Old 13th January 2013
Gear Head

can be inspiring
but for me i learned it just slows down the process and make me lazy
Old 13th January 2013
I'm tired of musicians coming to the studio sedated. Wasting time
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

I for one, feel the answer is both individual and situational.

Personally, I find after having completed a session without the use of any foreign insperational
substance(s)...

That the introduction of such substances can lead to some interesting results artistically speaking.
I always make a duplicate session or do a "Save As" with a notation that let's me know that the session was made while "inspired" foreign substances.

But I should advise - I do not, nor do I think it is good practice to do so while working on/for productions that are not my own; It is simply not professional.

Cheers,
Alexa
Old 13th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by david Crates View Post
can be inspiring
but for me i learned it just slows down the process and make me lazy
Same here,i quit for good about 2 years ago.After stopping before that and starting back about 6 months later.When i used to smoke i would just be in a lazy dumbfounded haze. Made me feel stupid and slow response wise.So i just gave it up altogether,never felt better like a shroud had been lifted off my mind lol. But i have heard from rappers and other producers that it can help them creatively,but it just seemed to hinder me altogether.
Old 13th January 2013
That ****'s weak, you gotta try this instead.

There you go.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Here's my assistant working in the Colorado field environment;

Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post

Tell your assistant that I know someone doing 12 years and 1 of the pieces of evidence was a pic like that
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash View Post
Tell your assistant that I know someone doing 12 years and 1 of the pieces of evidence was a pic like that
It's legal to grow in CO, as long as your paperwork is in order.
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Damn, thats whats up.
Old 14th January 2013
Pot is ok for messing around, but I prefer hash for serious work.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:

You do realize that the feds can easily find you through your IP address....

Sent from my Droid
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

I live in Colorado, my friends, where this is entirely legal.

It's also legal for anyone to possess up to an ounce on their person, as long as they are over 21 years of age.

Rappers welcome!
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I live in Colorado, my friends, where this is entirely legal.

It's also legal for anyone to possess up to an ounce on their person, as long as they are over 21 years of age.

Rappers welcome!
It may be legal on the state level, but not on the federal level. So no, not entirely legal.

Sent from my Droid
Old 14th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete View Post
It may be legal on the state level, but not on the federal level. So no, not entirely legal.

Sent from my Droid
That's why he said "I live in colorado where it's entirely legal." so yeah, he's completely fine with that picture. It's not like he's selling it to somebody in a different state. You guys need to chill.
Old 14th January 2013
There aren't enough federal agents to arrest the citizens of colorado or washington... everythings legit...the government, people, and feds will be navigating how this all unfolds till complete legalization &/or reclassification or decriminalization.

To get back on topic. Sure why not, always depends on the session and the people involved. Gotta love reggae culture for that
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigginInTheCrate View Post
Just for fun,
Use it?
Always?
Only when creating? Mixing aswell?
Not at all?

Taughts on that?

i'm curious.
I smoked for a decade. When I smoke I find I can't just smoke during certain times and not others. If I have weed in my house, I will smoke it from when I wake up, till I go to bed. It will constantly be on my mind if I don't smoke, and I'll get irritated and impatient easily.

As far as making beats go, I have to be clean for at least a few weeks before my inspiration comes back to make beats sober. Then, after that, it doesn't make a difference whether I'm high or not (for making beats).

For mixing, I find that being sober is the best bet. My hearing changes when I'm high.
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Its all good as long as you can handle it and it doesnt make you lazy. id rather high rappers then drunk rappers
Old 14th January 2013
It makes me work faster for real. Ideas just flow easier. I love marijuana when composing!
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

it makes me lazy

i don't smoke much anymore so it's not a normal feeling for me
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Composing, performing, or mixing... yes.

Tracking, setup, or troubleshooting... no.

On other's paid time... no.

Some epic musical tokers;

Duke Ellington
Bird
The Beatles, esp. the walrus
Cypress Hill

for starters...
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

I use to indulge about 12 years ago. For me, personally, I would initially be inspired, but couldn't follow through, lost my drive or came up with a different idea and get distracted. Then I fell into to thought that I had to be high before working on anything. It was sort of a mental trap. Some people may be able to stick to occasional use, but not me. That's something I learned about myself.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex View Post
I for one, feel the answer is both individual and situational.

Personally, I find after having completed a session without the use of any foreign insperational
substance(s)...

That the introduction of such substances can lead to some interesting results artistically speaking.
I always make a duplicate session or do a "Save As" with a notation that let's me know that the session was made while "inspired" foreign substances.

But I should advise - I do not, nor do I think it is good practice to do so while working on/for productions that are not my own; It is simply not professional.

Cheers,
Alexa
X2

I have a pretty similar approach. It's generally a no no for me when working on someone else's session. However, if I'm working on my own material I've definitely found it to offer a valuable alternative perspective when creating.
Old 14th January 2013
Its good for writing and producing..I wish someone else was in my home studio to track and record...I easily get stuck on stupid...Sometimes the music sounds good at night, then i go back in the lab in the a.m all excited to hear and sometimes I be like where the f$#k was I thinking of..I probably smoked about 4 times this past year...Starting to outgrow the feeling..
Old 14th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
I smoked for a decade. When I smoke I find I can't just smoke during certain times and not others. If I have weed in my house, I will smoke it from when I wake up, till I go to bed. It will constantly be on my mind if I don't smoke, and I'll get irritated and impatient easily.

As far as making beats go, I have to be clean for at least a few weeks before my inspiration comes back to make beats sober. Then, after that, it doesn't make a difference whether I'm high or not (for making beats).

For mixing, I find that being sober is the best bet. My hearing changes when I'm high.
funny, my hearing changes too.
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

I don't smoke a lot anymore, so when I do I really enjoy it. Love to play, love to mix. But I would never do it on a paid gig. And yeah, my hearing changes too. Not a bad thing, just different. And go Colorado...I can't believe it's not legal in CA. We're supposed to be so progressive.
L.
Old 14th January 2013
I smoke often while producing and mixing--especially mixing. Never while tracking. I'll smoke with clients over or alone.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

I quit 6 yrs ago, but I used to like recording sober, and then smoking afterwards and listening back to what I recorded while high.
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Stopped a long time ago as it was no longer doing anything worthwhile for me on any level.

What would happen (when I enjoyed it) is that I would get away from the computer and get more hands on with my hardware (pause). I would end up sitting at my CS 30 making sounds like I was channelling outer world communications...

Cool man

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search