The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Digital Distribution or Aggregator
View Poll Results: What's the best Aggregator (Digital Distribution)?
CD Baby
5 Votes - 22.73%
TuneCore
2 Votes - 9.09%
ReverbNation
0 Votes - 0%
AWAL
2 Votes - 9.09%
MondoTunes
2 Votes - 9.09%
Catapult
1 Votes - 4.55%
Other (specify in your post)
10 Votes - 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd November 2019
  #61
Deleted 509ab36
Guest
Civil? I dont consider attacking my statement, implying that I am a liar and making accusations as being courteous and polite in the least. I am not sure why you're jumping in to his defense and speaking on his behalf.. he dug his own hole. I made a simple post stating the truth and fact of the matter regarding Distrokid and Spotify's relationship and business practices.

The average person with little to no knowledge of how distribution works and what red flags to look for, as well as those who do, clearly, wouldn't know that Spotify partially owns Distrokid and therefor is not only taking a cut of their streaming royalties from the Spotify end, but also a cut from the Distrokid end. That by definition is double dipping. And as I have said time and again, even if for whatever reasons someone chooses not to support Spotify and therefor does not choose to upload their music to the platform, Spotify will still get a cut of their money from the Distrokid fees as well as Youtube money streaming royalties. Distrokid does not disclose any of this information on their website. Nothing that I have said is untrue.

So yes, that is entirely shady business practice. Is it illegal? I am not a court room judge to decide that, but it most certainly is unethical. Have there been other more serious issues within the industry? Well, yes, and unsurprisingly Spotify seems to be involved, if not front and center in many of them. The people behind the curtain have a very checkered, in fact criminal, past within the music industry.

Why are you sidetracking this point of discussion? I've owned several successful businesses for nearly 15 years, so yes, I know perfectly well how business works thanks. Apple's Logic? Their retail hardware and software pricing structure is irrelevant to this thread about distribution.

The bottom line here is that people deserve to know what they're getting themselves into when signing up for distribution. I have outlined the facts. I have also provided readers with additional information that fully dissects Distrokid's misleading and convoluted pricing schemes.
Old 3rd November 2019
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbunnyrabbit View Post
Civil? I dont consider attacking my statement, implying that I am a liar and making accusations as being courteous and polite in the least. I am not sure why you're jumping in to his defense and speaking on his behalf.. he dug his own hole. I made a simple post stating the truth and fact of the matter regarding Distrokid and Spotify's relationship and business practices.

The average person with little to no knowledge of how distribution works and what red flags to look for, as well as those who do, clearly, wouldn't know that Spotify partially owns Distrokid and therefor is not only taking a cut of their streaming royalties from the Spotify end, but also a cut from the Distrokid end. That by definition is double dipping. And as I have said time and again, even if for whatever reasons someone chooses not to support Spotify and therefor does not choose to upload their music to the platform, Spotify will still get a cut of their money from the Distrokid fees as well as Youtube money streaming royalties. Distrokid does not disclose any of this information on their website. Nothing that I have said is untrue.

So yes, that is entirely shady business practice. Is it illegal? I am not a court room judge to decide that, but it most certainly is unethical. Have there been other more serious issues within the industry? Well, yes, and unsurprisingly Spotify seems to be involved, if not front and center in many of them. The people behind the curtain have a very checkered, in fact criminal, past within the music industry.

Why are you sidetracking this point of discussion? I've owned several successful businesses for nearly 15 years, so yes, I know perfectly well how business works thanks. Apple's Logic? Their retail hardware and software pricing structure is irrelevant to this thread about distribution.

The bottom line here is that people deserve to know what they're getting themselves into when signing up for distribution. I have outlined the facts. I have also provided readers with additional information that fully dissects Distrokid's misleading and convoluted pricing schemes.
You can imply someone isn’t telling the truth (or as is more likely here, misguided) whilst still saying civil.

As a mod here, you cross the line and blue doesn’t here. That’s not up for discussion.

The rest is a matter of opinion and you’re entitled to it
Old 3rd November 2019
  #63
OBM
Here for the gear
 

At this time I'm happy with imusician, good service and seems more "customer friendly" than the other ones. I mean, simple agreement, very responsive.
Old 3rd November 2019
  #64
Lives for gear
 
memristor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBM View Post
At this time I'm happy with imusician, good service and seems more "customer friendly" than the other ones. I mean, simple agreement, very responsive.
what do they charge?

I cant find much information. They advertise with 9 € for your first release.
9 € a month? a year? for ever?
For a single track or an album?
Old 3rd November 2019
  #65
OBM
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
what do they charge?

I cant find much information. They advertise with 9 € for your first release.
9 € a month? a year? for ever?
For a single track or an album?

You have a prices table here https://www.imusiciandigital.com/en/pricing/

For me the best option is "Rockstar", more expensive but 0% commission.

You pay 1 time, "for ever".
Old 3rd November 2019
  #66
My only brief in this matter is that the gentleman in question made a factual error, his contention that DistroKid takes a cut of the backend, the artist/label stream revenue paid out by the streamers. As I had just been doing some comparison service shopping, I knew -- from multiple sources -- that this was not true. Some services do, DistroKid does not, instead taking their own revenue from up-front flat, annual, per-artist account maintenance fees, with an additional, short schedule of fees for add-on services, which also includes the YouTube monetization management service -- for which they do take a 20% cut of money YT pays for monetized videos, a separate issue previously stipulated to at or near the beginning of this particular sidebar discussion.

I laid out the facts as I understand them with basic support evidence. The gentleman appeared to refuse to accept the facts.

At the point where he flat out denied that he had said what he, indeed, did say (see quotes below), I thought it best to stop trying to reason with someone who seemed beyond that reach.

I see upon reading some of his further posting that he has also suggested I accused him of lying. I'm curious just where and when that occurred. I certainly don't see it in re-reading my posts.

And he should rest assured that I certainly don't think he's lying here. I just think he simply has little or no idea what he's talking about. He made a rather foolish and unsupportable statement -- which he later denied making (also rather foolishly, since the evidence was in the thread in his own words). That doesn't mean he was lying, but he was clearly mistaken. Frankly, I'm not sure he really knew what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbunnyrabbit View Post
Come on. They absolutely do take a cut of any and all royalties for their "services" (one example being 20% of Youtube money royalties). Even if you opt out of all extra services on offer, you still need to pay the mandatory annual fees. You can try to minimize it any way you like, but the fact is Spotify is getting a cut from both streaming and any other money Distrokid collects, fees paid and/or deducted, royalty % or otherwise. That is double dipping and very shady business practice. Both Spotify (which I expect nothing less from) and Distrokid, for not disclosing any of this on their site, are equally to blame for this little scam they're running. We're talking about billions, with a "b", of dollars each and every year.

"DistroKid is an independent digital music distribution service" (wikipedia) .. yeah, right
[bold added above]

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbunnyrabbit View Post
Wrong. You might consider getting some new glasses buddy. I NEVER once said or even so much as implied that Distrokid takes a cut of ALL royalties paid to the artist! NEVER.

[...]
One last thing -- I don't want to drag the long-suffering, hard-working psycho_monkey into the middle of this but I'd like to think that he was not suggesting (several posts above) that I was 'misguided' in this matter, simply that that was among a range of possibilities in such circumstances.
Old 4th November 2019
  #67
Deleted 509ab36
Guest
More hot air... look blue1, I realize now that you and the mod are buddies and both of you have impunity on this forum, which is fine. But it certainly doesn't change the facts. By posting the same misinformation again and again, you're sounding like a broken record now. Repeating the same fabricated information over and over, wont change the facts, the only thing it achieves is silliness. We're at a point now where it's embarrassing.

Since clearly your only goal here is to try and save face, one up, get the last word and bury the truth in the black hole of pages, I will post this again for the new readers just joining us.

FYI: In regards to Distrokid and their relationship with Spotify - Spotify partially owns Distrokid. So if you don't support Spotify, but rather support the independent music industry, artists and labels, choose a different distributor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbunnyrabbit View Post

Distrokid signup membership fee = Spotify gets a cut.
Distrokid>Spotify streaming = Spotify gets a cut (of both streaming royalties and Distrokid fees).
Distrokid Youtube FEE + 20% of royalties = Spotify gets a cut.
Distrokid annual fees = Spotify gets a cut.
Distrokid extra "services"? = Spotify gets a cut.
Distrokid "leave a legacy" = Spotify gets a cut.
Don't distribute to Spotify? = Spotify still gets a cut.

Any money Distrokid receives = Spotify gets a cut.

For those distributing music to Spotify, Spotify is double dipping into your royalty stream.

Distrokid website discloses none of the above.

Both are shady AF.

*If you're reading this thread and trying to decipher whats what from all of the smoke and mirrors, here is a MUST READ FIRST about Distrokid's intentionally convoluted distribution "service" (minus the FACT that Spotify partially owns Distrokid and therefor gets a cut of everything, of course).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #68
And now, back to business...

So, does anyone have any experience with -- or thoughts on -- this relatively new (2017), 'curated' aggregation service, United Masters? They certainly seem to be well-connected within the confluence of the tech and music industries. And slick, at least in their promotional materials.

Eight Months After Launch, UnitedMasters Quietly Rolls Out Online Distribution Service For Artists
Steve Stoute Talks New United Masters, NBA Deal, And The Death Of Record Labels


Thoughts?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump