The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Slutz Ever Tried CHIROPRACTIC????????? Headphone Amps
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
my wife is trying it

I dont see it a very good value for money if she keep having to go back

I prefer Osteopaths

Do you maintain your car? Do you maintain your tape machine?

Why on earth would anyone think a human body would be any different?
Old 15th November 2010
the good thing about the alexander technique, chiropractor network and some other things, is that your body remembers the action, and you can do it yourself. yoga helps too. a lot. that is, when it's not a terrible mess.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

I Love my Chiro, Dr. Daniel Webster, Whiteville, NC.

He made a tremendous impact on how I felt. I mean.,.it impacted my digestion/elimination, focus, muscle tone...everything really! Amazing!

The only thing I found weird is the stuff he did outside of that(he didnt charge)

he did the ionic foot baths(where the water turns black) , has Schumann generators around, etc. heh
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Chiro has become a touchy subject these days. It is getting more and more difficult to separate out the quacks from the effective practitioners. The scientific literature points to the fact that chiro can have immediate relief on low back pain, but beyond that it doesn't do much. Anything else a chiro claims they can do is pure pseudo-science and cooking of the meta studies books. Lump onto that the fact that neck adjustments and some back manipulations can potentially cause stroke (low instance, but still there for a practice that may be wholly un-necessary, buyer beware). Most back pain is self limiting and the association between doing something about it and it going away eventually is pretty strong.
Before seeing a chiro I highly recommend people read the literature from BOTH sides and investigate the claims made by chrios and the history of how it began (and why the AMA wanted to toss them out). I know if I had spent even a small amount of time educating myself I wouldn't have blown over $1000 on treatments that never helped me. I just didn't understand the difference between what they claimed they could do and what they actually could do.
That is, however, my anecdote and there are plenty of others who disagree and think chiros have saved their lives. There are also plenty of people that think fruit only diets, master cleanses and snake handling have improved their health, so take that as you will.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
Of course some people are getting screwed up by bad doctors, but those who are addicted I think, are by and large the same people who keep taking pills to cure themselves while taking no responsibility for the lifestyle change necessary to receive a full recovery. Any doctor who claims he/she can heal you single handedly is a fool! You are the biggest component of your own recovery for anything. They can perform the surgery, do the adjustment, prescribe the drugs, but you yourself are the most important part of how you heal.

Now I may preach the benefits of yoga (and those benefits are undeniable), but there are other ways to get exercise and stretching and if one is not willing to undertake those activities yourself you definitely can expect a protracted or incomplete healing process.

So if you have pain and are deliberating over seeing a chiro I say 1) get a recommendation from someone you know who had a good experience- which may mean drive a little farther or pay a little more, it's worth it and 2) expect some relief but don't expect a magic potion to "cure" you, that's your job...
While I still agree with most of what I said, I do not stand behind the practice of chiro any longer and will never go to one ever again. I started walking my dogs for 45 minutes every single morning and in 1 month I got rid of the pain that chiros couldn't solve in over 2 years, and I have remained pain free (unless I do something stupid in yoga class).

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaNce144 View Post
There is very little, if any, scientific evidence that chiro is beneficial beyond what a good masseuse can do. Further (and I think I noticed some discussion of this above) the theory/made up stuff about energy paths being manipulated by chiro is total bunk (I had a chiro friend of mine try to tell me that chiro opened up energy pathways, that lead to everything from injury healing to illness cures to cures for impotence). Also, chiro can be extremely dangerous, especially around the neck. A friend of mine a few years back actually had a blood clot released following a chiro neck adjustment, leading to emergency surgery and stroke-like symptoms. He was in the hospital for weeks.

As a poster said above, chiro is a short-term solution that seems to be driven primarily by the relaxed state that is sometimes induced following a session. A more proactive, preventative solution is exercise and stretching (yoga is a great combination of this, and fairly low impact).

Also, you can buy a 10 punch yoga class pass for about 80$. Much better for you, much more economical.

Fix the problem, not the symptoms.
Glad to see someone else state this, it cannot be overstated that chiro is not 100% risk free, especially considering the benefits from walking daily are probably greater and involve no risk of stroke!
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Do you maintain your car? Do you maintain your tape machine?

Why on earth would anyone think a human body would be any different?
Yeah, but the equivalent to your argument is draping your car in magic energy crystals to align it's chi.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
Yeah, but the equivalent to your argument is draping your car in magic energy crystals to align it's chi.

I went to one for the first time recently out of desperation and he did more for me in 2 visits than 18 months of non-stop doctors.

And he fixed more than just back problems although that was the root cause of everything else.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

For back/neck pain:
- you can either wait SEVEN days for the pain to go away, or
- a visit to the chiro can relieve the pain in only ONE week.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
I went to one for the first time recently out of desperation and he did more for me in 2 visits than 18 months of non-stop doctors.

And he fixed more than just back problems although that was the root cause of everything else.
Well, I have the exact opposite anecdote. So my anecdote vs. your anecdote... hmmm, science is on my side, my anecdote wins!!!
I keed I keed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
For back/neck pain:
- you can either wait SEVEN days for the pain to go away, or
- a visit to the chiro can relieve the pain in only ONE week.
heh, I like those odds.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search