The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rob Schnapf
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz m View Post
On youtube I watched Mike Mogis get drum sounds with his rack full of them and was pretty impressed. On your rec I ended up having Matt DelVecchio go through and rack my four Collins 356A-1 tube pres. He added a negative feedback control in the hope that it would give me that Coil vibe. It didn't, but I love them anyway.
Those Collins got to be a great thing to have around yes?
Old 7th October 2020
Here for the gear
Yeah I put them in my drum room on kick, snare, and room, they haven't made it upstairs yet. The neg feedback softens the top just a little, seems like a more subtle adjustment than the coils, but I haven't had them side by side. Also they don't really break up that nicely, I prefer to run them on the clean side.
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
As far as amps and mics, Elliott had a Top Hat Royale that we used sometimes but it was often uninspiring. He told me he had three 1960's Vox AC30s but had loaned them out to people and forgot who borrowed them. Kids, please don't smoke crack, it hurts your brain. Also, whoever borrowed and kept his amps: you suck. On some songs we went direct into a sansamp rather than bother with that amp. Maybe not the best sonic decision, but I did what was necessary to keep him recording when he had the feeling.

A lot of Soko's record was re-amped through my Harmony H410, which is why it sounds like that (bad?). lol
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

I remember the tophat had to get turned up to sound good.
Also it was probably beat into the ground tube wise.
He wasn’t so good about that.
And that thing was hard on tubes.
But it didn’t really sound like an AC-30.
It was kinda more on the old Marshall combo side of things.
Old 8th October 2020
Here for the gear
That explains why I always thought that amp was a terrible AC30 copy.

It's a shame I was so broke when I was working with him that I didn't have any of the nice sounding amps I have now. Just my Hooks projector amp would have covered everything we needed. Such is life.
Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

I will say from what I remember the tophat didn’t really compress the same way.
I remember taking Elliott to the tophat factory to get it serviced.
We walked it in got re EL84’d fixed something in the bias supply And then biased.
Sounded real good that day....
On another note my AC30 and Marshall’s sound really good at 110v compared to the 122 coming out of the wall.
The old Laney greatly improves at around 105v.
Takes the hardness out.....
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Interesting. Sorry to jump in, has anyone ever played around with running tube mic preamps on lower than they expect voltage for a different sonic angle?
Old 9th October 2020
Here for the gear
I've been powering many of my amps using a variac for many years, mostly because I just can't listen to anything loud any longer without the ringing. I hadn't noticed them sounding better but I have seen some that are really efficient with less power. The TnB 50 stays pretty loud until around 60v.

How did you determine it sounded better? I'm assuming you had it mic'ed up and sounding pretty good before playing with the voltage?

Karloff I read your question about tube mic pres as being about tube mics so I guess I'll have to try starving both of those things for fun. Will report back.
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz m View Post

Karloff I read your question about tube mic pres as being about tube mics so I guess I'll have to try starving both of those things for fun. Will report back.
No, I meant mic pres as it were. I have some old Roberts rebuilds here and suddenly I am wondering what they would do if I starve them a bit. They also function as guitar heads, so doubly interesting.

Having said that, now I want to starve my MD1A as well. lol. Maybe I need a variac.
Old 10th October 2020
Lives for gear

60 volts? yikes, you’re gonna kill that thing.
Yeah from listening to them.
You can hear the hardness ease up a bit.
Or they just get a little sweeter or something.
A lot of these old amps are designed for 110v.
So I was curious what they’d sound like not
At 122v or whatever.
Old 11th October 2020
Here for the gear
60 volts is my jam. Doesn't seem to cause any issues. I've been doing it for years. Don't jinx me now.

I've been told Neil Young keeps his Deluxe at 110v or something in that area code. I guess you guys are on to something.
Old 11th October 2020
Lives for gear

I‘ll just leave this here...
Old 11th October 2020
Lives for gear

I know that dropping the voltage too much will affect the filament voltage.
The tubes wanna see 6.3v If that drops too much it just sounds like ****.
And if operated below 6v for extended periods it can reduce tube life via “cathode poisoning” (So I’m told...j
But with my particular laney and orange heads the B+ is really high.
So thusly the screen volatage is really high.
The old tubes could take the high screen voltages.
New tubes aren’t so friendly with the high screen voltages.
Old 13th October 2020
Here for the gear
Out of curiosity, how many amps (more or less) do you have nowadays?

I assume you have ones that work well with specific guitars or for certain sounds, is there one you use on most every project?

I find myself using the same one most of the time, the Hooks projector, because it can sound like a few different amps depending on how you set it. Also switched to using the AEA N22 and never looked back.
Old 14th October 2020
Lives for gear

I think I’m Over 60 amps.
For combos Still use Ampeg Gemini 1 a lot
A single channel deluxe ish circuit with verb no trem that I built.
Brown deluxe
Gibson GA20
Traynor Bassmate
Heads really depends and as you know it’s kinda all over the place depending on the record and the vibe.
Sometimes one amp and one guitar will just shine with somebody
Old 14th October 2020
Here for the gear
60amps, wow, if MMS was aware of this number you might be asked to "thin the herd." lol

I have a Gemini II that doesn't see much use outside of jam session bass duty. The 1 has a 12" speaker, right? Maybe that's what makes it more useful than the 15".

Is the deluxe ish amp the Allen that you built a while back or some newer creation?

Ok last question, for the heads, do you have a main cabinet/speakers you generally start with? Different speakers can make such a huge difference, certainly bigger than changing mics or pres.

I remember years ago coming to a studio in the valley while you were working and I asked Doug Bohem how you got this particular guitar sound I was hearing. He looked at me like I was nuts and said you just put a mic in front of it. I was kinda pissed at the time but I've come to realize the truth in that. Getting it right at the source is how you end up with 60 amps, I imagine.

Sorry but I guess I've started interviewing you here without your consent.
Old 14th October 2020
Here for the gear
60amps, wow, if MMS was aware of this number you might be asked to "thin the herd." lol

I have a Gemini II that doesn't see much use outside of jam session bass duty. The 1 has a 12" speaker, right? Maybe that's what makes it more useful than the 15".

Is the deluxe ish amp the Allen that you built a while back or some newer creation?

Ok last question, for the heads, do you have a main cabinet/speakers you generally start with? Different speakers can make such a huge difference, certainly bigger than changing mics or pres.

I remember years ago coming to a studio in the valley while you were working and I asked Doug Bohem how you got this particular guitar sound I was hearing. He looked at me like I was nuts and said you just put a mic in front of it. I was kinda pissed at the time but I've come to realize the truth in that. Getting it right at the source is how you end up with 60 amps, I imagine.

Sorry but I guess I've started interviewing you here without your consent.
Old 15th October 2020
Lives for gear

60 amps over 30plus years isn’t too crazy (to me)
But it is kinda crazy trying to keep them all working.
So while I have four Marshall’s they’re all different circuits.
Some weird **** mixed in there too.
And only getting something when it is affordable and sonically makes sense.
Not for collecting .
The GeminI 2 Is different then the Gemini1.
It’s fixed bias as opposed to cathode bias.
So it’s a little higher headroom and higher output.
Yeah the single channel deluxe is the Allen and I’ve been tweaking on it since I built it in 1997.
Pretty much learned everything I know about amps in that chassis.
Did lots of what amounted to bad mods too it But wanted to try different concepts so I could hear them for myself.
Debunked some hype, learned a **** ton.
Anyways, I haven’t changed anything in it in over two years and it’s been a workhorse.
Yes, getting it right at the source.
The right gtr into the right amp makes the picture easier to paint.
And I always go to the amp and mess with the tone controls first rather then just adding eq across the mic.
Yadda yadda yadda
We could do this in person sometime too.
Mmm beer
Old 15th October 2020
Here for the gear
Are there any amps you feel like you're still lacking? The great white whale of amplification?

Will text re: beer, sounds fun
Old 16th October 2020
Lives for gear

Not really
But Every now and again You come across something that seems great.

Last edited by rob S; 16th October 2020 at 07:40 PM..
Old 16th October 2020
Lives for gear

Not being funny but is a DUMBLE amp really worth 100K?

There is one on ebay or reverb i saw this week and it would need to have some pretty cool tricks up it's sleeve to make it worth while outside of being THE best amp on earth.
Old 17th October 2020
Lives for gear

Haha

Definitely

Not
Old 20th October 2020
Here for the gear
Just to keep my interview going a little longer here, what does the wizard have to say about speakers/cabs for the heads?

Are there any favorites that are obtainable? I've got a surprisingly nice pair of Weber neodym 12s that I use to take the edge off and the Scumback M75 to put it back.

I could use a few more options.

Also, do you record with the cabinet directly on the floor or raised up somehow?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Way more Vibey than the therm Phoenix
Sta and 176 sold.Ended up with 3 bg2 ‘s.
Get the new stereo BG.
2 ch and more attack release functions.
BG1 on the way
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear