The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rob Schnapf
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I did the Gerald Weber tweed conversion on my silverface Vibro Champ. One of the best sounds I have heard. That thing keeps breaking down though and I haven't had the guts to bring her back to life yet. Shouldn't be hard it's just a mental challenge. Need to re-enable the vibrato, too. Stupid that I took that out.

Showman got a tone stack lift on channel 1, that's a cool sound, good for bass. Way too loud though without the insertion loss of the tone stack. Have to keep the volume at 1 or 2 at the most. sounds good blended with the second channel with a jumper across the channels.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When I do that tone lift mod I put it on a switch either on the mid control or if it doesn’t have the mid control, I’ll add one and either have it be switchable or push pull.
I Do the same with the neg feedback.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinopup View Post
Did the 15 dollar "tweed mod" on the normal channel of my blackface deluxe reverb as described on the Vintage Fender Amp Repair website. Became incredibly useful for fuzz pedals - muffs, germanium - all the pedals that usually sound horrific. Also the mod to get reverb and trem in the normal channel combined with the tweed mod is awesome...real link wray ****
What’s the $15 tweed mod?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I wish I could remember specifically what I did, it was like 5 years ago, but I think these plexi/tweed etc mods for fender normal channels are all slight variations on the same idea - a couple cap values and maybe moving a solder joint. The "15 dollar" part was just how much this kit with NOS parts cost me off the website vintagefenderamprepair.com - great little website with some cool ideas for suping up silverface amps
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Usually the tone section has different cap values.
.022ufd for bass and mid instead of .1 and .047ufd.
With 56k slope instead of 100k.
That seems the obviouse difference.
Definitely doesn’t make it sound like a tweed or plexi.
I think I like the a mix of the two for the blackface/silverface non cathode follower circuit.
The 100k slope with the .022s.
Bored to death yet?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinopup View Post
Did the 15 dollar "tweed mod" on the normal channel of my blackface deluxe reverb as described on the Vintage Fender Amp Repair website. Became incredibly useful for fuzz pedals - muffs, germanium - all the pedals that usually sound horrific. Also the mod to get reverb and trem in the normal channel combined with the tweed mod is awesome...real link wray ****
Where is this mod found online? (linky?)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post
Where is this mod found online? (linky?)
The link for that version of the "tweed" mod is right here https://vintagefenderamprepair.com/p...tweed-preamp-1

And I do agree with Rob that this mod sounds nothing like a tweed or a plexi - even the fact that people use those terms interchangeably for the same mod is pretty funny. It's more of a Dark channel with tons of mids. I usually set the bass low and treble high and drive the **** out of it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah It’s just a revoicing of the tone section.
Change those two caps like I said and if the channel has no mid control
You increase the resistor hanging of the bass pot to ground. That’s your mid preset.
A lot of times it’s 6.8k bump it up and see what you like.
10k is cool more mid forward.
If you break the connection to ground then you have just lifted the tone section out of the circuit and you will get a huge boost.
So you have two options.
Find a preset resistor you like followed by a switch and now you will have the ability to lift whenever you want.
Or replace the resistor with say a 50k pot. It will act like both a mid control then turn into more of a boost as it creates more resistance to the ground connection.
Woo hoo.....
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Woo hoo hahaha

I love this thread. Best thread on the site.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Enabler. Hard to resist the Elvis reference.
Found a minty local re10. Maybe should refoam these though.

Btw, this is pretty nice if one is in need of a good spring for gt/synths. I got it for an old bassman & Vibrochamp.
A pedal that controls 3 different tanks, gets here in 3 days from France & sounds as good as a fender stand alone ime.
For around $300. Anasounds element.
So, how is it?
I was eyeing these.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Yeah It’s just a revoicing of the tone section.
Change those two caps like I said and if the channel has no mid control
You increase the resistor hanging of the bass pot to ground. That’s your mid preset.
A lot of times it’s 6.8k bump it up and see what you like.
10k is cool more mid forward.
If you break the connection to ground then you have just lifted the tone section out of the circuit and you will get a huge boost.
So you have two options.
Find a preset resistor you like followed by a switch and now you will have the ability to lift whenever you want.
Or replace the resistor with say a 50k pot. It will act like both a mid control then turn into more of a boost as it creates more resistance to the ground connection.
Woo hoo.....
ohhh very cool tip, I'll open it up and try different resistors for mid 'presets' - thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Favour ask:

Has anyone in this thread got a good recommendation for a luthier in the LA area that would do neck resets on old Yamaha FG acoustics as part of his tricks at all?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Reuben at oldstyle guitars in silverlake
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Reuben at oldstyle guitars in silverlake
Awesome thank you! Like I say, I love this thread. It's more like the kitchen than a kitchen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
So, how is it?
I was eyeing these.
Really liking it here. Mostly use the lg tank for Gts though the medium is useful too mostly for synths. The saturation boost switch is cool to have. There’s clips online to check out but yeah, does the trick.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anybody tried the Grampian spring reissues?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Anybody tried the Grampian spring reissues?
Interesting
Who’s doing them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Favour ask:

Has anyone in this thread got a good recommendation for a luthier in the LA area that would do neck resets on old Yamaha FG acoustics as part of his tricks at all?
bill asher at asher guitars.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Favour ask:

John Wescott
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Choices raining in.....thank you fellers! Much appreciated. Trying to help out a friend over your way, and now she has a few choices.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
John Wescott
Absolutely.

If he's unavailable for some reason, Tina at the Amp Shop is wonderful. But the guys she works for, not so much.

See my Yelp review.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Interesting
Who’s doing them?
Soundgas in the Englands
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Soundgas in the Englands
Oh yeah the guys that restore EMS Synthi’s and tape delays and stuff.
Bet it’s xpensive
Hype the originals as holy grail then $$
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

like everything that’s old
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Without intending to rudely sideline the thread at all, I would love to hear anyone from this thread opine on a problem I made a thread in the guitar section about. If anyone fancies killing a few minutes with an acoustic guitar muck/tone riddle, that is.....

Vintage acoustic tone affected by dirt on the body?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But Soundgas is notoriously expensive, though, even with less than stellar gear.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Roger that
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
Quote:
But Soundgas is notoriously expensive, though, even with less than stellar gear.
I disagree with this assessment.

They're prices may sometimes be be on the higher side of the going market rate for vintage stuff, but they usually seem reasonably priced to me.

I've bought several synths and drum machines from them and have had no complaints about the condition of the instruments.

They are also really cool people who are passionate about this stuff.

Just wanted to counterweigh that negative comment. Carry on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search