The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Slutz Ever Tried CHIROPRACTIC?????????
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Any Slutz Ever Tried CHIROPRACTIC?????????

Fellow Slutz,

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? What were your experiences there?? I would like to know... The Good, The Bad, and of course... The Ugly... What made you like or dislike chiropractic...

I'll go ahead and be honest and say that I am a chiropractor.... It's my day job...
It's very rewarding for me... I've seen many great things... issues, problems, complaints, medical conditions that traditional medicine has given up on walk in my door everyday.... I'm not saying i'm some miracle worker or anything i'm simply saying what happens.... daily...

None the less... Again, i would like to hear your views... And if anyone has any interesting experiences (good or bad)..... Please share....

Dr. Clisby
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I have been to a Chiropractor many times. If I could afford to go as often as I need to go I would still go. Problem is... if you need to go three or more times a week, as I should, it gets too expensive. Thus, I don't go, because only once or twice a month just makes me feel like I've been in a car wreck once or twice a month. This makes my back feel much worse.

My best experience though was when I went in with a serious sinus issue that went into my ears. She cracked my neck and instantly my ears popped and my sinuses cleared. It was AWESOME!
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Every 6 weeks for a comprehensive session. I can tell that it's time when I stop sleeping well. It all started when a girl I was dating got into a car wreck with me. She was following too closely... it (the dating part) didn't last and my heart has since healed - my skeletal structure on the other hand...

cheers,
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

My left foot was crushed in an industrial accident. The medical doctors I saw had no clue on how dislocated everything was, didn't even advise to put ice on it.....My chiropractor was able to fix it....took 4 months of treatments, but I can walk again thanks to him.

I also have lot's of back problems and the brace he gave me years ago, still works for me on my lower back, as I use it occassionaly. He also turned me on to some pain relieving salve called "Sore No More" which works great for sore muscles and my mother's athritis in her hands...(Do a google search for "Sore No More" more info).

I currently have a pinched nerve in my upper back/neck, I've been trying to work out for a couple of weeks....When I move my head a certain way, it feels like I get a jolt of electric shock down to my fingers in my right arm.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Ech. I should probably see a chiropractor, but like so many other minor medical things in my life, I put it off because I have no insurance and no money.

I hang in an inversion table a few minutes every day. Once a week, some guy at work walks on my back until the popping stops. This keeps me from constantly having the feeling that there are three too many vertebrae in my upper back. I'M PROBABLY DESTROYING MYSELF.
Old 6th June 2006
krs
Lives for gear

Saw mine this morning.

This profession is so unregulated (or so it seems) it's ridiculous. Too many snake oil salesman out there who can hurt you.

I'm a big fan of the NUCCA (upper cervical) technique, it's very gentle and extremely effective for my bad neck.

Good luck! Kirk
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Chiropractic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs

This profession is so unregulated (or so it seems) it's ridiculous. Too many snake oil salesman out there who can hurt you.

I'm a big fan of the NUCCA (upper cervical) technique, it's very gentle and extremely effective for my bad neck.

Good luck! Kirk
Kirk I have to agree with you to some degree.... There are some definitely some salesman out there.... However, it would be pretty hard to hurt someone.... but it happens.... I always tell my patients that sometimes there is soreness after an adjustment.... Much similar to the day following a workout, you're a simply sore but you know it's for the better....

Dr. Clisby
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've been to two chiros over the past fifteen years and didn't get any relief from either. These particular people (no general slag on their profession) seemed to have a routine way of approaching treatment of my particular injuries and, after their treatments failed to provide any relief, I found medical doctors who very quickly identified the source of the problem and fixed me up in no time. Most recent case was just before Xmas, when I hurt my lower back. I was in terrible, debilitating pain, and the chiro I went to (widely recommended and considered one of the best in Austin) failed to consider that I had herniated a disc, and just putting me on his adjustment table exacerbated the pressure on the nerve that was pinched by the swollen disc. An MD immediately diagnosed the correct problem, prescribed steroids, and the pain was gone within 18 hours. I don't think I'll be going back to a chiropractor after my experiences.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Chiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymatt
Ech. I should probably see a chiropractor, but like so many other minor medical things in my life, I put it off because I have no insurance and no money.

I hang in an inversion table a few minutes every day. Once a week, some guy at work walks on my back until the popping stops. This keeps me from constantly having the feeling that there are three too many vertebrae in my upper back. I'M PROBABLY DESTROYING MYSELF.

Yea... You really should go.... It's funny to me how we tend to think that back pain is normal, or minor.... You don't have to live with it... There are too many options out there for relief....

The guy walking on your back.... Yea... I wouldn't say that was the best thing for your spine... It may feel good momentarily, but you need a trained professional with the skills and knowledge to move the particular vertebra that need mobilization.... In the long run... it will catch up with you... and create hypermobility because the same vertebra are moving all the time and the ones that are really "stuck" stay that way...

Dr. Clisby
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Thank you for your advice, Doctor.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

When it´s been solely about muscular problems in the past I could get things in order by myself. However, almost 2 years ago I must have blocked something in the upper spinal while sporadically but excessively exercising without considering that I´m no fulltime athlete anymore since quite a while.
So, it made a little noise in the back, there was quite a pain around my left arm for a couple months, and there remained a permanent dis-joint feeling in the upper back until these days.

I´m plannnig to visit a chiropractor all the time ( manana, manana ), but lately I heard form martial arts clients some bad stories of chiropractors who allegedly caused long-term damages on their patients. Peeps seem to recommend osteopathy now, but what do I know ...

Ruphus
Old 6th June 2006
krs
Lives for gear

yo kclisby - good to have you here.

I said that because I have seen 2 chiropractors who were just too forceful for me to be comfortable. This kind of work scares me, where they don't respect the bodies ability to heal itself, rather trying to get the job done too quickly.

I personally believe the best chiropractors have a wide range of techniques. My main chiropractor (who's waiting room is regularly filled with chiropractors getting THEIR adjustments!) uses NUCCA, Thompson tables, Gonstead, Cale and a host of others. This gives him a wide range of technique to deal with many types of problems. Like I said before NUCCA is amazing because it is gentle and very specific. Saved my left arm from a terrible nerve entrapment.

What kind of techniques do you use kclisby?
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson
I've been to two chiros over the past fifteen years and didn't get any relief from either. These particular people (no general slag on their profession) seemed to have a routine way of approaching treatment of my particular injuries and, after their treatments failed to provide any relief, I found medical doctors who very quickly identified the source of the problem and fixed me up in no time. Most recent case was just before Xmas, when I hurt my lower back. I was in terrible, debilitating pain, and the chiro I went to (widely recommended and considered one of the best in Austin) failed to consider that I had herniated a disc, and just putting me on his adjustment table exacerbated the pressure on the nerve that was pinched by the swollen disc. An MD immediately diagnosed the correct problem, prescribed steroids, and the pain was gone within 18 hours. I don't think I'll be going back to a chiropractor after my experiences.
Hudson,

Sorry you had a bad experience... Disc herniations are classic cases for chiropractors... However, the way the symptoms present are all over the place... There are people who have herniations at every level in the lumbar spine who don't show any signs or symptons, no radiation down the legs, normal range of motion..... And then there's the guy who has a small disc protusion at L1, who can't reach down and touch his toes without crying.... So my point is the way a person presents with disc herniations is all over the place....

Here at my office... We don't take the same approach to every patient, because patients are different, symptoms are different, pain is different, Also pain is SUBJECTIVE... which is another completely different beast all together....
We actually hate the "cookie cutter" approach to chiropractic... Everyone is different....

I have to apologize for the whole chiropractic profession right now, but It is rare where i see a case like yours... I mean did you not have symptoms... local pain, radicular symptoms down the legs, a positive SLR, other positive orthopedic exams... A flexion/distraction table would have probably worked wonders for your lower back without the need of drugs....

Also, i have to say that I'm a firm believer that if someone has a bacterial infection..... they need an antibiotic.... Meaning drugs have their place, no chiropractic adjustment is going to cure cancer, or an STD... but i do feel strongly that any neuromusculoskeletal complaints should be approach without the use of medicine first.... Which you did... Sorry... I wish things would have been different for you.... I said that to say that people who have disc herniations and experience symptoms usually don't just have one of them so drugs are cool for some situations but not all.... If ever the problem arises againg give it another try....

Dr. Clisby
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

My mother in law is a Chiro junkie. She has been for over 30 years. She goes weekly, and sometimes even more. I guess it is her version of going to the hairdresser and getting her hair "set", as ladies of her age group often do.

It begs the question, if chiro's can fix someone, why would they have to have a regular visit for over 30 years. What ever it is, it makes her happy.

Most recently, her chiro did some heavy manipulation around her shoulder. Since then (5 weeks) she has not been able to lift her arm at all, brush her teeth with that hand, or do even mundane things with that arm. She has a deep bruise on that shoulder, and another deep bruise on her lower back/kidney area. Ity breaks my heart to see her that way.

I honestly want to go over and give that chiro the same treatment myself. I bet you I would get arrested for assault.

Because of the lack of regulation, I absolutely equate the "art" of chiropracy with voodoo. It may work for you, but mileage will vary, and they will not be shy about emptying your wallet.

Somehow, the ostepath's and massotherapists of the world do not suffer the same pad reputation even if their field is a bit more out there.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
I´m plannnig to visit a chiropractor all the time ( manana, manana ), but lately I heard form martial arts clients some bad stories of chiropractors who allegedly caused long-term damages on their patients. Peeps seem to recommend osteopathy now, but what do I know ...

Ruphus
Ruphus,

I think it's sometimes crazy how the chiros get the bad rep for things sometimes... You know it's a fact that many people die yearly from the wrong medicine over 100,000 people... that's alot... and i'm being nice with that number... And you never hear the bad rep following MD's... but the one in 6million time a chiro adjust someone and something happens... it's all over ....

Something to think about
Old 6th June 2006
dbm
Lives for gear

I have had a problem that has been getting continually worse for around a year. I think its tendonitis from playing tons of guitar. Its in both arms(sore, swolen, stiff, lack of response after playing) I also think its running up my neck and who knows where else. I have thought about going to a chiropractor, but after searching on the internet, I can NOT for the life of me find out if a chiropractor could do anything. Plus, Im kinda scared that I will get in there and he'll be like "Sure, I can fix you up, NO PROBLEM" *crack-a-lack-a-SNAP* Now, I just don't know what to do and my procrastination will probably cause me permanent damage cause I still play all the time.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs

What kind of techniques do you use kclisby?
Krs,

I practice Diversified Technique... Which is simply a combination of a lot of things... I am more of a science based chiropractor as opposed to philosophy.... Our treatment is geared more towards fixing the biomechanics(if musculoskeletal) through adjustments, exercise, stretching, other modalites such as cold laser, estim, ultrasound, ice, heat, etc.... Our primary goal here at the office is function..... We are not trying to free some innate force through your body to heal the world of every possible sickness known to man.....LOL... Hope that helps...

Dr. CLisby
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've been going to a place called "Migun".

It's an automated bed that does an amazing kind of therapeutic work on your back. And it's free.

Their business model is that they set up storefronts with twenty or so of these machines and they invite the public to go through the therapy for free. If you like it enough, and can afford it, I guess you buy the thing.

Anyway, as bonkers as it sounds, it works and they treat you like a paying customer. It's kind of unbelievable that it's free.

It uses some kind of combination of far-infrared and pressure. At first you're expecting a massage, and I think everyone's a little disappointed at first because it's not a massage. The first time I did it, I thought it was nothing, but then I started to notice that my back felt better than it had in a while.

I believe the guy who designed it is a chiropracter.

Now I go a couple of times a week. Gawd, I sound like an infommercial.

Anyway, check it out. Here's the locations in the US. They have 'em worldwide.

http://www.migunworld.com/international.php?ct=US
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

After suffering from severe headaches for 20+ years I finally gave a chiropractor
a shot. I was in the inenviable position of being in an accident while working for a major hospital chain and was locked into their workman's comp loop. I had seen over a dozen MD's during that time, each of which had different tactics and none of them did anything for me. Well, actually the last one did do something for me - He had me lifting extremely heavy weights with my neck until it was 75% stronger than when I started. What effect did it have on the headaches? They were 75% worse than before.
Like a lot of people, and even more-so working in a hospital setting, I was nervous about getting 'locked-in' to getting adjusted all the time just to feel normal. But over a period of a few months, at the recommendation of the chiropractor, I went from twice a week to once, then twice a month to once - now I go back for a little 'maintenance' every 3 months or so. He did mention that i'm one of the few who seems to hold their position so well - especially after leaving it out of whack for 20+ years, but yes, it's been a great experience. I must admit though - right after each 'CRACK' of the neck I check my fingers and toes to see if
I can still feel them.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
My mother in law is a Chiro junkie. She has been for over 30 years. She goes weekly, and sometimes even more. I guess it is her version of going to the hairdresser and getting her hair "set", as ladies of her age group often do.

It begs the question, if chiro's can fix someone, why would they have to have a regular visit for over 30 years. What ever it is, it makes her happy.

Most recently, her chiro did some heavy manipulation around her shoulder. Since then (5 weeks) she has not been able to lift her arm at all, brush her teeth with that hand, or do even mundane things with that arm. She has a deep bruise on that shoulder, and another deep bruise on her lower back/kidney area. Ity breaks my heart to see her that way.

I honestly want to go over and give that chiro the same treatment myself. I bet you I would get arrested for assault.

Because of the lack of regulation, I absolutely equate the "art" of chiropracy with voodoo. It may work for you, but mileage will vary, and they will not be shy about emptying your wallet.

Somehow, the ostepath's and massotherapists of the world do not suffer the same pad reputation even if their field is a bit more out there.
Joe,

You know often times there are those out there who preach the 3 times a week thing and i have to say that I as a chiropractor think thats inappropriate as well...

Now hear me on this though....

Initially, 3 times a week is nothing... especially in an acute situation... Think about it... If you went to the medical doctor and got a prescription you would have to take it sometimes 2 or 3 times a DAY... Now me seeing you 3 times a week is the only times I get to administer my treatment... So depending on the case 3 times a week for the first 2 or 3 weeks is reasonable... but 3 times a week for life is not....

To address you mother in law...

Some people can become addicted to chiropractic just like any other thing in life... I cannot tell you the amount of people who would love to be adjusted everyday that we have here in Long Beach... Those who come in once a week simply feel like they need it.... It helps them feel relaxed and relieved from the literal pressure of body weight being distributed on their disc, and facet joints for an entire week... I personally get adjusted once a week and feel the same way... It's great... I don't know her history with the chiro.... but i hate that shoulder incidence occurred with her especially being so loyal throughout the years... There has to be a reason he even adjusted the area though... What were her complaints before??? How old is she?? 5 weeks?

To equate Chiropractic with VOODOO is completely unsound in judgement... A chiropractor has to go through too much schooling and board exams to be even in the same sentence as voodoo...

The studies for chiro school and med school are essentially the same for the first 2 years... Where med students go more into pharmacology, chiro students go more into anatomy, biomechanics, and adjusting...

I will agree with you to some extent and say that there is some "skill" or art involved... You are touching people... moving segments in their spine... It definitely takes a large amout of skill...

Dr. CLisby
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas
After suffering from severe headaches for 20+ years I finally gave a chiropractor
a shot. I was in the inenviable position of being in an accident while working for a major hospital chain and was locked into their workman's comp loop. I had seen over a dozen MD's during that time, each of which had different tactics and none of them did anything for me. Well, actually the last one did do something for me - He had me lifting extremely heavy weights with my neck until it was 75% stronger than when I started. What effect did it have on the headaches? They were 75% worse than before.
Like a lot of people, and even more-so working in a hospital setting, I was nervous about getting 'locked-in' to getting adjusted all the time just to feel normal. But over a period of a few months, at the recommendation of the chiropractor, I went from twice a week to once, then twice a month to once - now I go back for a little 'maintenance' every 3 months or so. He did mention that i'm one of the few who seems to hold their position so well - especially after leaving it out of whack for 20+ years, but yes, it's been a great experience. I must admit though - right after each 'CRACK' of the neck I check my fingers and toes to see if
I can still feel them.
Good Story....
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

devil's advocate....

I'll throw this in - might rub some peoples backs up the wrong way....

By in large oestopathy, massage, what ever you call what a chiropractor does and numerous other therapies are short term in effect and outlook. They can very effectively sort out an immediate problem, but fail to address preventing the same problem from coming back.

In a nutshell, anyone with a back / posture / RSI / carpal tunnel / tendonitis / spine issue should be thinking LONG term and be looking at prevention, not SHORT term cure.

In my experience, Alexander Technique is the only therapy that does this - in the here and now it'll sort out a lot of what might be ailing you (and most AT teachers will happily direct you to a chiro / masseur / whatever to resolve any immediate problems they can't sort out pronto), but most importantly it equips you with a way of doing whatever it is that you want to be doing but without the associated problems - for life!

That maybe sounds like a snake oil presentation, but AT has a history of success stretching back almost 100 years, and is used daily by thousands of musos and singers to help them do what they do best; it's not by accident that many of the top music academies and faculties have AT taught as part of their curriculum. Google it.

Personally speaking, it saved me from a career ending bout of RSI, and sorted out my aching back a treat. It's the ****!

(Apologies if this comes over like a thread hijack, but it seemed relevant to the topics under discussion )
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

How can you mend a broken heart...?
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid
In my experience, Alexander Technique is the only therapy that does this..
another big for Alexander Technique. Sessions with an Alexander teacher are called "lessons" and the idea is to teach you how to use your body. While you might need a refresher lesson from time to time, it is not thought of as a "treatment" that needs to be ongoing.

My Alexander teacher gave me a series of lessons on the drum set. I ended up changing the height of my throne and angle of the drums and the back and neck problems I had after long gigs went went away.

I find that Chiropractic has been helpful to me when I have messed up my back, but Alexander helps prevent the problems from happening in the first place. Chiropractic, Yoga and Alexander all help you find the correct positions for your bones and muscles. Yoga gets you there by stretching you to the extremes in both directions and chiropracters seem to get you there by "popping" you into place. Alexander is gentler- it gets you there by a gentle 'reminder'

I think many alternative therapies are quite useful and certainly poorly understood by mainstream medicine. Unfortunately the lack of a theoretical underpinning for why these things work opens the door for much quackery.

For example: I can tell you from personal experience that acupuncture is dealing with some heavy ****. The lack of hard science about how and why it works opens the door to ridiculous stuff like "laser acupuncture".

I also have my doubts about how Chiropractors place all illnesses on the Procrustean Bed of subluxation. I am not going to a Chiropractor for kidney stones or pneumonia, but if I throw out my back I would go to one before I saw an MD.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah... I've been to a chiropractic once, and he fxxxed my spine pretty damn good. He did the "snapping" of every vertibrae and after that my bones in the neck started to do a kind of clicking (for lack of a better word) sound. It took years for it to stop. So no thanx to those people! And yes he was a certified one.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid
I'll throw this in - might rub some peoples backs up the wrong way....

By in large oestopathy, massage, what ever you call what a chiropractor does and numerous other therapies are short term in effect and outlook. They can very effectively sort out an immediate problem, but fail to address preventing the same problem from coming back.

In a nutshell, anyone with a back / posture / RSI / carpal tunnel / tendonitis / spine issue should be thinking LONG term and be looking at prevention, not SHORT term cure.

In my experience, Alexander Technique is the only therapy that does this - in the here and now it'll sort out a lot of what might be ailing you (and most AT teachers will happily direct you to a chiro / masseur / whatever to resolve any immediate problems they can't sort out pronto), but most importantly it equips you with a way of doing whatever it is that you want to be doing but without the associated problems - for life!

That maybe sounds like a snake oil presentation, but AT has a history of success stretching back almost 100 years, and is used daily by thousands of musos and singers to help them do what they do best; it's not by accident that many of the top music academies and faculties have AT taught as part of their curriculum. Google it.

Personally speaking, it saved me from a career ending bout of RSI, and sorted out my aching back a treat. It's the ****!

(Apologies if this comes over like a thread hijack, but it seemed relevant to the topics under discussion )
Yes. The Alexander Technique has helped many a performer! Worth investigating.
Old 6th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson
Interesting my experience with MD's is the opposite, pretty much any problem I've had, the MD has been fairly useless. If you find a good one they can help. I have carpal tunnel, they help with that and with back issues. I'm a big fan of acupuncture which has been amazing for me. The worst has been ear nose and throat guys, I've been to a few and they were worst than useless.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

I have something cool in my loft area. We bought an "Inversion Table" from "Relax the Back" store. I hang upside down for about 5-10 minutes 3 times a week. My back hasn't felt better. I had spinal surgery about 6 years ago with fusion from L-3 to S-1. I swear by it.

Regards,
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Re: "Automated bed"

My sister has an automated arm chair which she used to have in her waiting room before ( she´s a gynaecologist ). She says the waiting folks wouldn´t want to leave the thing.
I tried it out about 4 weeks ago and it´s really a blast. Best massage I ever had. It even felt like if it was short before unblocking my vertebra, too bad I had to leave after a short while.
And too bad that these things cost upwards from 3k, otherwise I´d be having one now.

Genial construction!!

Re: "Alexander"

The secret of prophylaxe is exercise to prolong muscles of the holding apparatus. It´s their shorting ( = muscles end transformation into tendon ) that makes violative.
Better posture can´t hurt additionally, sure.

Re: "Inversion table"

I had so called hanging shoes. Really miss them.
You also feel nicely refreshed in mind after each hanging session.
It´s even good for the looks in the long run, as the head gets well streamed with blood / oxygen.
I suppose the tables are more secure than hanging shoes.

Ruphus
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Nut
There is very little, if any, scientific evidence that chiro is beneficial beyond what a good masseuse can do. Further (and I think I noticed some discussion of this above) the theory/made up stuff about energy paths being manipulated by chiro is total bunk (I had a chiro friend of mine try to tell me that chiro opened up energy pathways, that lead to everything from injury healing to illness cures to cures for impotence). Also, chiro can be extremely dangerous, especially around the neck. A friend of mine a few years back actually had a blood clot released following a chiro neck adjustment, leading to emergency surgery and stroke-like symptoms. He was in the hospital for weeks.

As a poster said above, chiro is a short-term solution that seems to be driven primarily by the relaxed state that is sometimes induced following a session. A more proactive, preventative solution is exercise and stretching (yoga is a great combination of this, and fairly low impact).

Also, you can buy a 10 punch yoga class pass for about 80$. Much better for you, much more economical.

Fix the problem, not the symptoms.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search