
Synth users got Moog/DSI/Access and tons of boutique releases
DAWS got Ableton/Cubase/Sonar and even ProTools stepped their game up.

And before you go on further- remember SOMETHING from that explosion is what YOU are using NOW.

FFWD to this year and WHAT equals ANYTHING from those years?
I have understood the sagging economy has tightened the belt, but these companies used to manage 3 or 4 releases at once. Now, it's one [or two] new product[s] that is quite similar to something they have already made.

What's the big stir this year making all the rounds?
Moog Sub Phatty, KORG MS mini....DSI Prophet 12

Aside from the Analog KORG MS joint, it looks like nothing new at all until you get really, really close.

NAMM will excite us again- when there are SEVERAL products we consider must-buys. And one or two we didn't see coming and someone thinks of it as a 'game changer'.
Old 31st January 2013
Looking forward to see these NAMM goodies in my setup:

Rupert Neve Designs Portico 542 Tape Emulator

Telefunken Elektroakustik M82

Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Avid View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with hip hop/genres.
(And on a side note, I don't think there is anything minimalist about hip hop/rap production)
It's NAMM itself. Previous years have dropped something new and revolutionary for most involved. The last two years, not so much.

some examples from previous years.....

DJs got serato/ableton/plug-ins running live...Digital turns...etc....
Studios got IK's ARC room Correction
VSTs got Omnisphere
Drum machine heads got Maschine...
Workstation users saw a new (and interesting) release from the Big 3
Synth users got Moog/DSI/Access and tons of boutique releases
DAWS got Ableton/Cubase/Sonar and even ProTools stepped their game up.

And before you go on further- remember SOMETHING from that explosion is what YOU are using NOW.

FFWD to this year and WHAT equals ANYTHING from those years?
I have understood the sagging economy has tightened the belt, but these companies used to manage 3 or 4 releases at once. Now, it's one [or two] new product[s] that is quite similar to something they have already made.

What's the big stir this year making all the rounds?
Moog Sub Phatty, KORG MS mini....DSI Prophet 12

Aside from the Analog KORG MS joint, it looks like nothing new at all until you get really, really close.

NAMM will excite us again- when there are SEVERAL products we consider must-buys. And one or two we didn't see coming and someone thinks of it as a 'game changer'.
true there wasn't anything ground breaking really except for maybe the MS 20 mini which was cool but nothing really new. I feel the last innovative music production product to come out though was Maschine. We already have a lot of romplers and synths out there and they are all unique in their own ways but Maschine was the first to bridge the gap between hardware drum machines and software drum samplers. I still think the Prophet 20 and King Korg are cool though. The sub fatty looks nice too.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
We had quite a lot of hip hop people *very* excited by pitchmap at our NAMM booth....:-)

zynaptiq: pitchmap

-d
I just got a bonner...
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

I just looked up pitchmap on YouTube, pretty incredible
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
true there wasn't anything ground breaking really except for maybe the MS 20 mini which was cool but nothing really new. I feel the last innovative music production product to come out though was Maschine. We already have a lot of romplers and synths out there and they are all unique in their own ways but Maschine was the first to bridge the gap between hardware drum machines and software drum samplers. I still think the Prophet 20 and King Korg are cool though. The sub fatty looks nice too.
What about Push? Imho I think it is gonna take finger drumming to a new level. If you watch the You--tube video with Jeremy Ellis he is getting busy. I don't think 16 pads is gonna cut it now of days.

Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
What about Push? Imho I think it is gonna take finger drumming to a new level. If you watch the You--tube video with Jeremy Ellis he is getting busy. I don't think 16 pads is gonna cut it now of days.

Push isn't ready for the masses yet imo. Its going to be out but its just a midi pad controller that allows you to select Live devices. You can't warp audio, select drum samples, open vsts or a slew of other features that I deem important. I don't care about using it as a piano or playing drums on small pads. Maschine is a much better fit for me than Push.
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Push isn't ready for the masses yet imo. Its going to be out but its just a midi pad controller that allows you to select Live devices. You can't warp audio, select drum samples, open vsts or a slew of other features that I deem important. I don't care about using it as a piano or playing drums on small pads. Maschine is a much better fit for me than Push.
Yeah I can dig that, but what I'm saying is that the next arab beatz is not gonna be banging on sixteen pads; he gonna be banging on a push controller or a launch pad and he gonna be killing it. I'm talking bout live performance of course. In studio all I need is my mouse and modifier keys wit my mpd18 off to the left of me. Thats it, but I'm definitely all over that push controller.
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
Yeah I can dig that, but what I'm saying is that the next arab beatz is not gonna be banging on sixteen pads; he gonna be banging on a push controller or a launch pad and he gonna be killing it. I'm talking bout live performance of course. In studio all I need is my mouse and modifier keys wit my mpd18 off to the left of me. Thats it, but I'm definitely all over that push controller.
well yeah if that's what someone is aspiring to be the tool used won't matter as much. I am not a live performer personally I am a studio guy and I like that feel of a hardware drum machine. That's just me though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search